Smokers.... NC Ban on outdoor smoking

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smokers.... NC Ban on outdoor smoking

Out of curiousity, today I was reading the courant and I stumbled across an elaborate section about how North Carolina is banning outdoor smoking. Before I go any further, I'm a man from Connecticut and if there's anyone out there who lives here they understand the heavy taxes we have on cigarettes (plus everything else). Now the question is, on the economical and our rights, does anyone agree to this?

NC produces one of the most amounts of tobacco each year, which over the last years has fallen drastically, but recently has improved. Even with the heavy taxes, the dislike of smoking, and the state governments push on antismoking; tobacco is still a huge industry. Now that the federal government is stepping in, they are allowing states to take more control over smoking. A major ban or tax will never be passed via the federal government since they understand the value, but if the states take more control, the estimate average for New England can rise to 8.00$ easy. But on the other hand, why should smokers pay high taxes, lose the luxury, and then suffer someone else opinion over whats right and wrong. Fast food is just as bad and anyone can buy it or soda and candy.

Furthermore, the states use lotto taxes to improves schools, and to lower the annual gas manifest. (For those who work at gas stations). In most of the states, the money never reaches schools and such. A raise on tobacco would go into that funding. There is a benefit to highering the taxes, school and hospitals all benefit.

Me, I smoke, I truly don't like too, but I still enjoy it. Now I work at Mobil, I don't make a lot of money, and cigarettes are beginning to become a real killer. I also find it to be an invasion of our rights.

Hadouken!!! (>*.*)> ==> ==> ==> ^(X.X)^

Re: Smokers.... NC Ban on outdoor smoking

Outdoor is a fairly loose definition, does the law refer to outdoor patios or outside of public buildings? Also, what rights are being interfered with, smokers have never had rights as far as I know because smoking is, as you say, a luxury. In some cases I disagree with the degree of the bans, in Ontario we have a number of limitations on where people can smoke, but I tell you I feel much better not going to a bar and having to swim through a fog of cigarette smoke and then sit in it for hours.

Comment

I don't know if Texas has passed it yet (?) Supposedly in parts of Dallas, you cannot smoke with 15 feet of a business. Also our taxes increased 1.00$ on Jan 1st this year, plus the regular taxes added. So our cigarettes are well over 4$ average now, some places charge 5$ a pack, which is crazy. I still buy mine at Wal-greens, they are the only place I know of that doesn't milk it and inflate the price more.

Comment

Have you all seen the South Park episode with Rob Reiner on his crusade to ban smoking? They portrayed him so well. Haha. That's what all these anti-smoking laws remind me of. I'm not a smoker. Infact I can't stand it. But I don't have a problem with other people doing it as long as it's not in my home or in my car.
        "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

Originally posted by War.mongeR1 View Post
          Have you all seen the South Park episode with Rob Reiner on his crusade to ban smoking? They portrayed him so well. Haha. That's what all these anti-smoking laws remind me of. I'm not a smoker. Infact I can't stand it. But I don't have a problem with other people doing it as long as it's not in my home or in my car.
          I don't smoke either as I quit about 5 years ago, and it personally doesn't bother me to be around it, so I don't consider myself a smoking Nazi, but last year I saw a good friend die from emphasema after suffering from it for 5 years... believe me, you do not want to die from this or any other smoking disease (try breathing from a straw for as long as you can and that is what its like to have chronic emphasema). After that happened I've felt compelled to politely remind my family or friends that smoke what could happen. So yeah I fully support these laws, in Ontario I think a pack of smokes is upwards of 8 dollars, when I smoked it was just over 3 dollars.

Comment

The difference between smoking and eating fast food is second-hand smoke, which affects all in your vicinity, not just the lifestyle of your family.
            The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. ~
            I have a tendency to key out three or four things and then let them battle for supremacy while I key, so there's a lot of backspacing as potential statements are slaughtered and eaten by the victors. ~
            Feel free to quote me. ~

Comment

You think my health insurance isn't sky rocketing because some cow eats mc donalds 5 days a week? Oh, it effects us all.

