Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Let's hope this doesn't pass for Canada's sake.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let's hope this doesn't pass for Canada's sake.

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...ensorship.html

This probably has no chance of passing, but let's all hope it doesn't. Not that I care about other countries' politics too much, but I'd hate for our neighbors of the north to get perma-banned from our TG servers by their government due to these types of laws.

Germany's already trying to push their issues on the EU trying to ban violent videogames EU wide.
    In addition to banning “Counter Strike,” the German bill under debate could outlaw popular movie franchise titles such as the "Star-Trek" series, "The Lord of the Rings," "The Battle for Middle-earth II" and "Scarface: The World Is Yours."
    http://www.infoworld.com/article/07/...eogames_1.html
    Come on! A Lord of the Rings RTS too violent???!!! Hmm. Looks like Germany is once a again the worlds leader in banning things. Here we go again. And I thought the US was bad about freaking out about issues and jumping to make stupid legislation.
    "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Re: Let's hope this doesn't pass for Canada's sake.

That's the thing about being a more "important/powerful/impactive" nation (not meant to offend, I just can't think of the right word). You tend to be under more scrutiny than "less important" nations.

The waves of outcry against video games and video game violence will die off as people who grew up in the 80's and 90's become prominent political figures. Until then, sometimes it just sucks to live some places, in regard to certain criteria.

Comment

Originally posted by Karkianman101 View Post
      The waves of outcry against video games and video game violence will die off as people who grew up in the 80's and 90's become prominent political figures.
      I bet you are absolutely correct in your theory. You are wise young pattawan. Lets just hope that our games don't get banned before our generation comes into power.
      "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

I think we'll be fine unless this scenario comes to pass:
        An abnormally large amount of electrical usage is detected at a middle-class house.
        Anti-Geek Squad arrives in black suits and white ties driving pimped-out Hummers, and bashes down the door with their muscular foreheads.
        They storm the place and clear the house, and then congregate around the basement door.
        Bursting in and down the stairs, two fall to the stench of bad ventilation, biologically-processed processed food, and the living anti anti-perspirant, palms still sweaty from non-lethally neutralizing thugs in SWAT 4.
        He presses a button, and massive magnets jet out from the wall and make laps around his external harddrive, which is then set on fire. The images vanish from his screen before the gas-mask wearing PiB's (Persons in Black) can get a good look.
        The Geek stands to face them, triumph leaking through his mask of fear and obediance. But he does not know about the Retina Scanner 5,000.
        He screams as one PiB jams a cabbage-type thingy into his eye-socket, and goes quiet as he catches sight out his other eye of a projection on the far wall.
        As he sees himself clear a warehouse of drug-abusers in reverse, he hears another PiB state his non-rights.
        Preemptive mass murderers have no rights.

Comment

No, it will not pass. It is private members bill by a wingnut Conservative MP.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by War.mongeR1 View Post
            I bet you are absolutely correct in your theory. You are wise young pattawan. Lets just hope that our games don't get banned before our generation comes into power.
            ARGH!

Anyways, even if it did pass (doubtful), I don't think TG servers (hosted in Dallas, TX) are applicable to Canadian law. So, it's not like Apophis would be banning whole subnets or anything.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFeniX View Post
              So, it's not like Apophis would be banning whole subnets or anything.
              If the law passed, I don't think it would be Apophis doing the banning. Likely Canada or whatever country that bans something would filter out IPs with the objectionable content.

Probably something much more intensive than, but similar to, China's filtering of searches for democracy, freedom and cute puppies on the interweb.
              [squadl]
              "I am the prettiest african-american, vietnamese..cong..person." -SugarNCamo

Comment

The insanity of members of parliament is so funny sometimes. "wingnut" is a good description. I guess it's one way to get your name in the news.
                Peace through fear... since 1947!

Comment

Originally posted by War.mongeR1 View Post
                  Here we go again. And I thought the US was bad about freaking out about issues and jumping to make stupid legislation.
                  Heh. As much as I love my country, we have just as many loud and obnoxious politicians hellbent on breaking the future before it can produce evil robots that will destroy us all.

What I love about this proposal is that if an employee of the ISP was to commit a crime, the government could take it's... um. ISPing liscense away. As far as I'm concerned, that would be like revoking the Catholic churches ability to practice and support religion cause some priest somewhere got naughty with an altar boy.

If i wasn't at work at the moment, I'd track down this MP's constituency, but i'm betting it's some small area in Saskatchewan that's filled with farmers. My guess is that the median age is.. oh, iunnoo... 64.

"Violence on the Intarwebs is the source of all crime!"

I'm planning on respeccing to Irritation pretty soon. Granted, I'll lose the burst DPS from Pissing People Off Outright, but I'll get DoT's and higher damage through AoE's.

Comment

The real issue here, is that if the law in Germany gets passed, Crysis' release date might be pushed back! And I played my first online computer FPS in Germany, so despite the fact that I'm not there anymore, it would still be pretty sad. Luckily in the U.S. we have the freedom of speech that allows us to play our games in which we can kill people over and over again. :)

-----------------------------------------
                    WMDs: Iraq 0
                    Albuquerque, NM 2500
                    -----------------------------------------

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed