The Creation Museum

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Creation Museum

While the concept isn't new, this "museum" is taking it to a new level.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/24/ar...65a&ei=5087%0A

Freedom of religion and belief, yes, but at least put a disclaimer up if you're going to sell ignorance as truth.

Re: The Creation Museum

I just heard about that this morning. Freaking creationists. A few educated idiots leading a flock of uneducated ones with their multimillion dollar museum to ignorance.

Saying the bible is literal and that evolution does not occur just makes me angry.

I could SHOW people evolution with a fish tank and a few hundred generations of fish. woo cichlids!
    |TG|Switch

Better known as:
    That noob who crashed the chopper.
    That noob who ran over the mine.
    That noob who TK'd me with a sniper rifle.
    That noob who hit that APC at 300m with light AT! Our APC...

Comment

Wow. When I stop and think what $27,000,000 could have bought besides this "museum"... damn.
      [volun2]
      NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
      Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
      <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
      <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

Good point pokerface. If these zealots really were religious they would spend the money on something that helps humanity. "Rich people don't go to heaven" - Jesus.
        Switch: Bacteria evolve to adapt to antibiotics in a few generations. You can demo that in a petri dish AFAIK not being a biologist.

Comment

You'll never get anywhere arguing logic, marstein. Hardcore creationists consider "microevolution" - that is, observable generational population changes in microbes - to be fundamentally different from "macroevolution" - the idea that God didn't make monkeys and dogs and cows out of thin air. Prove one thing, they demand that you prove another.

This has been brewing for a while, but scientists are starting to push back with political action.
          In game handle: Steel Scion
          sigpic

Comment

I always try and remind myself that you can lose battles but still win the war. Science is winning the war. Here in the 21st century, scientific research and discovery is delivering far more good to humankind than religion is. In fact, religion in a humanistic sense is quickly becoming a natural disaster. I can illustrate this hypothesis with a simple comparison of recent developments from each:

Religion : Global Islamic Terror
            Science : Global Information Age

Religion : Creation Museum
            Science : Large Hadron Collider at CERN

Comment

Nice.

There is a special-effects theater complete with vibrating seats meant to evoke the flood
              Heh.

Yes, I do have a very narrow mind.
              7Shades

How sweet, thought lifeless, yet with life to lie,
              And, without dying, O how sweet to die!
              - from Thomas Warton's "Ode to Sleep"

Comment

Originally posted by AMosely View Post
                Freedom of religion and belief, yes, but at least put a disclaimer up if you're going to sell ignorance as truth.
                What sort of disclaimer? You've got to remember the people who put this up really do believe what they're saying. You want them to say "We believe this is true but want to remind you there's lots of people who disagree with us"? I find it hard to believe any of their patrons can get through the front door without already knowing that. Or perhaps you want to go a step farther and not allow them to assert that these things are true to begin with? I'm not sure how you'd justify that one legally.

Comment

Originally posted by marstein View Post
                  Switch: Bacteria evolve to adapt to antibiotics in a few generations. You can demo that in a petri dish AFAIK not being a biologist.
                  Like they'd understand something they couldnt see directly. Im well aware of our prokaryote friends.
                  |TG|Switch

Better known as:
                  That noob who crashed the chopper.
                  That noob who ran over the mine.
                  That noob who TK'd me with a sniper rifle.
                  That noob who hit that APC at 300m with light AT! Our APC...

Comment

I also forgot to mention my favorite part of the 'creation museum' - their representation of 6000-year old humans look remarkably like white Americans of today, except they aren't overweight.

I can hear the banging of hundreds of thousands of heads of prominent anthropologists everywhere...
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Pokerface View Post
                      Wow. When I stop and think what $27,000,000 could have bought besides this "museum"... damn.
                      True. It could have enabled a bunch of long-haired developers to create pointless video games for old farts like us with too much time on our hands. :p
                      Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

My favorite part is the Noah's Ark display that depicts Noah taking dinosaurs onto the Ark before the flood...

As someone who believes in God even I find this museum to be offensive.
                        | | |

Comment

Originally posted by Kerostasis View Post
                          What sort of disclaimer? You've got to remember the people who put this up really do believe what they're saying.
                          That what they are presenting is imaginary and runs counter to almost every scientific discovery (not even mentioning theory) made by humankind. As I just posted, anthropology is a branch of science rooted in fact. Like the archaeological record, institutional anthropology is concerned with the physical record of humankind - the analysis of human development physically, genetically and culturally. 'Factual' museum exhibits are based on this evidence and cite the record both for the sake of education and validation.

Comment

Right, so you want them to post a disclaimer saying "everything we're about to show you is a lie and we totally made it up." Good luck getting them to agree to that one...

Comment

I don't think you can attack this sort of thing frontally. They have a right to say what they want, however foolish. You can, however, flank them with a public information campaign and increased focus on science teaching and making scientific concepts more accessible to the average citizen.

The state has an interest in this too, provided the state still has an interest in an educated electorate.
                              In game handle: Steel Scion
                              sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...