Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Teachers Stage Fake Gunman Attack on Students!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teachers Stage Fake Gunman Attack on Students!

This seems like a very harsh way to teach the kids. Talk about tramatic! I think they went way past the acceptable limit of what a teacher is allowed to do with out contacting the students parents first. What do you guys think about this story?

MURFREESBORO, Tenn. - Staff members of an elementary school staged a fictitious gun attack on students during a class trip, telling them it was not a drill as the children cried and hid under tables.

ADVERTISEMENT

The mock attack Thursday night was intended as a learning experience and lasted five minutes during the weeklong trip to a state park, said Scales Elementary School Assistant Principal Don Bartch, who led the trip.

"We got together and discussed what we would have done in a real situation," he said.

But parents of the sixth-grade students were outraged.

"The children were in that room in the dark, begging for their lives, because they thought there was someone with a gun after them," said Brandy Cole, whose son went on the trip.

Some parents said they were upset by the staff's poor judgment in light of the April 16 shootings at Virginia Tech that left 33 students and professors dead, including the gunman.

During the last night of the trip, staff members convinced the 69 students that there was a gunman on the loose. They were told to lie on the floor or hide underneath tables and stay quiet. A teacher, disguised in a hooded sweat shirt, even pulled on locked door.

After the lights went out, about 20 kids started to cry, 11-year-old Shay Naylor said.

"I was like, 'Oh My God,' " she said. "At first I thought I was going to die. We flipped out."

Principal Catherine Stephens declined to say whether the staff members involved would face disciplinary action, but said the situation "involved poor judgment."
    link:
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070513/...s/faked_attack

Re: Teachers Stage Fake Gunman Attack on Students!

The school has responded with a press release detailing the story from their perspective. Assuming that the truth is somewhere in between the "sensational" news release and the school's press release, I do think it's being over dramatized a bit.

I think it may have been borderline inappropriate, but not as bad as the media is making it out to be.

Scales Elementary news release
    Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

Wow. I don't know what to make out of this one. They say they were doing it as a drill for the learning experience, but I can't remember what drills in elementary school the student body wasn't privied to... Had they conducted a fire drill without letting us know about it, hysteria would have ensued, and some people probably would have gotten hurt. I'm glad that this didn't happen with these kids.

Very poor judgement, indeed.

Comment

Would have been cooler with blank rounds and Hollywood effect gore.

I sense an awesome South Park episode coming up!
        A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

"$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

Comment

I remember high school quite fondly.

We would occasionally have "School Assault" drills which involved the teachers locking the doors of their class rooms with students inside and pulling down shades as students hid under desks. The NJROTC group attached with the school would then use the NSI and ANSI's arms locker key to release retired NATO M1 rifles with 1 clip of live ammo per rifle and a saber to Cadet Commanders (highest rank a brigade sized NJROTC group can have) down to Cadet Ensign. Meanwhile the Cadet Armory Officer with assistants would work on the decommisioned drill rifles to release the firing pins so that more rifles could be issued to members of the rifle team/drill team going from Cadet Master Cheif down to Cadet Petty Officer Second Class (the lowest rank a live weapon would be issued to). Decommisioned rifles with fused firing pins would be issued to Cadet Chief Petty Officers down to Cadet Petty Officer Third class who were not members of the drill/rifle team for show and because 14lbs of wood/fiberglass and steel makes a pretty nice weapon even if it can't fire. Squads would be assigned a classroom building and take position in the inner halls covering the doors with live weapons incase a breach of the perimeter (school was surrounded by 2 chainlink fences, 1 around the outside of the school and one around the 'higher education'/Advanced Placement section of the school with barbed wire on top) by hostile forces occured.

Of course, this was because the high school was on pretty bad turf. There would be a shooting nearby at least once a week and teachers were constantly finding guns and knives on students. Of course if you wore blue or red clothing you were going to get knifed or shot by one of the two rival gangs in the area and the local prison was located next to the national guard armory in the city which was located next to an elementary school.

Ah yes. Fond memories.
          My sanity is not in question...
          It was a confirmed casualty some time ago.

Light, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they ticked me off.

Comment

I am still shaking my head in disbelief at this one. This sounds more like an unethical psychology experiment than useful training.

Up, sluggard, and waste not life; in the grave will be sleeping enough! Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Teachers: Bad taste + poor judgment

Parents: Paranoia + reactionary anger

Sum total: Stupid BS.

Kids: They'll be fine.
              In game handle: Steel Scion
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Steeler View Post
                Teachers: Bad taste + poor judgment

Parents: Paranoia + reactionary anger

Sum total: Stupid BS.

Kids: They'll be fine.
                Agreed.
                Become a supporting member!
                Buy a Tactical Duck!
                Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

The punishment fell on a head teacher and an assistant principle. They are suspended for the rest of the school year without pay.
                  The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. ~
                  I have a tendency to key out three or four things and then let them battle for supremacy while I key, so there's a lot of backspacing as potential statements are slaughtered and eaten by the victors. ~
                  Feel free to quote me. ~

Comment

Originally posted by ednos View Post
                    The punishment fell on a head teacher and an assistant principle. They are suspended for the rest of the school year without pay.
                    That sounds overly harsh.

Comment

Overly harsh? Hah... what idiot thought this could possibly not have a terrible **** storm in its wake?

