Thailand names most beautiful transsexual

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thailand names most beautiful transsexual

A 21-year-old student and aspiring social worker was named Thailand's most beautiful transsexual late on Friday (local time), in a pageant bursting with glitter and sequins that has become a national spectacle.

In a nation obsessed with beauty pageants and renowned for its sexual tolerance, the Miss Tiffany Universe competition is taken every bit as seriously as more traditional pageants.

Wearing a white beaded evening gown, Thanyarasmi Siraphatphakorn won the crown in the early hours of Saturday after a glittering competition that was broadcast on national television.

Known locally as "kathoey," or the third gender, Thai transsexuals have slowly been leaving cabarets for mainstream success in music or other pursuits, helped in part by the popularity of the Miss Tiffany contest.

"I am so happy to win the title. This is the biggest dream of every kathoey," Ms Siraphatphakorn told reporters after winning the tiara, a 100,000 baht ($AU3,612) cash prize and a new Mercedes Benz.

The winners of the Miss Tiffany pageant, now in its 10th year, are often showered with entertainment deals, but Ms Siraphatphakorn said she wanted to return to the impoverished Issan region where she grew up to become a social worker.

"I want to become a social worker," she said.

"Many people, particularly in Issan, do not have many opportunities, so they need help from teachers and social workers to improve their lives."

The contestants compete in evening gowns and cocktail dresses, while other kathoey performers danced in garters, fishnets and feathered head-dresses.

Judges also made a nod to Thailand's political turmoil, using the question and answer segment to quiz the contestants about their hopes for the constitution currently being drafted by a military-appointed panel.

Many contestants said they hoped the new charter would for the first time guarantee legal protections for gays, or that a kathoey politician would emerge to join in the process.

Seri Wongmonta, a prominent academic and an organiser of the event, says the judges asked political questions to show that the contestants are more than just pretty faces.

"Over the next five or 10 years, Thai kathoeys will become more and more famous for their beauty and their brains," he said.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems...5/s1921434.htm

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

-Benjamin Franklin

Re: Thailand names most beautiful transsexual

It is good to see that a country, with a military regime no less, allows the celebration of a term that in (many)other countries are used as a swearword/degratory term.
    --
    VI VI VI - the number of the beast

Comment

Indeed, it is quite remarkable and I'm very pleased to see such tolerance appearing all around the world today.

I also found this somewhat amusing:

Lollercoaster...

-Zephyr
      You were once like the newbie who needed a hand from above and TacticalGamer gave you it.

You owe the newbie who comes after you that same outstretched hand from above on your honor as a Tactical Gamer.

Tactics at TG come from trust and friendship, not meticulous detail and rigid discipline.

Everyone should be assumed mature until proven otherwise.

We are no clan.
      We are not a single game.
      We are mature, intelligent, and cooperative individuals.
      We are TacticalGamer, a community above and beyond its name.

Comment

Look up any of the "Ladyboy" shows in Thailand or on Youtube and you'll see things that will make you scratch your head in confusion. Hands down the MEN who participate in those acts are more attractive than the few women who pepper the stage.
        My sanity is not in question...
        It was a confirmed casualty some time ago.

Light, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they ticked me off.

Comment

Originally posted by Tarenth View Post
          Look up any of the "Ladyboy" shows in Thailand or on Youtube and you'll see things that will make you scratch your head in confusion. Hands down the MEN who participate in those acts are more attractive than the few women who pepper the stage.
          This could hardly be considered surprising, as after all it is the male view of female beauty which gains the most acceptance amongst all males throughout the media connected world.

If anything, beauty competitions like this show the bizarre and perfectionist nature of our standards of beauty and how greatly they've spread around the world.

Why would it surprise anyone that a man would be better at being a "hot" woman if he could fake enough of the secondary sexual characteristics to pass as one while emulating what he(she) knows males are receptive to?

I would posit the statement that transsexuality may no longer be entirely about physiological mental gender mismatches but rather about expressing the human desire to be beautiful and (thus) accepted...

