Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Run-in changes lawmaker's stance

Run-in changes lawmaker's stance

It's funny how a gun can instantly change your perspective on things, make you wish you could rewrite history.

State Rep. Michael DeBose, a southside Cleveland Democrat, discovered this lesson the night of May 1, when he thought he was going to die. That's the night he wished he had that gun vote back....

Click for complete story.

Re: Run-in changes lawmaker's stance

The site tries to bug you in order to read the (entirely unnecessary) second page, but if you use the "Print This" link you can read the whole thing.

Comment

Its kinda weird they talk about him "taking back" a vote that failed anyway. He voted to oppose a Concealed Carry bill, but enough people voted in support that it still passed. So what exactly does he need to change about the past?

Comment

Originally posted by Kerostasis View Post
        Its kinda weird they talk about him "taking back" a vote that failed anyway. He voted to oppose a Concealed Carry bill, but enough people voted in support that it still passed. So what exactly does he need to change about the past?
        Very true. There's no sense in regretting your past views if the bill still passed anyway, regardless of your past views. Interesting story, anyhow. It's funny how an experience like this can quickly change one's view on the issue. Every person I know who is staunchly against guns, has no experience with guns AND has never been acosted before. Don't mean to hijack the thread, though. Carry on.
        "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

I'm against gun control, but honestly this article is crap. He gets scared by someone with a gun and then wishes that more people had guns? Not likely. That and just the general tone and rhetoric of the piece are laughable. Frankly there are much more compelling arguments against gun control out there, and I'm a little embarrassed to be associated with this one.

Comment

Originally posted by 1Stop|Beowulf View Post
            I'm against gun control, but honestly this article is crap. He gets scared by someone with a gun and then wishes that more people had guns? Not likely. That and just the general tone and rhetoric of the piece are laughable. Frankly there are much more compelling arguments against gun control out there, and I'm a little embarrassed to be associated with this one.
            I've talked to several people that have had their entire view on gun control changed by a single event similar to what this guy experienced. But I'll agree that it's a crappy article that is poorly written!
            Become a supporting member!
            Buy a Tactical Duck!
            Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
            TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Important thing to note - the author isn't a reporter, but a columnist (and a self-satisfied "plain dealer" columnist, at that). So I'm not surprised that he delivers a smug, schadenfreude-heavy piece.
              In game handle: Steel Scion
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality View Post
                I've talked to several people that have had their entire view on gun control changed by a single event similar to what this guy experienced. But I'll agree that it's a crappy article that is poorly written!
                It's from The Plain Dealer -- whaddya expect?? ;)

Originally posted by War.mongeR1
                It's funny how an experience like this can quickly change one's view on the issue.
                Exactly. Regardless of how it's written, what interested me about this article is that the guy is in my state's legislature. It took an experience like his before he finally saw the light.

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality View Post
                  I've talked to several people that have had their entire view on gun control changed by a single event similar to what this guy experienced.
                  Yeah, me too.

note: HAH! I stopped reading after the ad on the second page 'cause I thought it was over . . . I thought it just ended without ever providing a shred of factual evidence that he actually did change his mind. Well I feel a lot better now, but its still a pretty bad piece.

Comment

IMHO reactionist lawmaking is rarely good lawmaking, regardless of what the reaction is.

This lawmaker will most likely find that those who want more gun control will dismiss his arguments because of this recent experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Article
                      They say the definition of a conservative is a liberal who has been mugged. DeBose's CCW application will bear some witness to that notion.
                      WRONG. A Neo-Conservative was described by Irving Kristol as a Liberal who has been mugged by reality. It has absolutely nothing to do with this.

What horrendously poor journalism.

-Zephyr
                      You were once like the newbie who needed a hand from above and TacticalGamer gave you it.

You owe the newbie who comes after you that same outstretched hand from above on your honor as a Tactical Gamer.

Tactics at TG come from trust and friendship, not meticulous detail and rigid discipline.

Everyone should be assumed mature until proven otherwise.

We are no clan.
                      We are not a single game.
                      We are mature, intelligent, and cooperative individuals.
                      We are TacticalGamer, a community above and beyond its name.

Comment

This is also true of so called "Liberal" issues.

Some very staunch anti-abortionists change their view when it is their son or daughter involved. Same with anti-gay, anti-welfare, anti-immigration... Usually those that are "Anti" something are speaking from a place of ignorance/safty.
                        Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
                        - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
                        - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
                        - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
                        - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
                        - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
                        - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Originally posted by El_Gringo_Grande View Post
                          This is also true of so called "Liberal" issues.

Some very staunch anti-abortionists change their view when it is their son or daughter involved. Same with anti-gay, anti-welfare, anti-immigration... Usually those that are "Anti" something are speaking from a place of ignorance/safty.
                          Extreme opinions on both sides generally produce this type of behavior.
                          Gigan - Shaman (Resto)
                          Pistos - Semi-retired Shadowpriest
                          ...and other distractions of various levels.

Comment

Originally posted by Iamthefallen View Post
                            IMHO reactionist lawmaking is rarely good lawmaking, regardless of what the reaction is.

This lawmaker will most likely find that those who want more gun control will dismiss his arguments because of this recent experience.
                            I don't think I agree with you on this. I agree that reactionist lawmaking is rarely good, but I don't think this is the case here. I think that a life changing experience is quite different from a knee jerk reaction. We're not talking about proposing legislation in response to a single event here, we're talking about someone that has switched from one viewpoint to the opposite because of a personal journey into reality.
                            Become a supporting member!
                            Buy a Tactical Duck!
                            Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                            TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                            X