Carbon Credit Industry

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carbon Credit Industry

The Financial Times reports on fraud within the Carbon Credit industry.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/48e334ce-f35...b5df10621.html

Lucky Shot

Re: Carbon Credit Industry

Ah ha! Just as I had suspected. Thanks for sharing this. It's like Al Gore's company, where he essentially pays himself for his carbon credits.
    "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

I'm not going to read the article, but I thought about starting up a carbon credit business. I wouldn't even commit outright fraud. I'd plant a tree for every $10,000 I receive.
      Become a supporting member!
      Buy a Tactical Duck!
      Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
      TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality View Post
        I'm not going to read the article, but I thought about starting up a carbon credit business. I wouldn't even commit outright fraud. I'd plant a tree for every $10,000 I receive.
        That's Gangsta

Comment

Yes, that whole carbon credit foolishness will just be another form of greenwash -- companies like Shell using PR tactics to postion themselves as enviro saviours.

I can't believe how much the Earth as lost in my mere forty four years on this planet. Another forty and we may have finished the job of turning it into a radioactive toilet.

Damn shame.
          sigpic

Comment

Yes, ever since the inception of carbon trading I've always felt that the only ones that would benefit are the lawyers who will find and exploit the loopholes. Some of them may even feel good about it since they are now part of the "green" economy. It's hard to see any direct environmental benefit from this.
            Last edited by Brewski; 04-26-2007, 10:47 AM. Reason: grammar

Comment

Originally posted by E-Male View Post
              Yes, that whole carbon credit foolishness will just be another form of greenwash -- companies like Shell using PR tactics to postion themselves as enviro saviours.
              Cool! Looks like we might actually agree on something for once! Right on, E-Male!

Comment

Can anybody name any program that is devoid of fraud?

I don't think the issue is if there is fraud but if the program actually accomplishes what it sets out to do.

I would say that if it lowered carbon emissions by 50% but 75% of the transactions where fraudulent then it would be a good program.

Of course I don't think it has done either of those so I don't know if it is an effective program.

Anybody else know? Has it done anything to curb carbon emissions? Is it's effectiveness in the article?
                Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
                - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
                - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
                - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
                - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
                - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
                - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Originally posted by El_Gringo_Grande View Post
                  Anybody else know? Has it done anything to curb carbon emissions? Is it's effectiveness in the article?
                  Originally posted by The Article
                  The FT investigation found:

■ Widespread instances of people and organisations buying worthless credits that do not yield any reductions in carbon emissions.
                  Nope. Hasn't seemed to help much.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...