Seriously though -- I dislike smoking, and ever since its gone taboo, i've been able to tolerate it even less than I used to. That said, I think a ban on 'outside' is unfair, or at least ill defined as posted here. There's got to be more to it than that.

affects/effects? the world may never know.
              |TG|Switch

Better known as:
              That noob who crashed the chopper.
              That noob who ran over the mine.
              That noob who TK'd me with a sniper rifle.
              That noob who hit that APC at 300m with light AT! Our APC...

Comment

I think this is referring to some pending legislation, HB 259: http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/Sessions...ML/H259v3.html

The proposed law would ban smoking in "any enclosed or other area that is accessible to or shared by all persons."

If this passes then things sure have changed.

Comment

So, no smokes in Gazebos? Bummer.
                  In game handle: Steel Scion
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Comrade Franko View Post
                    I don't smoke either as I quit about 5 years ago, and it personally doesn't bother me to be around it, so I don't consider myself a smoking Nazi, but last year I saw a good friend die from emphasema after suffering from it for 5 years... believe me, you do not want to die from this or any other smoking disease...
                    Trust me, I don't want to die of any cause.

Let's see: of my grandparents, I've had one die of Alzheimer's and one die of Lou Gherig's. I can't imagine a worse way to go than Alzheimer's. Lou Gherig's is also quite horrific - imagine being slowly paralyzed bit by bit over the course of a year (if it goes fast) or over several (if it's slower). Not fun.

Smoking does, incidentally, increase the incidence of one of the 'better' ways to go - heart disease and heart attack.
                    A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

"$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

Comment

I guess they should ban even breathing outside. All the nasty stuff in the air these days will put a toll on your lungs to.

Comment

Originally posted by UnDeaD77 View Post
                        I guess they should ban even breathing outside. All the nasty stuff in the air these days will put a toll on your lungs to.
                        Hahaha, oddly that's sort of true. I agree, I wouldn't want to sit in a bar full of smoke, a patio sure, I know some places it's still legal to sit on a patio at a restaurant and smoke. I've heard all of the horrible things it can do to you, not to be mean, completely serious, but I'm pretty sure now everything gives you cancer (even cancer!). And I'll also be honest, it won't bother me until it actually happens (sad fact). But I find it a mean assault when someone who drives a vehicle bash me.... Opps sorry though, since some guy said "drive good, smoke bad." Therefore the all mighty told me what's good and bad for me. I'm not going to disagree and argue with someone who chooses not to smoke and doesn't like it. But for everybody, people who smoke and don't, it's just like saying you can't kiss somebody outdoors.

---- yea kissing isn't bad for you, but it isn't others people business to force you whats good or bad.

Hadouken!!! (>*.*)> ==> ==> ==> ^(X.X)^

Comment

People always say that fast food is just as bad. Well, being around people that eat fast food will not make you fat or give you a heart attack.

Being around smokers can cause health problems.
                          When you can't run, you walk. When you can't walk, you crawl and when you can't do that, you get someone to carry you.

Comment

I quite smoking 3 years ago after smoking for 15 years, because it is a disgusting habit that gave me chronic sinus infections..

There are a lot of benefits to nicotine. Just to be fair.

http://www.forces.org/evidence/evid/therap.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Azura View Post
                              NC produces one of the most amounts of tobacco each year, which over the last years has fallen drastically, but recently has improved. Even with the heavy taxes, the dislike of smoking, and the state governments push on antismoking; tobacco is still a huge industry.
                              I smoke again.. after stopping for 7 years - I'll quit again, I can't stand it. They can ban it, restrict it, tax it all they want.. it's OK with me. The tobacco business isn't going to go away though - it sells to well, and unrestricted in other countries.
                              sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X