Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• General Attitude

I recently came across this image on the interwebs:

Now, maybe this is just me, but doesn't that strike you as a little inappropriate? I was sort of appalled that this stuff is out there and as common as it is. I mean, I don't know about you, but I'm depressed enough that one of my closest friends killed herself--I don't enjoy people mocking the idea. It takes all of my will power to avoid taking it personally. Death is a serious topic and it affects more people than you might think, so be careful what you say.
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. ~
    I have a tendency to key out three or four things and then let them battle for supremacy while I key, so there's a lot of backspacing as potential statements are slaughtered and eaten by the victors. ~
    Feel free to quote me. ~

Re: General Attitude

Child kidnapping and molestation is a horrible act that happens daily. But this (NSFW: language) is still funny.

I've had two friends die in car wrecks, but this is still funny (if not an old one):
    "When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not kicking and screaming like the passengers in his car."

Say, do, or draw anything and somewhere and at sometime: someone will be offended by it. I personally don't care about taste, as long as what's being said is funny. And the picture you posted qualifies as funny. I find George Carlin (his old stuff anyways) hilarious, and it could all be summed up as "inappropriate." People need to get over their conceptions about life and just laugh when something is funny.

Death doesn't affect "most" people: it affects everyone at some point in their life. In fact, you will deal with death numerous times in your life until you end up the same way. Death is a morbid and scary prospect. Because of that, I think it's important that people realize how powerful humor can be.

If no one cracked a joke at my funeral, I would consider the whole deal a bust. I've made it very clear to my friends that at least someone has to crack a completely tasteless joke.

Comment

Personaly I think:

Is a funnier take on the picture but other then that trust me when I say that you don't have enough time to get offended by all the stuff on the internet.

Comment

http://despair.com/indem.html

TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran

Comment

It's called dark or black humor and I think it has its place. Tact is a required trait to employ this type of humor effectively.
          Become a supporting member!
          Buy a Tactical Duck!
          Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
          TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

I think there is a general attitude shift somehow involving the internet where the self-righteous or sensitive are pushed aside. I'm not too worried about it.

Comment

I was sort of appalled that this stuff is out there and as common as it is
              Welcome the Internet. You could find just about anything if you look hard enough, and the general populace is routinely offended from things on it. FWIW, it got a laugh out of me.

Say, do, or draw anything and somewhere and at sometime: someone will be offended by it. I personally don't care about taste, as long as what's being said is funny. And the picture you posted qualifies as funny. I find George Carlin (his old stuff anyways) hilarious, and it could all be summed up as "inappropriate." People need to get over their conceptions about life and just laugh when something is funny.
              I'd take having to live with being offended once and a while then having everything censored. That's just the price of living in a free society.
              Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
              Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Comment

If you want to learn more about suicide as a philosophical concept, try reading some Albert Camus.

You could start with The Myth of Sysyphus.

That's one of those essays you'll see referenced often once you're familiar with it. Everything from physics textbooks to religious works make mention of it at some point, though I doubt it's required reading in high school english class.

Comment

Originally posted by ednos View Post
                  I recently came across this image on the interwebs:

Now, maybe this is just me, but doesn't that strike you as a little inappropriate? I was sort of appalled that this stuff is out there and as common as it is. I mean, I don't know about you, but I'm depressed enough that one of my closest friends killed herself--I don't enjoy people mocking the idea. It takes all of my will power to avoid taking it personally. Death is a serious topic and it affects more people than you might think, so be careful what you say.
                  The humor is both that it mocks inspirational photos, but also that it is so absurd it becomes funny. It also is not aimed directly at anyone, which makes it more acceptable.

But really, anything can be funny in the right context.

Now if I could just find that "safety poster" for down the river, not across the street...
                  |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

Yeah, I don't want censorship or anything like Canada wants; this appears to be a personal problem. Does anyone have any suggestions for getting an image out of my mind that is drawn up every time someone mentions suicide?
                    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. ~
                    I have a tendency to key out three or four things and then let them battle for supremacy while I key, so there's a lot of backspacing as potential statements are slaughtered and eaten by the victors. ~
                    Feel free to quote me. ~

Comment

Primarily, time.

Secondly, focus on the person when they were alive, not on how they ended their life. They were more than one event, so why let that event overshadow everything else?

Comment

Yeah, I don't want censorship or anything like Canada wants; this appears to be a personal problem. Does anyone have any suggestions for getting an image out of my mind that is drawn up every time someone mentions suicide?
                        As to the first part of your post... What has Canada got to do with this? As to the second part of your post... it will take time my friend. Its been 2 years since a close buddy of mine died, and it took quite a while for my friends and I to deal with this, but the best way to do it was just what you are apparently doing, talking about it both online and in person with your friends, ask a lot of questions, be angry, be happy, and be sad when you think of your friend. In time you may find a quiet acceptance and appreciation for the life your friend had, but there will always be that spot that misses him tremendously.

Comment

Originally posted by Comrade Franko View Post
                          What has Canada got to do with this?
                          Poke around the Sandbox threads; there's one about a potential law in Canada to allow amazing amounts of censorship.

Originally posted by Comrade Franko View Post
                          As to the second part of your post... it will take time my friend.
                          That's what I thought, too. It's been over a year now. Usually by now I've forgotten everything, but that week I remember like it was today.
                          Feel free to quote me. ~

Comment

Poke around the Sandbox threads; there's one about a potential law in Canada to allow amazing amounts of censorship.
                            Heheheh... this "potential law" has about as much potential as Borat marrying Pamela. Just because someone uttered something irrational doesn't mean that anyone agrees with them.
                            Peace through fear... since 1947!

Comment

As for dealing with the loss of a friend, that's something that will affect you to varying degrees for the rest of your life. Try to use the experience to motivate you in positive ways. You won't forget about them.
                              Peace through fear... since 1947!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X