Jon Stewart fans

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jon Stewart fans

Bill Moyers' Journal has an interview with him and it is pretty good.
    Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
    - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
    - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
    - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
    - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
    - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
    - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Re: Jon Stewart fans

That was a really good interview. Thanks for posting.

[drill][medic][conduct][tg-c1][tpf-c1]
    [ma-c2][taw-c1]

Principles of good Sandbox Etiquette:
    Assume good faith - Be polite, please! - Work toward agreement. - Argue facts, not personalities. - Concede a point when you have no response to it, or admit when you disagree based on intuition or taste. - Be civil. - Be prepared to apologize. In animated discussions, we often say things we later wish we hadn't. Say so. - Forgive and forget. - Recognize your own biases and keep them in check. - Give praise when due.

Treat others as you would have them treat you

Comment

Yeah thanks for posting - I would've missed this interview if you didn't give us a heads up. This was an incredible interview. Hopefully they'll post the full version online in a week or so.
      Beatnik

Comment

It already is available, in full form, on the website linked to. The link just isn't available on the page provided.

Try this page instead: http://www.pbs.org/moyers/journal/04272007/watch.html

If that doesn't work, just go to Gringo's page and click "Watch and Listen"

[drill][medic][conduct][tg-c1][tpf-c1]
        [ma-c2][taw-c1]

Principles of good Sandbox Etiquette:
        Assume good faith - Be polite, please! - Work toward agreement. - Argue facts, not personalities. - Concede a point when you have no response to it, or admit when you disagree based on intuition or taste. - Be civil. - Be prepared to apologize. In animated discussions, we often say things we later wish we hadn't. Say so. - Forgive and forget. - Recognize your own biases and keep them in check. - Give praise when due.

Treat others as you would have them treat you

Comment

Great interview and thanks for the link!

Comment

I love the Daily Show, but this interview made me lose some respect for John. He just doesn't seem to "get it" with regards the issues discussed; George Bush doesn't feel that the four year election is what he is judged by, he feels that he will be judged by histroy. Alberto Gonzalez does have loyalty to the President because that's his job and that's why he was chosen for the job. Stewart makes it seem that Gonzalez was taken advantage of by Bush, but in fact he was just doing what he's supposed to do: shield the administration from inquiry.

Stewart always makes great points, and does it with good humor. But I don't think that he's the sharpest political observer. And he somehow manages to mix cynicism with naivete to come up with trash. His interview with McCain was pitiful - he stuck with his own bull talking points just as any other talking head would.
            A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

"$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

Comment

Originally posted by xTYBALTx View Post
              Stewart makes it seem that Gonzalez was taken advantage of by Bush, but in fact he was just doing what he's supposed to do: shield the administration from inquiry.
              That's a pretty perverted take on the attorney general's job. I thought he was supposed to prosecute the laws of the United States, not help the President break them.
              In game handle: Steel Scion
              sigpic

Comment

The President has not been accused of breaking any laws during the attorney firing scandal, has he?
                A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

Comment

How could we find out if he had, since he's being "shielded from inquiry" by the very same guy who would be in charge of investigating? "Losing" 5 million emails that, by law, are required to be archived, is certainly a crime.
                  sigpic

Comment

The purpose of people appointed by the President is to "get with the program." The Bush administration is not unique in this respect.

Comment

"get with the program."

I think I remember hearing that in Boyz n the Hood.

Comment

Yeah I'd say the apparent intentional circumvention of the Presidential Records Act would be a pretty clear case of breaking the law.

And I'd definitely disagree with your characterization of Jon Stewart as naive or cynical. He's probably the single most insightful person with anything substantial to say that I have access to. And "talking points" generally refers to partisan, well, talking points that are distributed to various talking heads for the purpose of banging the drum and keeping on message. I don't see any evidence of Jon Stewart sticking to partisan talking points. Those "talking points" you refer to, as far as I can tell, are actually his opinions, not someone else's recommendations to stay on message.
                        Beatnik

Comment

Great moments in television:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFQFB5YpDZE[/media]
                          sigpic

Comment

Heh, always get a laugh out of that interview.
                            Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
                            Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Comment

The purpose of people appointed by the President is to "get with the program." The Bush administration is not unique in this respect.
                              I thought the purpose of anyone in the government was to do their job and support the people of the United States, not cover for their buddies or themselves.
                              [squadl]
                              "I am the prettiest african-american, vietnamese..cong..person." -SugarNCamo

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X