Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

oh yeah, RANT ON (or, "I wish the church behind my house would show compasion")

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oh yeah, RANT ON (or, "I wish the church behind my house would show compasion")

I've lived in my humble home since 1999, and it is situated very close to a catholic church, complete with private grade school. Now, I have no problems with the church, their right to worship, bla bla bla. HOWEVER, what I DO have a problem with them now.

Here's why;

For the last two weeks, my very closely packed suburban neighborhood has been FORCED to listen to artificial church bells. At the top northwest corner of the church are four large speakers that blast out church bells every day. They don't chime on the hour (thankfully) but they do ring them at the most bizzare times of the day. 8:10 AM and 6:10 PM. On Sundays: 7:10AM and 8:20 AM, then again at 11:10 AM, 6:10PM and 7:10 PM.

Just to make sure I'm thoroughly awake, the bells don't just chime a couple of times. NO.... that just wasn't obnoxious enough. They ring a low toned bell for twenty seconds. Then, after 15 second pause, they ring a high pitched bell for another 20 seconds. Just to make sure the ENTIRE neighbor hood is awake, they do it again at 8:10am.

Folks, I live 25 yards from this church. One of the spearkers is pointing DIRECTLY at my house.

I'm looking for legal advice. I can't afford an attorney. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know.

(PS. The thread title is a blatant attempt to steel as much attention as possible from the most successful rant thread in history. Thanks JMJ!)

Sometimes I feel like 2/3'rds Rice Krispies. Past "Snap" and "Crackle" but just shy of "Pop"!

Re: oh yeah, RANT ON (or, "I wish the church behind my house would show compasion")

This may be a dumb question, but have you let them know it was bothering you?

Comment

Re: oh yeah, RANT ON (or, "I wish the church behind my house would show compasion")

Originally posted by Hambergler View Post
      This may be a dumb question, but have you let them know it was bothering you?

Yes. One of my neighbors and I had a cordial conversation last Sunday with the priest ("Father Bob") as he was leaving the church and heading to his rectory. I explained to the "father" that this church is not located out in the middle of farmland surrounded by 5 miles of pasture. It's in the middle of a very densely packed neighborhood, and right next to a Jewish community center, down the street from a retirement home, and surrounded by blue collar workers some of whom work the night shift. There are many young married couples with infants in this area.

I expressed how long I had lived here and that I chose this house because it was a quiet, safe neighborhood. He asked me where I lived. I pointed to my house. It is so close from the door of the rectory you can plainly see my bird's cage in the window.

He acted as if he was shocked to learn that anyone would find the artificial bells offensive, and that the last thing the church wanted to do was upset the neighborhood. I call bullsh!t on that one. The congregation didn't ask ANYONE in the neighborhood if the bells would be acceptable, what time they could ring, how they would sound, or how loud they could be. "We're under the allowed decible level". Measured by whom? The people that sold you the stupid synthesized bells?

He promised to turn the volume down, which did happen. It is less loud. I can't say it's "quieter" because that would infer that it isn't loud. Let's just say that prior to "turning it down" my windows literally vibrated! Now, it just vibrates my eardrums enough to wake me from a sound sleep.

Now.... 8 years after buying my "quiet" home, I am forced to wake up on Sunday mornings at 7:10AM for the rest of the time I live in this house.

:icon_mad: :icon_mad: :icon_mad: :icon_mad: :icon_mad: :icon_mad:

Sometimes I feel like 2/3'rds Rice Krispies. Past "Snap" and "Crackle" but just shy of "Pop"!

Comment

I NEED LEGAL ADVICE. Is there any info about this? I've Googled, but no legal advice pertaining to church bells came up.

Comment

Just be thankful you don't live next to an Islamic Mosque. I've heard horror stories about Mosques popping up in Michigan and Florida that blast their prayers throughout the day. And if you've ever been to a big city in the mid-east, I'm sure you know how that sounds. Not trying to offend anyone hear, but to me it sounds pretty obnoxious. Especially since it's almost always super loud, high-pitched, and usually crackly.

These aren't in America, but just a taste of some of the sights and sounds similar to my experiences...except these sound half-way decent.
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPhozVSZRbc
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaFGxNdRlIM

Even then, though, I can surely understand your being annoyed. The should atleast shut off the speaker pointed at your house. Or how about getting some REAL bells. Bells that chime at the CORRECT times.
          "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

I've prepared a letter to give to the church. But, I need it to be reviewed from a legal standpoint. There are no threats, except for threat of a lawsuit.

Comment

Originally posted by War.mongeR1 View Post
              Just be thankful you don't live next to an Islamic Mosque. I've heard horror stories about Mosques popping up in Michigan and Florida that blast their prayers throughout the day. And if you've ever been to a big city in the mid-east, I'm sure you know how that sounds. Not trying to offend anyone hear, but to me it sounds pretty obnoxious. Especially since it's almost always super loud, high-pitched, and usually crackly.

These aren't in America, but just a taste of some of the sights and sounds similar to my experiences...except these sound half-way decent.
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPhozVSZRbc
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaFGxNdRlIM

Even then, though, I can surely understand your being annoyed. The should atleast shut off the speaker pointed at your house. Or how about getting some REAL bells. Bells that chime at the CORRECT times.

