Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soldier Mom and AWOL

Anyone else been following this story?

http://cnn.netscape.cnn.com/news/story.jsp?floc=FF-APO-1110&idq=/ff/story/0001%2F20031111%2F133748781.htm&sc=1110

However, Holcomb's commander called her earlier Monday from Iraq to tell her he was pursuing an administrative punishment against her, said Holcomb's lawyer, Giorgio Ra'Shadd. It was not clear what the punishment would be.

"They didn't give a reason. A commander in the field doesn't really have to give a reason,'' Ra'Shadd told Fox News
    I don't know, maybe the reason was because she didn't do what she was ordered to do, neglected the fellow members of her unit?

I might be reading more into all this, but it seems that the media is making the military the bad guys in all of this. THe mother has certain responsibilities and must face the consequences of her actions.

Now, don't get me wrong, I think the mom should put her children first. But if she can not serve with her unit when they are called for active duty, then it is her responsibility to leave the army. Why? Because she has responsibilites both to her children and the army. Since she has stated that her children will always be first, she can't live up to the obligations she has in the military.

War is a bad thing to do partly.
    [volun]

Comment

"Holcomb, 30, and her husband, Sgt. 1st Class Vaughn Holcomb, 40, were living with their children at Fort Carson near Colorado Springs when both were sent to Iraq in February.

Family members were taking care of their seven children, but the couple returned on emergency leave in September when Vaughn Holcomb's ex-wife went to court seeking full custody of two of the children from their previous marriage.

Simone Holcomb told a judge she would stay home with the children and refused an Army order to return to Iraq. "

She has been serving since February, with her husband over in Iraq. The issue is not that she is simply wanting to be with her kids and neglect her duty to the army. The issue at hand is the custody of the children.

Comment

Originally posted by =luna=
        She has been serving since February, with her husband over in Iraq. The issue is not that she is simply wanting to be with her kids and neglect her duty to the army. The issue at hand is the custody of the children.
        Still it is the same thing. She had an obligation to the army yet she chose not to honor that obligation. She had choices when told that she had to remain in the States to retain custody of her children but what did she choose? She chose to not report to duty. If reporting to duty conflicts with her children, why didn't she choose to quit the army?

The military has already bent over backwards by transfering her to a non-called up unit and backdating it so that she wasn't considered AWOL. However, she still should face punishment for her choice of not reporting to duty.

She made a choice, she has to face the consequences.

Comment

The problem is that this woman should not be in the military apart from doctors an such. Her husband should have told her to do the job only she can do best !! thats be a mother to your children. And he will go and fight. But in this day and age of women can do what men can is not serving women at all. That family has taken on too many responsibilities. I hope thing s work out for her but the husband has made so bad decisions.

Comment

I have the best solutions.

Put the kids in the army! Think about it, they can help mommy hold her ammo and grenades, and she is spending time with them, all those nights getting shot at really makes people bond with one another.

Comment

Just one more reason women don't need to be forward deployed to Theaters of operation...

GD PC idiots....

edited by CingularDuality: That was a bit much, Sean...

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfie
                She had choices when told that she had to remain in the States to retain custody of her children but what did she choose? She chose to not report to duty.
                Of course she did! I mean, REALLY now. I don't think *anyone*, no matter what their job may be, would be expected/required to forfeit their children to do their job. In any other position, she would have a lawsuit all over her employer for descrimination.

Now, should she AND her husband be in the military? I think that deserves a resounding "NO". But, we don't know the entire surrounding scenario, either. I would wager there is more to this story than meets the eye.

Comment

Originally posted by =luna=
                  She had choices when told that she had to remain in the States to retain custody of her children but what did she choose? She chose to not report to duty.
                  Of course she did! I mean, REALLY now. I don't think *anyone*, no matter what their job may be, would be expected/required to forfeit their children to do their job. In any other position, she would have a lawsuit all over her employer for descrimination.

Now, should she AND her husband be in the military? I think that deserves a resounding "NO". But, we don't know the entire surrounding scenario, either. I would wager there is more to this story than meets the eye.
                  True that...always is.

Government sources = 15% of the truth

General Media = 30% of the truth

Best friend = 50% of the truth

Spouse = Prolly around 70% if the marriage is good

Bottom line: We're NEVER told the whole story.

Comment

If reporting to duty conflicts with her children, why didn't she choose to quit the army?
                    Heh... I haven't read the story, but I know that "quitting" isn't an option for mothers in the Navy or Marines. It was an option for new mothers until 1995, but it just became an easy way for some women to get out of their contract after receiving tens of thousands of dollars worth of training.

This is a tough break for this woman. I don't have a problem with women in the military, even mothers. I've seen some single Marine mothers that were kickass parents even though they had some rough times when it came to training deployments and other operations. I certainly can't blame this lady for her decision. If I were in the same situation, I'd do the same thing. I think that the ex-wife is the one that should be vilified here. The honorable thing would be to postpone the custody hearing until after they rotate back to the US.
                    Become a supporting member!
                    Buy a Tactical Duck!
                    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                    TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

May Our heavenly Father truly bless our men and women in the U.S military... Later is that ok to say ender ????? :)

Comment

Hi Psi how are you is that considered baiting someone ????? Looking for you in RvS

Comment

Originally posted by Brooklyn
                          The problem is that this woman should not be in the military apart from doctors an such. Her husband should have told her to do the job only she can do best !! thats be a mother to your children. And he will go and fight. But in this day and age of women can do what men can is not serving women at all. That family has taken on too many responsibilities. I hope thing s work out for her but the husband has made so bad decisions.
                          My sister is career military. Shes got 17 years in the Navy, shes a helicopter pilot and a damn good one. She also happens to be a single mother of a 16 year old daughter. When she is deployed my niece is flown back to Wisconsin to live with my parents for the duration of her deployment. This has worked well for all 16 years of her life with no conflicts.

I agree with Luna that No, both parents should not be in the military if they have young children but why should the man be the one to stay in. My sister has worked hard as hell to get where she is, shes earned every rank she has and shes outworked, outfought and outflown 3/4 of the men in her unit. To say that women shouldnt be allowed in the military is just wrong. She can and DOES do the job equally and ABOVE most men that she serves with AND shes an outstanding mother to my niece. I can honestly say that most military men cant wear both of those faces. Most military men could never also be single parents and have a SUCCESSFUL military career like my sister has.
                          "The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." - Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. sigpic

Comment

Let me make sure everyone understands where my position is on this subject....

I am not against women in the military or women having to take care of their children.

However, I believe that everyone should be held responsible for their actions. The mom failed to report to duty as ordered and was considered AWOL. However, the army has been helpful and decided to avoid the AWOL charges, they would transfer her to another unit and issue a different form of punishment (decrease in pay grade, etc). However, from the article I posted, it sounded like the mom (and/or lawyer) thought it was unfair that the mom was getting punished at all, even though what she did was illlegal according to the contract she signed with the military.

Comment

Typical media rubbish, what is al this about?

"Family members were taking care of their seven children, but the couple returned on emergency leave in September when Vaughn Holcomb's ex-wife went to court seeking full custody of two of the children from their previous marriage.

Simone Holcomb told a judge she would stay home with the children and refused an Army order to return to Iraq. "

Now does this mean she refused to go back to Iraq before she was allowed to stay home or after? The report is so lacking in facts, and what little there is has been blended together to give a story. I don't see the military being reported in bad light here, just the media in a story with practically no facts to it.

It's been deliberately left open for people to make up their own minds on the story, not the facts of the actual case.

I'd wait to get a more detailed report before judging anything on this one.
                              Jex.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X