US Blocks Military access to Youtube/Myspace

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US Blocks Military access to Youtube/Myspace

I was wondering why this took so long. I noticed press coverage of troops posting combat videos to these sites, so I can only assume this is the response. But to claim it's bandwidth-related? Phoey.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/6655153.stm

Re: US Blocks Military access to Youtube/Myspace

Many businesses block certain websites to keep up productivity. I know that the military historically scans mail to ensure security and can only imagine how difficult it could be with Myspace/youtube etc... While I understand why it was necessary it still leaves me wishing there was another option.

Lucky Shot

Comment

The bandwidth thing is garbage. They're trying to safeguard information. I know a lot of people who are deployed who give regular status updates through myspace and facebook on their location and how things are going. Sometimes the military doesnt want people to tell even their loved ones their location, but when you're staring at the faces of your friends and family on a computer screen and reading messages about how much they miss you and wonder where you are and how you're doing, it's tough to deny the impulse to tell them. This way, the military has a bit more control over that. The big problem is that crafty people will find ways around it, like blogging.

Comment

The bandwidth issue is NOT a red herring, it is a legitimate concern. I am not saying it is the only reason, but it is a concern. We have a similar setup and restrictions not to overdo Youtube and other similar sites. We have to use it off peak hours or use other similar limits.

If I am not mistaken, Youtube does not throttle bandwidth, so it will use up as much as is available. The pipes that bring internet access to government facilities (especially overseas) are limited for security reasons so that if you have a couple people streaming youtube it will seriously bottleneck your network depending on the size of the facility, the number of employees, and the total available bandwidth (I have seen it in action).
        LoyalGuard

Comment

No doy. Why is this even news. On base, my access to youtube, hotmail, or anything entertainment related was blocked. The government network sucks as it is, so yes they do need all the bandwidth they can get. Ya'll have no clue how crappy the Tricare or id card network is. Everything is horribly slow. It is also about productivity as well. They don't want us slacking off when we should be doing something else. No conspiracy here at all.
          "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

Yeah, loyalguard is right on. Bandwidth is VERY much an issue, especially with the military overseas. Prioritization of comms is also just a little bit more important than over here for us civvies.
            Become a supporting member!
            Buy a Tactical Duck!
            Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
            TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Youtube I can see as a bandwidth threat, but myspace? Also, maybe some of you with more military experience can correct me, but aren't official communications run on a completely separate network? I can't imagine that they would commingle that traffic with the likes of youtube and myspace.

Comment

I think the myspace restricton might also result from the high number of embedded videos and music files in so many myspace pages now.
                LoyalGuard

Comment

Originally posted by AMosely View Post
                  Also, maybe some of you with more military experience can correct me, but aren't official communications run on a completely separate network? I can't imagine that they would commingle that traffic with the likes of youtube and myspace.
                  Well, there are definitely separate networks for different levels of classification/encryption, but they're often going to be sharing the same bandwidth. Think in terms of radio and satellite transmissions instead of civilian telecommunications infrastructure.

Most of the troops are using computers at work to communicate with their families back home. I doubt that there are very many that took their computers into a combat zone with them, in hopes of being able to find an internet cafe in a country that only had 3 computers connected to the internet just 4 years ago...
                  Buy a Tactical Duck!
                  Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."

Comment

Well we never could be able to get into myspace and other sites like those back into the states due to it being blocked. But in the Desert we could get on any site we wanted to. It took awhile but I could access Tactical Gamer and post things.

This isnt really new info to me because it has always been like this.

I tell you this much though, If they took myspace off in the Desert, there will be some REAL PISSED OFF people including me. This was the only way that I contacted friends back home let them know I was doing fine.
                    "Dirtboy is super awesome, and chicks dig him too!"- Everyone

Comment

Originally posted by Dirtboy View Post
                      I tell you this much though, If they took myspace off in the Desert, there will be some REAL PISSED OFF people including me. This was the only way that I contacted friends back home let them know I was doing fine.
                      Yeah, that's what makes me think that it's just as much an OPSEC problem as a bandwidth problem. Look around MySpace, at how stupid some people are... Unless the .mil can somehow force everyone's profile to be set to private, there's a serious problem there.

Along the same lines: In some private Homeland Security forums that I read, there's a thread about idiotic federal agents that have posted their name, photo, family photos, hometown and occupation in their MySpace profile. The guys that federal agents usually arrest are not exactly nice people that work for Amway. They're usually very bad people that work for criminal organizations. Imagine the potential there... And at the same time, I've used MySpace the other way, too. Pride is powerful, and street gangs have a lot of pride. Good intel to be found on MySpace.
                      Buy a Tactical Duck!

Comment

Boohoo, the Air Force never let us have this stuff.

Edit: DB, I think thats because the Army allows it. The AF is rather strict about internet usage.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X