HA!! Perhaps I should rent loudspeakers and blast that at the church just as mass is about to start. Think that would get the point across?

Comment

I can point you at a fine selection of techno that may get the point across. Just make sure the rig you get is "under the allowed db level". Finding some death metal band and letting them practice at your house for a few Sundays might work too.
                Do or do not, there is no try....
                -- Yoda, Dagobah

Comment

Loudspeakers to blast the Church? Rofl. :D Now that's a funny idea!

You should get a signed affidavit that clearly states that these "bells ringing in morning" should cease and desist until there has been a majority community meeting to determine the times, volume, and such of each "broadcast".
                  |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                  TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                  Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                  Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I wold avoid any sort of hostile launguage or threats of any kind until you try everything else first. In my experience, religious types seem to cry "racism and intolerance!" as soon as they can.

I would talk to ALL of your close neighbors. Make shure you have some backing. Call your local court house and simply ask about sound/noise ordinances.

I would simply say something like "Id like to have a speaker at my house broadcast a certain noise at certain times of day everyday. What laws would affect me?"

Comment

I hate to say it but catholics can basically get away with anything. Im sure they relized how loud their speakers are but dont care about it. Chatting with a decon or maybe even a member of the church might shed some light into what you can do. Legal action against the church wont get you far, they have ways of getting around crap like that. Now if you had a son who was touched in his bathing suit area by these speakers we might be able to help, but i doubt it.

Good luck.
                      that sounds like a good idea trooper.
                      -Vulcan

Comment

Originally posted by freekyE View Post
                        I wold avoid any sort of hostile launguage or threats of any kind until you try everything else first. In my experience, religious types seem to cry "racism and intolerance!" as soon as they can.

I would talk to ALL of your close neighbors. Make shure you have some backing. Call your local court house and simply ask about sound/noise ordinances.

I would simply say something like "Id like to have a speaker at my house broadcast a certain noise at certain times of day everyday. What laws would affect me?"
                        I second freekys advice.

Originally posted by MoreGooder
                        The congregation didn't ask ANYONE in the neighborhood if the bells would be acceptable, what time they could ring, how they would sound, or how loud they could be. "We're under the allowed decible level". Measured by whom? The people that sold you the stupid synthesized bells?
                        Bear in mind that there will probably only be a handful of people who are responsible for the bells (not the whole congregation).

Comment

I've spoken with the neighbors already. One that lives two doors down thinks "they're great because it makes me think I'm in Europe". Two doors down on the other side of me actually attends the church and donated money. Otehr than those two morons, the rest of the neighbors are in unanimous agreement. The early morning bells have to go.

Three of us have plans to go down to the local police department tomorrow afternoon (1/4 mile away) and lodge formal noise complaints against the church.

IT'S ON!!!

Comment

I also second Freaky and Trooper's advice. I'm sorry to say that this is America and the country is a true Christian country of religious freedom. Going against the church legally will get you mired in so much crap I shudder to think of the consequences. If it was a Buddist Temple or Muslim Mosque you might be able to get away with it, but Churches are pretty much excempt because few people want to make a ruling against a church.

And I use the word 'Christian' to refer to any religion of Christ that uses a Church and Cross.

I'd make a guess that the reason they ring the bells is because it is to signify the start of morning and evening mass. They ring it more during the weekends because there are more services than during the weekdays. If that is the case then the church can claim the ringing of the bells is a part of their service and thus a religious practice they can rightly claim under the Constitution. As such any attempt to get them to lower it or stop can be interpreted by a lawyer (I've yet to hear of a lawyer not in a church willing to 'donate' their services to their pastor at need) as an attempt to stop religious freedom and will never fly beyond that.

Talking to the neighbors is also a somewhat risky venture because there are good odds (considering the proximity of the church) that some of them will be members of the congregation and will be less than understanding of your position. Its their religion and their services so they'll do whatever they want.

Of course that's the worst case senario summing up every encounter and altercation I've had with a religious nut over some point or other. The best thing I can think of is to try and reach a compromise with the Father over lowering the noise during the morning. With luck you'll get used to it as your sleepless days continue and you'll be able to ignore the bells.
                            My sanity is not in question...
                            It was a confirmed casualty some time ago.

Light, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they ticked me off.

Comment

By the way, the bells ringing at random (seemingly) time sounds a lot like the start of mass to me. For as long as I could remember, the Catholic Church I grew up in had the most random mass times like the ones above. Some Catholics still attend mass everyday to receive the Eucharist while others only attend on the weekends (hence the increase in bell ringing on the weekend.)

With that bit aside, take a walk over to the rectory and talk to the priests there. If they at all practice what they preach, they'll turn the speakers down some, especially on the weekends.
                              --------

Zephyr: Besides Wyzcrak and his godly voice; the kind of voice that you will expect to say "Zephyr, I need you to build an ark at Marine Start, with room for two of every structure so that I may turret spam for 40 days and 40 nights" that is.

Squeak:Sometimes I'm awed by zibs genius. Then I remember he's Canadian and I feel significantly less threatened.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X