We got owned by Hollywood

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We got owned by Hollywood

For some reason I really like when an industry can treat whole countries like bad little boys and pull their privileges...

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNew...ub=CTVNewsAt11
    Peace through fear... since 1947!

Re: We got owned by Hollywood

I don't feel like Canada is the leading source of pirated movies. Seems a bit misdirected.

Lucky Shot

Comment

I don't think Hollywood should have its head so far up its ass. Seems a bit misdirected.
      The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. ~
      I have a tendency to key out three or four things and then let them battle for supremacy while I key, so there's a lot of backspacing as potential statements are slaughtered and eaten by the victors. ~
      Feel free to quote me. ~

Comment

Damn Canadians...I'll show you...I'm taking my ball and going home ...Harumph...

no J/K

but seriously....did anyone else wince at the word (?) "camcorded"...I mean really...can that actually be a word ?
        sigpic
        |TG-1st|Grunt
        ARMA Admin (retired)
        Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Hollywood's so retarded. Canada's piracy pales in comparison to Thailand or even anywhere in Asia or the Middle East. Some of the middle eastern countries have all the bootlegged movies in the world, because their governments ban so much "inappropriate" material.
          "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

Originally posted by War.mongeR1 View Post
            Hollywood's so retarded. Canada's piracy pales in comparison to Thailand or even anywhere in Asia or the Middle East. Some of the middle eastern countries have all the bootlegged movies in the world, because their governments ban so much "inappropriate" material.
            They're not talking about overall piracy of DVDs and other "released" media. Their concern is the immediate release of private pre-screenings of movies that have not yet been released. They don't want the movies out on BitTorrent before it's even opened in the theaters.
            Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

Originally posted by Apophis View Post
              They're not talking about overall piracy of DVDs and other "released" media. Their concern is the immediate release of private pre-screenings of movies that have not yet been released. They don't want the movies out on BitTorrent before it's even opened in the theaters.
              then they need to look at who is selling the film's fottage to the chinese market, thats where its alledged that most pirates are comming from. personally i dont buy pirate because they are never as good a quality, but i have seen films for sale in the markets here (spiderman 3) being one of them before the US release in theaters... that means someone is making a profit out of their sale.

in any case, this is probably going to be counter productive, if you alienate an entire nation, as im sure Canada will feel alienated, it will only boost the priate market, because suddenly average joe is buying pirate because he does not want hollywood to get any of the money.

just my observations anyway,

www.TeamElement.com

Comment

It seems they are trying to address the initial source of the leaked preview footage. Another thing to consider is that this article only highlights what they are doing in Canada. This doesn't necessarily mean they aren't addressing the piracy issues in other countries or channels.
                Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

Originally posted by Apophis View Post
                  It seems they are trying to address the initial source of the leaked preview footage. Another thing to consider is that this article only highlights what they are doing in Canada. This doesn't necessarily mean they aren't addressing the piracy issues in other countries or channels.
                  thats true i suppose, it does not say it isnt investigating elsewhere...

www.TeamElement.com

Comment

They're just picking on Canada, because Canada's easy to pick on. The people in Hollyweird are just jerks like that.
                    "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

I think there are a whole bunch of people missing the point here. This is all about controlling pre-release piracy. Once it hits the general public, it is a whole different animal to control.

They KNOW that previews are being filmed in Canada and that these sources are being used and sold all around the world. They may even know exactly where this is happening and who is doing it, but they are powerless to prevent it because the Canadian laws don't help them. So they are left with either getting the laws changed, which they tried, or cutting off the previews.

They could probably cut off the previews in only parts of Canada, but they know that making this broader move will light a fire under the butts of Canadian lawmakers.

Quite frankly, Canada is a small market in the grand scheme of things, and we only get these previews because we are close and we have strong ties to the movie industry. It is up to the government to do the right thing if they want to continue to enjoy these special privileges.

As far as movie piracy in general goes, it will continue as always, but the release dates might be just a little later.

Comment

Originally posted by War.mongeR1 View Post
                        They're just picking on Canada, because Canada's easy to pick on. The people in Hollyweird are just jerks like that.
                        They are picking on Canada because Canada is the ONLY place where they have this problem. It is that simple.

Comment

Originally posted by icky View Post
                          It is up to the government to do the right thing if they want to continue to enjoy these special privileges.
                          Which "right thing" laws are missing, exactly?

Comment

Originally posted by RandomGuy View Post
                            Which "right thing" laws are missing, exactly?
                            From the article being discussed in this very thread:
                            Citing a failure by the government of Canada to make illegal the recording of movies directly from the screen by camcorder, the studio will not issue advance screenings of such audience pleasers like "Harry Potter and the Order of The Phoenix" and "Ocean's 13." The ban will not affect press screenings.
                            ...and a few paragraphs further on...
                            Filming inside a theatre is not a criminal offence in Canada, and theatre owners are lobbying Ottawa to bring in tougher laws to combat the practice.

"We're pushing to have a Criminal Code amendment so that if you're caught camcording in the theatre, it's a criminal offence," said Frith.

Comment

I'm curious how the article actually fits with the law in question.

From what I understand Theatrical Screenings (being shown in the theater for the public) is different from Preview Screenings (pre-release to get interest from the theaters), Press Screenings (pre-release to get reviews to get interested in a 'good' movie), and the lesser evil of Developmental Screenings (pre-release version shown to do final censorship and editing for a region).

Of course you get cam copies during Theatrical Screenings. That would be the sticking point of people recording via camcorders during the show which seems to be the whole point of the article. But for preview screenings, developmental, and press screening the problem is more the people handling the film/disk since the movie isn't 'released' to the public yet.

Or maybe I'm just getting what I think the different screenings are all wrong. -.-
                              My sanity is not in question...
                              It was a confirmed casualty some time ago.

Light, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they ticked me off.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X