French political situation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• French political situation

Has anyone been following the election of Nicolas Sarkozy closely? You can tell by the CBC story the Canadian media's take on the situation...

"In a victory speech in Paris Sunday, the president-elect came to the Place de la Concorde, the scene of beheadings and revolutions of the past, to set his own revolutionary course."

My initial reaction is hesitant not only of how he will be recieved by the public (potential riots and anarchy), but I am also hesitant from I see shaping into his political ideology. I know he's an immigrant son, but maybe past experience in Europe has made me leery of people who lean toward the far cultural / nationalist side. Thoughts?

http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2007/0...ce-change.html

Re: French political situation

It was an interesting election on a couple of different layers, but, the effects are the real issue. There's now a lot riding on the upcoming parlimentary elections. Looks like unemployment is on the top of the list, so we'll see if this change can deliver on that.

Comment

It's interesting that elections in the rest of the world seem to be heading to the right, while here in the United States, they seem to be spiraling to the left.

Comment

Originally posted by IceCold View Post
        It's interesting that elections in the rest of the world seem to be heading to the right, while here in the United States, they seem to be spiraling to the left.

That's precisely the trend . Sarkozy big no , no , is that 1 ) he's not a graduate of the the ENA (elite school for civil servants ) 2 ) his threat to Social programs includes the abolition of tax on overtime, big cuts in inheritance tax, a law guaranteeing minimum service in transport strikes, and rules to oblige the unemployed to take up offered work.

Ah, just as communism was returning to the old world someone has to come and muck it up .
        I want all those who get to know me
        To become admirers or my enemies

Comment

It's funny how in France, when the left is in charge, the right just deals with it and keeps on going. However, when a more conservative power gets in, the left starts rioting, burning cars, and throws a big huge temper tantrum. What a bunch of lame-o's. I mean come on! Who the heck is against making overtime tax-free? He's trying to make the French a productive society, instead of being the lazy 35-hour max workers they are today. Good for him! Maybe he will be the one to change some of our negative stereotypes of the French.
          "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

I can't even imagine only working 35 hours a week... I usually work almost double that!
            Become a supporting member!
            Buy a Tactical Duck!
            Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
            TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

I see a lot of people comparing the French loser with Clinton. It's far too simplistic to compare the two the way that it has been discussed. The biggest reason IMO for the change is that people don't like having their cars and property burned constantly by rioters. It wasn't a desire to be partners with the US, but a desire for peace, order and economic growth.

Lucky Shot

Comment

I'd like to hear from some of our French TG members. After all, we American gamers get all huffy if one of our Canadian or Australian brethren start talking about OUR government.

I should also point out that concepts of right and left do not translate very accurately across national borders. There is no global trend toward either side. All politics are local, and carry with them their own unique semantics.
                In game handle: Steel Scion
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Steeler View Post
                  I should also point out that concepts of right and left do not translate very accurately across national borders. There is no global trend toward either side. All politics are local, and carry with them their own unique semantics.
                  This was my thought exactly, especially with regards to all the comments about the world shifting to the right, or all of Europe shifting toward Communism (this coming from the guy with Comrade in his name... I really gotta get that changed ;) ). Look at places like the Russia as an example. Some people might say that Russia is going Communist again, when I think what's really happening there is actually worse, and that is using Democracy to erode the voice of the people by consolidating power in an elite few and making a buracratic authoratarian state. World Governments aren't going Commie, they're going Kaput as outdated, outmoded mechanisms that are easily consolidated by people like Putin and kin. Remember this though, Putin was the first to proclaim how he was George W. Bush's buddy and he was America's friend both well before and after 9/11. I'd just think twice when a foreign leader that comes from a country somewhat reticent of the U.S. starts saying how much of a friend he really is.

Comment

I know that Slate is an editorial website, but this is a great article none the less. I believe it has some good insight into the French political situation.

http://www.slate.com/id/2165750/

Comment

Perhaps it's an American trait boasting about the number of hours worked within a week. I've never worked under French labour laws so I'm not sure of the sentiment in France.

Alot of workers in the US, it seems more white than blue, pat themselves on the back for working sixty, seventy hours a week.

Wow, great! Ok, but how productive were you in those hours?

The issue is not how many hours one works but how productive you are in a work hour. Economists measure productivity by the work hour not how many hours you have acculmated.

Increasing the number of hours worked does not make you a more efficient worker.
                      |TG-9th| TheFatKidDeath
                      "Born to Party, Forced to Work."
                      - Check me out on The Onion
                      - I'm on the local news!

Comment

Case in point: How many people are at work right now?

*raises hand*
                        In game handle: Steel Scion
                        sigpic

Comment

I'm coping TPS reports as we speak!
                          |TG-9th| TheFatKidDeath
                          "Born to Party, Forced to Work."
                          - Check me out on The Onion
                          - I'm on the local news!

Comment

Well, lets see. I work about 21 hours a week, but I can usually get my job done in about 15 of those, so I spend the last 6 killing time and browsing forums. But when a big project comes up occasionally I actually do max out my time working on it, and net browsing gets put on hold till another day.

Basically, I don't check TG at work because I like wasting my bosses time. I do it because my boss needs to give me more work, and until she does I'm not going to spend all my time just staring at the wall. :p

In addition, I feel more productive when I can work on something for 30 minutes, take a 5 minute break, then work 30 minutes more rather than working straight through. So if my hours got cut to just 15, I'd probably get a bit less done overall--plus the occasional "big projects" would be much harder to squeeze into the schedule. I like to have a little time around the edges, just not this much.

So...there ya go. One anecdotal case study. Hope it helps.

Comment

When I was active duty Air Force and on the road (which was all the time being aircrew), we'd often work 26 hour days with 12 hours off, 8 of which were for sleeping. I'd sometimes do that shedule for close to a month straight. Does that count for working more than 35 hours a week? Hell, the first day of Iraqi Freedom (and yes I was in Iraq for that), I busted out a 36 hour workday of non-stop work, which was done with a waiver from MAJCOM. And that doesn't even compare to our soldiers who run around the field for ever and ever. So yes, I laugh when I hear of a 35 hour work week.

I'm working a civilian job right now where I TYPICALLY (not always) leave the house around 6 in the morning, commute about 100 miles to work, and then come back Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday for night school which goes from 6-10:15 PM. Get home around 10:45. Only 1 more week left of college until I'm done for good. That's why ya'll never see me on Counter-Strike too much anymore. Yeah, 35 hour work weeks would be a piece of cake.

But I digress...
                              I do believe this new French leader will hopefully inject some new optimism into the French and their well-being. I may mock them often, but I really do hope the best for them.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X