Death Row Convict donates last meal to the Homeless

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Death Row Convict donates last meal to the Homeless

See the linky for an interesting story on CNN this morning. Said inmate is slated to be executed soon and in response to the "last meal" request he asked that the state donate pizza's to a homeless shelter. The state said no but some citizens banded together and donated $1200 worth of pizza in the convicts name.

I can't help but recall a classic line from the the movie Full Metal Jacket. During the battle for Hue a full bird colonel asks why Rafterman's helmet is emblazoned with both a peace symbol and the words "Born to Kill"...Rafterman's answer is classic:.."Something about the duality of man...SIR !....you know... a Jungian thing." (The colonel's answer is even funnier)

There's something like that in this story, isn't there?

Please, please...don't get me wrong...I'm not saying the death row convict became a good guy just becuase he wanted to donate Pizza.

Comments??

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/05/09/exe...zza/index.html
    sigpic
    |TG-1st|Grunt
    ARMA Admin (retired)
    Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Re: Death Row Convict donates last meal to the Homeless

It's unfortunate that it takes your own mortality to realize ones sins in life :( Too bad it's too late for him.
    sigpic

Comment

The state said no. That sums up our government pretty well, I'd say.
      The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. ~
      I have a tendency to key out three or four things and then let them battle for supremacy while I key, so there's a lot of backspacing as potential statements are slaughtered and eaten by the victors. ~
      Feel free to quote me. ~

Comment

Originally posted by ednos View Post
        The state said no. That sums up our government pretty well, I'd say.
        Ya they probably wanted to send muffin stumps instead
        Dizlor

Comment

I can understand why the State said no. If they did it this time what would happen next?

It is amazing, even hopeful, that a condemned man's gesture could have such an impact on so many others.

Jungian indeed.
          Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
          - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
          - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
          - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
          - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
          - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
          - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Originally posted by El_Gringo_Grande View Post
            I can understand why the State said no. If they did it this time what would happen next?
            What would happen next?

Comment

Originally posted by sordavie View Post
              What would happen next?
              Just the requests that could be made. Some of them may not be practicle or they might (gasp) be used as a delaying tactic.
              Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
              - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
              - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
              - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
              - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
              - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
              - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

As an update, many people in the area decided to collect $1200 in donations and delivered over 100 pizzas to homeless shelters, to honor this man's last wish.

Article here:

Comment

Originally posted by luna View Post
                  As an update, many people in the area decided to collect $1200 in donations and delivered over 100 pizzas to homeless shelters, to honor this man's last wish.

Article here:
                  Same link in the OP...but thanks for the (??) update.
                  sigpic
                  |TG-1st|Grunt
                  ARMA Admin (retired)
                  Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

So to sum it up: the guy who kills a cop while strung up on drugs was about to be put to death. His last request was to send a pizza to the homeless shelter, but the state didn't honor his request. So his good deed was blocked by the state before he was excuted. I'm conflicted, what really motivated those people to send pizzas in the guys name? Was it to show that they cared about him? Or we're they showing unity against a state policy that didn't honor a cop killer's last wish? And in the end was it the convict that did the good deed or was it the nice people who heard the story and fullfilled the copkiller's last request?

Comment

Can good come from an evil source? Is the measure of a good deed determined by the intent of the actor, or is it good on its face? Is pizza that much of a compassionate gift? I am tempted to dig out my Plato. But not that tempted.
                      In game handle: Steel Scion
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by El_Gringo_Grande View Post
                        Just the requests that could be made. Some of them may not be practicle or they might (gasp) be used as a delaying tactic.
                        That some requests should be denied does not imply that all should. You must have some kind of slippery slope argument in your mind. I can't see how honoring the guy's request here will imply that we need to honor requests that may not be practical or used for delaying execution.

Comment

Originally posted by NorCalRoach View Post
                          So to sum it up: the guy who kills a cop while strung up on drugs was about to be put to death. His last request was to send a pizza to the homeless shelter, but the state didn't honor his request. So his good deed was blocked by the state before he was excuted. I'm conflicted, what really motivated those people to send pizzas in the guys name? Was it to show that they cared about him? Or we're they showing unity against a state policy that didn't honor a cop killer's last wish? And in the end was it the convict that did the good deed or was it the nice people who heard the story and fullfilled the copkiller's last request?
                          I was a bit conflicted myself and like you I didn't know what to make of the story--that's why I posted in the SB. I wanted to get some feed back from others.

My take is you have to start at the beginning. He killed while committing a crime and there's no room for anything else but harsh punishment there. Was his last wish a ploy for publicity or a genuine effort to do something good. you know convicts know the system better than anyone so I have to believe he knew the state would say no to his request and that leads me to think he made a self serving decision that would focus the media spotlight on his case...hoping for....??? what... a stay...The story just intrigued me on a couple of different levels.
                          sigpic
                          |TG-1st|Grunt
                          ARMA Admin (retired)
                          Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Originally posted by Steeler View Post
                            Can good come from an evil source? Is the measure of a good deed determined by the intent of the actor, or is it good on its face? Is pizza that much of a compassionate gift? I am tempted to dig out my Plato. But not that tempted.
                            I don't think Plato's ethics would tell you whether this act is good or not. But, I think it's pretty obvious that this is a kind gesture.

Comment

It can be debated if his motives were pure enough to be praiseworthy till everyone is blue in the face, but the fact is he's dead now so the point is moot. It is just as equally possible his last request was an attempt at redemption, that it was a calculated move to swing public support, or that it was a last vindictive attack against the institution about to execute him.

On the one hand his last request was to give a vegetarian pizza be given to one homeless person. While the act of giving instead of recieving is good you have to wonder why was his request in such a way? Why a vegetarian pizza and why a homeless person and not a homeless shelter?

And if they did honor his request? How many people would be up in arms over the execution of a supposedly 'good' person? They certainly thought well enough of him to donate plenty of food in his name.

The real tragedy in this story is that it just shows how narrow minded and silly people can be. I'm willing to wager a good deal of the people who donated without a name have NEVER given thought to the homeless before they were told that the government blocked the convict's request. Why give pizzas in a convicts name when the reason should be shame that they give less thought to the unfortunate then a man on deathrow. In the end the homeless will be forgotten once more because people will fixate on the fact that the government refused to donate to charity as a last request.

Spending $1200 in donations on pizza for one day is a bloody waste. Spending that same money to fund a shelter or soup kitchen for a longer period of time instead would've done some good.
                              My sanity is not in question...
                              It was a confirmed casualty some time ago.

Light, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they ticked me off.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X