Sometimes I wonder exactly what this means for humanity as a whole.

-Zephyr
          You were once like the newbie who needed a hand from above and TacticalGamer gave you it.

You owe the newbie who comes after you that same outstretched hand from above on your honor as a Tactical Gamer.

Tactics at TG come from trust and friendship, not meticulous detail and rigid discipline.

Everyone should be assumed mature until proven otherwise.

We are no clan.
          We are not a single game.
          We are mature, intelligent, and cooperative individuals.
          We are TacticalGamer, a community above and beyond its name.

Comment

Originally posted by Zephyr View Post
            Indeed, it is quite remarkable and I'm very pleased to see such tolerance appearing all around the world today.

-Zephyr
            You think the US would have such tolerances for a nationally broad casted pageant like this? I think i know the answer but its interesting to see this type of stuff around the world and then americans kind of smerk at it asking why?
            that sounds like a good idea trooper.
            -Vulcan

Comment

Why would it surprise anyone that a man would be better at being a "hot" woman if he could fake enough of the secondary sexual characteristics to pass as one while emulating what he(she) knows males are receptive to?

-Zephyr
              What do you mean by secondary? I think they had wangectomys.

Comment

Originally posted by Hambergler View Post
                What do you mean by secondary? I think they had wangectomys.
                Well, they have no ovaries or uterus. After a "wangectomy" you kind of just have a mutilated wang. You're just missing some parts and tissue so it's no longer functional, and it's been reshaped to look like something else.

Comment

Originally posted by Trooper View Post
                  You think the US would have such tolerances for a nationally broad casted pageant like this? I think i know the answer but its interesting to see this type of stuff around the world and then americans kind of smerk at it asking why?

I ask why about regular beauty pageants. :p It all seems so pointless.

Comment

Originally posted by sordavie View Post
                    Well, they have no ovaries or uterus. After a "wangectomy" you kind of just have a mutilated wang. You're just missing some parts and tissue so it's no longer functional, and it's been reshaped to look like something else.
                    My wang is not secondary!

Comment

first off, the contestant in the back was robbed!

second off, should i be bothered that my dad just won that contest? ;)

enough joking time to get serious

i think it is nice to see an open minded culture but i think that from what i know of thailand they are a very open culture sexually which is part of the reason HIV is very widespread over there

could be wrong tho

Comment

Originally posted by deathknight View Post
                        i think it is nice to see an open minded culture but i think that from what i know of thailand they are a very open culture sexually which is part of the reason HIV is very widespread over there

could be wrong tho
                        You are correct. It is seriously open sexually. And it does indeed have one of the highest per capita venereal disease rates in the world. You can practically catch something just by looking at those girls in the bars there. I wouldn't touch a thai juicy girl with a 10-foot pole.
                        "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

Originally posted by War.mongeR1 View Post
                          You are correct. It is seriously open sexually. And it does indeed have one of the highest per capita venereal disease rates in the world. You can practically catch something just by looking at those girls in the bars there. I wouldn't touch a thai juicy girl with a 10-foot pole.
                          Not to mention that many of the "girls" are "boys".

It is fascinating to watch, though. Was there for a couple of days and I doubt I will ever see anything like it again.
                          Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
                          - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
                          - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
                          - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
                          - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
                          - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
                          - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Originally posted by War.mongeR1 View Post
                            I wouldn't touch a thai juicy girl with a 10-foot pole.
                            Braggart! :D
                            Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

I would posit the statement that transsexuality may no longer be entirely about physiological mental gender mismatches but rather about expressing the human desire to be beautiful and (thus) accepted...
                              Interesting theory.

I put a lot of attention into making my girl WoW toons attractive. Given two pieces of gear with equal stats, I pick the prettier one. I equip them with pretty dresses to wear in town.

When asked by some horny guy in-game if I'm really a guy, I just tell him that my "meat avatar" is male.

If you could play a girl soldier in the BF series, would you? I think their absence is a major oversight. Girl characters were quite popular in Tribes 2.
                              Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X