Daily Drive fee for Manhattan

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daily Drive fee for Manhattan

Mayor Mike Bloomberg is attempting to introduce an $8 a day Congestion Fee for every vehicle that enters Manhattan below 86th street.

http://wcbstv.com/topstories/local_story_110131425.html

Not even per day mind you, but every time you make the drive. Oh yea, you still have to pay the normal standard fares for any other tolls you cross normally.

Lucky Shot

Re: Daily Drive fee for Manhattan

I expect it'll be more effective than car-pool lanes at reducing congestion - as discussed before, it is all about setting appropriate incentives and penalties to influence the action of a population.

London has a congestion tax also. Studying what happened there would be a good place to learn about the short and mid-term effects of a congestion charge. It appears (from skimming the wiki article) that long term effects are hard to track, because of the dynamic nature of cities.

Originally posted by Lucky Shot
    you still have to pay the normal standard fares for any other tolls you cross normally.
    Not according to the article (unless I'm misunderstanding what you are saying here).
    Originally posted by WCBSTV
    That charge would:

-- Include any bridge or tunnel tolls people already pay

[drill][medic][conduct][tg-c1][tpf-c1]
    [ma-c2][taw-c1]

Principles of good Sandbox Etiquette:
    Assume good faith - Be polite, please! - Work toward agreement. - Argue facts, not personalities. - Concede a point when you have no response to it, or admit when you disagree based on intuition or taste. - Be civil. - Be prepared to apologize. In animated discussions, we often say things we later wish we hadn't. Say so. - Forgive and forget. - Recognize your own biases and keep them in check. - Give praise when due.

Treat others as you would have them treat you

Comment

It says that it includes bridge and tunnel tolls. So, it won't be that bad if you're going from NJ to Manhattan or Staten Island to Manhattan and back again, since those tolls are already $6 coming in. It will suck for people going from Brooklyn to Manhattan over the Manhattan bridge, which has no toll. That's my favored way in to the Manhattan from Long Island.

Comment

Misread that late last night. So $8 to enter the city during prime time. Doesn't include parking or other fees you may have to pay.

Lucky Shot

Comment

Toronto is considering the exact same thing, except at $20 CAN ($0.50 US ;))a pop.

http://www.citynews.ca/news/news_8025.aspx

Unfortunately, I only think this type of tax will work, and is acceptable, if there is a corresponding increase in public transit investment. Otherwise this will just hurt people who work and keep these centres running as they just can't plain afford to get to work, or will have to live farther away (i.e. cheaper) to maintain the same lifestyle.

Bear in mind I've never been to NY, but these urban issues are usually fairly universal. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by JAMerica View Post
            Unfortunately, I only think this type of tax will work, and is acceptable, if there is a corresponding increase in public transit investment. Otherwise this will just hurt people who work and keep these centres running as they just can't plain afford to get to work, or will have to live farther away (i.e. cheaper) to maintain the same lifestyle.

Bear in mind I've never been to NY, but these urban issues are usually fairly universal. Correct me if I'm wrong.
            No, I was just about to mention the same thing. Mass transit is already VERY well used in NYC, so without somehow upgrading their transit system, I don't see how this will do anything but fill the coffers of the city.
            Become a supporting member!
            Buy a Tactical Duck!
            Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
            TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Good idea to me.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed