Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: gas prices ?

Originally posted by jex
    Of course if everyone drove cars that didn't do crappy miles to the gallon you could save more of your money (oh and the environment but who gives a damn about that, right). Anyone who drives a gas guzzler and complains about petrol prices just makes yourself look silly imo.

oh yeah really jex because its just that simpole isnt it.

my dad used to drive a people carrier, or MPV because we have a large family, not really his fault and he pays tAX ALL HIS LIFE SINCE HE WAS 18... now he had to cough up lots of money for petrol, to fill a 2 litre engine which nowadays is considrered at least in england a gas guzzler... it would cost him 65 which is about $120

is he stupid, no he had to have that vehicle, **** the tax on fuel **** the enviroment, there is no link absolutly proven between cars and fossil fuels and global warming, many scientists around the world are now sayin that the earth has a cycle that it repeats every 100 million years where by the carbon dioxides in the atmosphere build up

and anyway there are not many fossil fuels left so why bother about them now.

www.TeamElement.com

Comment

Not driving a gas guzzler here, and paying about 2.10/gal, reluctantly.

Comment

Originally posted by Geisha
        Yeah I also remember buying gas in Oklahoma 5-6 years ago for $.74/gal!

I remember 96 as well... hit .69 here for 2 months....

now deisel is 1.56 and reg 87 is 2.19... but I live in a tourist town, 15 miles west, it is only 1.95, but you waste the 4 bucks you save on the drive....

I like my 37mpg nissan 200sx and I'm about to purchase a '75 mercedes 740sl convertible... I think it's a deisel v8, but even if it's gas, the thing weighs like 2100 lbs (thats like 1000 kilos for you limeys, i think) so it gets 28 or 30.... my wife gets 34 in her mitsu galant, and since we carpool, 25$ still goes for 2 weeks, bring on 5.00/gal!!!!!!

and btw, if you were to trade in the yukon for a 4banger now, you would loose like 4000 on the wholesale because everyone is trying to unload them...... it would take you more than 10 years to get your money back in gas savings......

its better to get like a huge expedition diesel v8 that gets 24 mpg on 1.69/gall than a civic that gets 30 mpg on 1.95/gall..... do the math.

huge 6.3 litre v8 = $0.1420/mile (seats 7 comfortable and can tow 4000 lbs and still get 24 mpg)
        tiny 1.8 litre 4 cyl = $0.1538/mile (seats 5 UNcomfortable and can tow less than 1000 lbs, but drops to 22-23 mpg)

NOW who has the better deal?
        Last edited by =DdogG=; 06-01-2004, 11:00 PM.
        Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
        The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

Only for the sake of correctness do I even bother.

Originally posted by patorean
          American gallon = 3.8L
          Imperial(British) Gallon = 4.54L

A litre is always a litre. The difference between American and Imperial gallons is .74L

<sigh> BUT if an American gallon is 3.8 litres and we are comparing American prices to England, why would we use the British gallon? An American gallon is 3.8 litres. Using Jex's price for a litre, it would be 3.104 pounds for an American gallon or $5.72. My math is correct and almost saves me a $1 at the pumps. :icon16:

Comment

Originally posted by DudeMan
            oh yeah really jex because its just that simpole isnt it.

my dad used to drive a people carrier, or MPV because we have a large family, not really his fault and he pays tAX ALL HIS LIFE SINCE HE WAS 18... now he had to cough up lots of money for petrol, to fill a 2 litre engine which nowadays is considrered at least in england a gas guzzler... it would cost him 65 which is about $120

is he stupid, no he had to have that vehicle, **** the tax on fuel **** the enviroment, there is no link absolutly proven between cars and fossil fuels and global warming, many scientists around the world are now sayin that the earth has a cycle that it repeats every 100 million years where by the carbon dioxides in the atmosphere build up

i wouldn't consider that a gas guzzler. I was thinking more like those cars that do 10-20 mpg. If you buy one then don't complain as there are cheaper alternatives out there.
            Jex.

Comment

Originally posted by jex
              i wouldn't consider that a gas guzzler. I was thinking more like those cars that do 10-20 mpg. If you buy one then don't complain as there are cheaper alternatives out there.
              True that. A good always wins the conversation.
              If it is stupid but works, then it is not stupid.
              -Murphy

Comment

Kerry advocates gas taxes to promote conservation and Bush (quietly) buys a truck that runs on Propane. Hmm.

Comment

Originally posted by leejo
                  Kerry advocates gas taxes to promote conservation and Bush (quietly) buys a truck that runs on Propane. Hmm.
                  old story, bad comparison.

need some new material.
                  --
                  CaveDog
                  "Go sell crazy somewhere else... we're all stocked up here."