I'll give post traumatic stress disorder to 30% of my students while making the other 70% consider their imminent death! I hope I get a promotion!

If students were informed of the drill it would have been fine. They wouldn't have been afraid and they'd learn a standardized response in case the real thing happened. In this case they went through all the trauma of a real event with no considerable benefit.

And where the hell did tarenth grow up!?
                      Rough freaking neighborhood!
                      |TG|Switch

Better known as:
                      That noob who crashed the chopper.
                      That noob who ran over the mine.
                      That noob who TK'd me with a sniper rifle.
                      That noob who hit that APC at 300m with light AT! Our APC...

Comment

If you don't deal with the fear in a drill, you won't learn anything. We have had countless fire drills during school, and yet when a real fire occurred, there was still an amazing amount of panic, and perhaps one in every five individuals followed standard operating procedures. The degree of reality of a situation, if you're one of those normal people who can tell the difference between fantasy and reality, directly affects the effectiveness of the situation on your brain.
                        The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. ~
                        I have a tendency to key out three or four things and then let them battle for supremacy while I key, so there's a lot of backspacing as potential statements are slaughtered and eaten by the victors. ~
                        Feel free to quote me. ~

Comment

Originally posted by ednos View Post
                          If you don't deal with the fear in a drill, you won't learn anything. We have had countless fire drills during school, and yet when a real fire occurred, there was still an amazing amount of panic, and perhaps one in every five individuals followed standard operating procedures. The degree of reality of a situation, if you're one of those normal people who can tell the difference between fantasy and reality, directly affects the effectiveness of the situation on your brain.
                          I don't agree with this just due to personal experience and knowledge of the learning process.

In the navy we had MANY general quarter drills. Our XO liked have at least one a week. The average time to set condition ZEBRA (a level of water tightness) during the drills was about 20 minutes. A aircraft carrier is huge so that isn't bad.

On day while patrolling in the middle east we had a real General quarters. Two un-identified targets where heading straight for our ship and they did not respond to any requests. To top it off there was a "Steel Beach Picnic" going on so the flight deck had BBQ grills, volley ball nets, a band and a bunch of other things going on.

Now the last time the ship had a real General Quarters was, I believe, when it partook in the attack against Libya.

We obtained condition ZEBRA in about 10 minutes. This is amazing. And this happened even though practically every body aboard the ship had only been in drills. Very few had ever been in a real "situation".

Drilling can be very effective as long as it is carried out consistently. The "fear" does not need to be present. It might hasten learning. But I doubt it. In fact having the "fear" present would hamper learning if mistakes where made during the drills.
                          Im not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
                          - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
                          - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
                          - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
                          - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
                          - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
                          - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

I don't know if anyone bothered to read the link Apophis posted, but the school's report of the incident is completely different than the version posted in the news article, and most of the criticisms you guys are leveling at the school wouldn't apply to that version of events.

Of course, there's the question of how much trust to give the school's press release, but lately I'm not sure I give news reporters much trust either.

Comment

story from an AP article appearing on CNN:
                              MURFREESBORO, Tennessee (AP) -- A teacher and assistant principal who frightened sixth-grade students on a class trip by telling them a gunman was on the loose were staging a prank, a spokeswoman for the schools said.

The school district's statement reversed earlier statements by the assistant principal that it was planned as a learning experience.

Teacher Quentin Mastin came up with the prank, said Murfreesboro City School District spokeswoman Cheryl Harris. It was his turn to tell a scary story to 69 sixth-graders from Scales Elementary School who were on a weeklong trip at Fall Creek Falls State Park.

He decided to pretend there was someone shooting a gun. The children were called into the common area and told there were two men driving around shooting randomly. Then a teacher told the students to "do a code red" -- a school emergency drill -- and they got under the tables and turned off the lights.

Another teacher drove a car up to the building and flashed the headlights while a third put a sweat shirt over her head and rattled the doors. That's when some of the children started crying.

"They never meant for it to get carried to the point it did," Harris said.

When teachers realized some of the children were really scared, they turned on the lights and told them they had just been pretending.

"They took the opportunity to say, 'This was a prank, but if it had been an emergency, you did the right thing,"' she said.

Assistant principal Don Bartch had been quoted in newspapers over the weekend portraying the incident as a planned learning experience. "We got together and discussed what we would have done in a real situation," he said.

Harris said that discussion occurred, but not as part of a drill. Bartch, reached at his home, said he concurred with her version of events.

The school district announced Monday that Mastin and Bartch had been suspended without pay for the rest of the school year, which ends June 1. The other teachers who participated were not disciplined.

Jessica Giles, an assistant professor of psychology at Vanderbilt University who studies the consequences of violence and trauma on children, suggested that regardless of whether the incident was a drill or a prank, the effect on the children would probably be the same.

It is reasonable to expect that at least some of those students might suffer from "increased amounts of fear about violence and school shootings and increased distrust for authority figures," she said.

"If it was a prank or a learning experience, does it matter?" she asked. "Can you clean up later?"

School principal Catherine Stephens held a meeting Saturday with parents who were upset by the prank. The children who were on the trip were offered counseling, Harris said, "and the counselor said the children were upset because their teacher was not going to be there for the end of school."
                              lol. well I am not sure which was dumber, doing it as a legit drill, or doing it as a campground scare then trying to cover it up as a drill.

Up, sluggard, and waste not life; in the grave will be sleeping enough! Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X