America Takes another Step in the Right Direction

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• America Takes another Step in the Right Direction

America has been an innovator in human rights, one of the by-products of the American Creed that celebrates individual liberties. Another movement towards a stance of human rights that brings it more in line with Canadian and European attitudes was made again this week:

"GAY AND LESBIAN couples in New Hampshire took a step closer to gaining official recognition of their relationships when Gov. John Lynch (D) said this week he would sign legislation to establish civil unions in the Granite State. "I believe it is a matter of conscience, fairness and preventing discrimination," he said Thursday. We agree. Other states should follow suit.

It seems gay marriage and civil unions are taking root in the Northeast. Massachusetts is the only state in the union to make gay marriage legal. Vermont, Connecticut and New Jersey have instituted civil unions. New Hampshire will do the sa me next week if its state Senate follows the House's approval of legislation that allows homosexual couples "to enter spousal unions and have the same rights, responsibilities, and obligations as married couples." Limited domestic partnerships are provided for in Maine, Hawaii and the District of Columbia. California has domestic partnership that offers almost all the state-level benefits of marriage.

As we have said, there is no reason homosexual couples in loving and committed relationships should not be recognized by their states and have the rights and responsibilities that go with that recognition. Gay marriage would be optimal. But the adoption of civil unions and domestic partnerships by some states is a good thing. Good because the experience of those states will show their residents and others around the country that there is nothing to fear from granting gay and lesbian couples rights such as hospital visitation. Good because -- just maybe -- opponents will see that gay marriage or similar arrangements are no threat to heterosexual marriage."*

Editorial from today's Washington Post.
    sigpic

Re: America Takes another Step in the Right Direction

Why did this thread get a one-star rating and no response? That's rather childish.
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. ~
    I have a tendency to key out three or four things and then let them battle for supremacy while I key, so there's a lot of backspacing as potential statements are slaughtered and eaten by the victors. ~
    Feel free to quote me. ~

Comment

The government should just get out of the marriage business altogether.
      A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

"$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

Comment

Originally posted by xTYBALTx View Post
        Indeed.
        Become a supporting member!
        Buy a Tactical Duck!
        Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
        TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Thirded.

Comment

Originally posted by xTYBALTx View Post
            disagree, which would leave it up to the church, then if you are gay your screwed... civil partnerships are not a bad idea.

www.TeamElement.com

Comment

Originally posted by ednos View Post
              Why did this thread get a one-star rating and no response? That's rather childish.
              Possibly the title. When a non-American determines what the "right" direction is for America it may tend to rub people the wrong way. I think the "right" direction is the one that is best suited to that countries citizens.
              Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

Originally posted by Apophis View Post
                Possibly the title. When a non-American determines what the "right" direction is for America it may tend to rub people the wrong way. I think the "right" direction is the one that is best suited to that countries citizens.
                yes and this would be the policy that the UN and United states take over middle eastern countries and anyone else... no way, i agree it might have rubbed people the wrong way but, like it of not, your country as with anyone elses is judged daily by everyone else.

www.TeamElement.com

Comment

Fourthed on the marriage thing. It's an archaic institution that doesn't really need to be recognised by the civic sphere. But hey, if we're going to recognize one kind of marriage, might as well just open the doors to everyone.

Comment

A fall in the camp of getting government out of "marriage" as well. If the goverment wants to apply regulations, laws, benefits, or whatever to the union of two individuals, it should be a purely legal aggrement like forming a corporation of signing a business contract...and it should be open to anybody.

Comment

Originally posted by Nerd Ferguson View Post
                      A fall in the camp of getting government out of "marriage" as well. If the goverment wants to apply regulations, laws, benefits, or whatever to the union of two individuals, it should be a purely legal aggrement like forming a corporation of signing a business contract...and it should be open to anybody.
                      so you would advocate removing government from marriage all together and leave it to the churches, but you also think that noone should be excluded in which case leaving it to the church is a bad idea...

or are you just saying that government should bypass the church and make it a contract recognised by law between two people whomever they are... if so i agree.

www.TeamElement.com

Comment

Originally posted by thebleakaffinity View Post
                        Fourthed on the marriage thing. It's an archaic institution that doesn't really need to be recognised by the civic sphere. But hey, if we're going to recognize one kind of marriage, might as well just open the doors to everyone.
                        agreed, the whole ceremony of marriage revolves around private property anyway... (traditionally)

www.TeamElement.com

Comment

As for the government and the special things that come with a legal marriage, homosexuals should get just as many rights as heterosexuals. This just comes as common sense to me.

As for churches, they are not state run so if they want to deny homosexuals the right to have a marriage with a priest and all of that, thats their thing. Its very bigoted and goes against everything a religion should stand for, but its their thing and they have the right to do it just as much as any group has the right to spew hate.

Comment

Originally posted by DudeMan View Post
                            so you would advocate removing government from marriage all together and leave it to the churches, but you also think that noone should be excluded in which case leaving it to the church is a bad idea...

or are you just saying that government should bypass the church and make it a contract recognised by law between two people whomever they are... if so i agree.
                            Find a different religion, or get married by a ship captain. I support the government getting out of marriages including equal taxation and removing deductions for children.

Lucky Shot

Comment

Originally posted by Lucky Shot View Post
                              Find a different religion, or get married by a ship captain. I support the government getting out of marriages including equal taxation and removing deductions for children.

Lucky Shot
                              get a different religion.... what?, religion has been reformed by themselves since, well the creation of the religion. why should people stop trying to change the obviously rubbish notions espoused today. secondly, who mentioned religion leave the fuddy duddy priests alone, and have a regestry office do and be legally married...

www.TeamElement.com

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X