Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIAA "extortion": why the only RICO they fear is Suave

Another good article worth a read!
    Since launching its legal campaign against those it suspects of file-sharing, the RIAA has been called any number of nasty things. Some commentators have gone so far as to call its onslaught of lawsuits an exercise in extortion. Others have likened the RIAA to a criminal organization and raised the issue of the Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations (RICO) Act and whether it would apply to the RIAA. We've received a few e-mails from our readers wondering about RICO and the RIAA, so we decided to dig into the topic ourselves.

Read the full article here.
    Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Re: RIAA "extortion": why the only RICO they fear is Suave

Unfortunately--although in most cases it's fortunate--common knowledge cannot be used as evidence. Everyone knows it's malicious prosecution; there's just no way to prove intent.
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. ~
    I have a tendency to key out three or four things and then let them battle for supremacy while I key, so there's a lot of backspacing as potential statements are slaughtered and eaten by the victors. ~
    Feel free to quote me. ~

Comment

Sure there is. They go after the people that cant defend themselves. Theres some very convincing documentation released to the public through an ongoing class-action lawsuit entailing such things as the fact that the majority of the people prosecuted were under the age of 25 and rated in income of less than $24000 per year.

Interesting that they'd choose to sue people that have little money and are of the age to have very little legal experience. Makes for a steamroller case when the defendant cant afford a decent attorney. You think that people with buku bucks in the bank dont have "illegal mp3's"? Yeah right. The RIAA just wont sue them because the high priced lawyers would chew them up and spit them out. However, this case has gained some high profile attention in the legal community as I understand it and is gaining serious momentum. If it succeeds, I very seriously doubt the RIAA will be able to sue anyone for this crap anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Ferris Bueller View Post
        They go after the people that cant defend themselves.
        You can't say that in court. Well, I guess you can, but it won't get you anywhere. Legally, everyone can defend themselves, as the publicly provided lawyers are considered adequate. Also, I'm fairly sure that their pursuit of a demographic they've described as the "most likely to pirate" won't be a problem for them in the right court.
        The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. ~
        I have a tendency to key out three or four things and then let them battle for supremacy while I key, so there's a lot of backspacing as potential statements are slaughtered and eaten by the victors. ~
        Feel free to quote me. ~

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
        X