Comment

Originally posted by DudeMan
                    there is no link absolutly proven between cars and fossil fuels and global warming, many scientists around the world are now sayin that the earth has a cycle that it repeats every 100 million years where by the carbon dioxides in the atmosphere build up
                    Yeah, and the tabacco companies will point out that there hasn't been a proven link between smoking and lung cancer. It also hasn't been proven that we went to the moon in the 60's either.

I don't nessisarly disagree that we can't really know the entire climate cycle of the earth, seeing how we've only been here a little while and have been keeping records an even shorter time. But there has been a huge increase in greenhouse gasses, and mainly that increase can be correlated to the use of fossil fuels. That doesn't mean that we are going to hell in a handbasket and that the Bush admin is driving us there in his highly politicised butane(oops, propane) pickup, but I think there is some cause of concern. At least some research.

Isn't that a great reason to bother about them? We need alternate fuel. And soon. And not just because of "global warming". Yes, they say that the world has a lot of fuel left, but they don't tell you how much of an increase in extraction costs there will be to get at it, if it exists at all. Its been said that we have already gotten to the cheap oil, and when that runs out, it will be very costly.
                    Last edited by CaveDog; 06-02-2004, 01:28 PM. Reason: propane != butane
                    --
                    CaveDog
                    "Go sell crazy somewhere else... we're all stocked up here."

Comment

Originally posted by eternal
                      Why does this site remind me of chicken little? :D

Comment

Re: Only for the sake of correctness do I even bother.

Originally posted by Fait_Maker
                        <sigh> BUT if an American gallon is 3.8 litres and we are comparing American prices to England, why would we use the British gallon? An American gallon is 3.8 litres. Using Jex's price for a litre, it would be 3.104 pounds for an American gallon or $5.72. My math is correct and almost saves me a $1 at the pumps. :icon16:
                        I'm sure were talking about the same thing......our alpha brain waves are just on different frequencies :icon_cool

Comment

Yes, but anyone that expected gas prices to remain under 1.50 per gallon in the US has been hiding under a rock IMHO.

China is becoming industrialized along with many other third world countries. Demand is increasing, there is only a finite supply of oil reserves in the world, prices are going to consistently increase.

Now if consumers would demand fuel efficient vehicles, then the automotive companies will begin researching 50 - 100 mpg vehicles and alternative fuel sources. However, the SUV and truck sales tell the automotive industry that the consumers care little of oil, foreign dependence, and energy conservation.

Comment

If the all the UN countries involved spent some of what they spent on the Middle East wars on ridding ourselves from our dependancy on oil, in ten years no one would care about gas prices.

If they spent even half the estimated $600b US dollars the war will eventually cost further developing the clean renewable sources of energy we already have, creating better technology for utilizing hydrogen as an energy storage media, and a creating nationwide network of distribution then in a couple years no one would give a crap about the middle east or oil and the environment would be a lot better off because of it.
                            Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter.
                            Ernest Hemingway, "On the Blue Water," Esquire, April 1936

Comment

Originally posted by CaveDog
                              Yeah, and the tabacco companies will point out that there hasn't been a proven link between smoking and lung cancer. It also hasn't been proven that we went to the moon in the 60's either.

I don't nessisarly disagree that we can't really know the entire climate cycle of the earth, seeing how we've only been here a little while and have been keeping records an even shorter time. But there has been a huge increase in greenhouse gasses, and mainly that increase can be correlated to the use of fossil fuels. That doesn't mean that we are going to hell in a handbasket and that the Bush admin is driving us there in his highly politicised butane(oops, propane) pickup, but I think there is some cause of concern. At least some research.

Isn't that a great reason to bother about them? We need alternate fuel. And soon. And not just because of "global warming". Yes, they say that the world has a lot of fuel left, but they don't tell you how much of an increase in extraction costs there will be to get at it, if it exists at all. Its been said that we have already gotten to the cheap oil, and when that runs out, it will be very costly.
                              no ill drive my car, and ill pay the fuel and i dont give a rats ass about 4 generations down the line having bad whether, guess what ill be dead ad buried.

so whatever.....

and btw, falling over and grazing your knee can cause cancer,

doing nothing can cause cancer

eating too much friut can cause cancer..

jesus you know what, there is too much bull**** to worry about... so why bother just chill out ontop of a 3.5 v6 and rev the bugger

www.TeamElement.com

Comment

oh and we already have hydrogen powered busses in london... at least the capital will continue to work....

www.TeamElement.com

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                                X