Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• McDonalds Gives away Extra 'Special' Happy meal

Originally posted by mywebtimes.com
    The family of an 8-year-old who found a small bag of marijuana, a smoking pipe and a lighter in a McDonald's Happy Meal this week said they will most likely not sue, but would like an apology.

On Monday, Ottawan Keith Irelan and his three children went through the drive-through at McDonald's, 127 E. Norris Drive, to buy food. Shortly after, one of the children -- an 8-year-old girl -- asked her father about the extra contents in her bag.

"I'm upset that no one has made an attempt to apologize to my daughter," the girl's mother told The Times. "That could have changed our entire lives."

Their daughter asked questions about her discovery and her parents told her it was an illegal drug.

"She said, 'Well, if it's so bad for you, why was it in my Happy Meal?'"

Not only did the family have to deal with their daughter's confusion, they also said they were nervous about the possibility of getting pulled over by the police while they unknowingly carried a illegal drug on the way to their destination, a local school.

The family said they haven't spoken to a lawyer and have no immediate plans to do so.

"It doesn't even seem real to us yet," the mother said. "This was the last thing we ever expected."

The case has drawn attention from several Chicago television stations this week.

"We just want it to go away, but it's upsetting," the mother said.

Brandon Scott, 17, 523 Chambers St., Ottawa, said the materials belonged to him and he had placed them in an empty Happy Meal box, according to the Ottawa Police Department.

Scott was charged with possession of marijuana and possession of drug paraphernalia. He was released with a notice to appear in Circuit Court.

Scott was fired from McDonald's, said Guy Bucciferro, owner/operator of the Ottawa McDonald's.

"Nothing is more important to me than the safety and well-being of my customers and employees," Bucciferro said in a statement released through McDonald's corporate headquarters in Oak Brook.
    Also another article:
    http://abclocal.go.com/wtvg/story?se...cal&id=5311152

Re: McDonalds Gives away Extra 'Special' Happy meal

Originally posted by the journalist
    "It doesn't even seem real to us yet," the mother said.
    Sheltered a bit?
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. ~
    I have a tendency to key out three or four things and then let them battle for supremacy while I key, so there's a lot of backspacing as potential statements are slaughtered and eaten by the victors. ~
    Feel free to quote me. ~

Comment

I, for one, respect the family for not exiting the drive-thru and immediately pulling up to a lawyer's firm. In this extremely litigious society of ours, it's refreshing to see an example of people who stop when justice is served, not push forward to see how much money they can get out of a silly teenage mistake. He was brought to court and fired, justice was served, move on with life. I applaud the family.
      I heart TG.
      xoxo

~Sugar~

"Tactics at TG come from trust and friendship, not meticulous detail and rigid discipline." ~I saw this in Zephy'rs sig and I love it.

Comment

Originally posted by |TG|SugarNCamo View Post
        I, for one, respect the family for not exiting the drive-thru and immediately pulling up to a lawyer's firm. In this extremely litigious society of ours, it's refreshing to see an example of people who stop when justice is served, not push forward to see how much money they can get out of a silly teenage mistake. He was brought to court and fired, justice was served, move on with life. I applaud the family.
        I agree entirely. This is refreshing to see.
        "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

In this extremely litigious society of ours, it's refreshing to see an example of people who stop when justice is served, not push forward to see how much money they can get out of a silly teenage mistake.
          No kidding. Heh, he was probably intending that 'happy meal' to go to one of his buddies.
          Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
          Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Comment

That reminded me of this for some reason. ^_^ Yeah, its a flash clip off a podunk site so it might take a bit to load.

Props to the family for not getting carried away and reacting to the situation with restraint.
            My sanity is not in question...
            It was a confirmed casualty some time ago.

Light, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they ticked me off.

Comment

Now that's a Happy Meal....

Comment

Why are they nervous about being pulled over by cops? It's probably not their first time driving around with a bag of pot in their possession.

Why aren't they suing?

Their lawsuit is probably up in smoke!

:D
                | | |

Comment

She has no idea of the current social significance of this question:
                  "Well, if it's so bad for you, why was it in my Happy Meal?'"
                  Peace through fear... since 1947!

Comment

Originally posted by ChopStick View Post
                    Now that's a Happy Meal....
                    :row__523:Probably listen to Bob Marley and Jerry Garcia while cleaning the fry grills after hours. Crazy hippie teenagers! Mmmm happy meals...mmmm brownies.

Comment

That happened in canada. If that were the US it'd be a whole other %@#^ storm.

The kid who claimed the pot would be in jail for half his life.
                      The kid with the happy meal with be in therapy @ 120 dollars an hour.
                      The family would be buying a new home with the settlement.
                      Mc Donalds would be doing something drastic to distract customers from what happened.
                      |TG|Switch

Better known as:
                      That noob who crashed the chopper.
                      That noob who ran over the mine.
                      That noob who TK'd me with a sniper rifle.
                      That noob who hit that APC at 300m with light AT! Our APC...

Comment

Ottawa, Illinois. Near Chicago.
                        Peace through fear... since 1947!

Comment

I would too if I could verify that their sensibility, not their bewilderment, caused this.
                          The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. ~
                          I have a tendency to key out three or four things and then let them battle for supremacy while I key, so there's a lot of backspacing as potential statements are slaughtered and eaten by the victors. ~
                          Feel free to quote me. ~

Comment

Yeah right, the father planted it in there, and he needed a excuse to get rid of it. He already knew McD's was getting blamed for people getting fat. Smart man.

Comment

Originally posted by icky View Post
                              Ottawa, Illinois. Near Chicago.
                              oh --

well then its amazing.
                              |TG|Switch

Better known as:
                              That noob who crashed the chopper.
                              That noob who ran over the mine.
                              That noob who TK'd me with a sniper rifle.
                              That noob who hit that APC at 300m with light AT! Our APC...

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X