We beat the government!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We beat the government!

Actually out lawyer did but it is still good.

The short story is that my wife was kinda in legal limbo. She had a work visa and that was it. Our first lawyer, we thought, had screwed us royally. Nobody at CIS could tell us her status. We had submitted fingerprints twice, and paid for them twice. Had submitted about a dozen different forms and they still had her last name incorrect. Her temporary visa did not match her driver license so she could not travel. She was basically trapped in her current job and had missed more than a couple opportunities on much better jobs.

Luckily through her current job she met a very promenade lawyer that wanted to take the case and all we had to pay was the government fees. This saved us at least 8,000 dollars. Probably more like $15,000.

What was the problem? NIS and the FBI was not communicating at all. Sound familiar? Neither knew what the other was doing. So the lawyer sued both of them and basically claimed both where incompetent and not performing their duties as defined by law.

And the judge agreed. So now my wife has permanent legal status and she can now apply for citizenship!

Come to find out this is not an uncommon situation. Many people are simply lost in the system. He made it sound like this is a somewhat precedence setting case, which was why he took it pro bono. My wife was the perfect case to start off with. No violations of any laws, married to an ex-military person yada yada. And it sounds like there was some shenanigans going on as well.

I don't know if any of that is true. Maybe the lawyer is just bragging. But now I don't have to worry about all the crap with Oki-Homy anti-immigration laws.

Speaking of the laws recently passed in Oklahoma. I went home recently and some people that used to complain loud and hard about all the illegals are now a bit worried. The places that hired them are now probably going to move to someplace else. That part of Oklahoma don't have much else going for it. And even the oil and gas companies are not sure where they are going to find workers. They already offer very good pay and benefits but nobody wants to work in the boon docks.

What I did hear is that there is a few people that are still very happy. They are eying the properties that the illegals bought and fixed up. Since many of the illegals are very handy with the contruction some of those properties are much improved. It seems that once they are kicked out of the statte there are some legal loop holes that will allow them to buy this property for almost nothing. Probably property taxes not being paid or something. There is actually quite a bit of land owned by the illegals.

Interesting.
    Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
    - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
    - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
    - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
    - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
    - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
    - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Re: We beat the government!

Glad to hear that you got a good lawyer to actually make CIS do their job!
    Become a supporting member!
    Buy a Tactical Duck!
    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
    TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Awesome, El!
      ~~ Veritas simplex oratio est ~~
      No matter how far a wizard goes, he will always come back for his hat. --T. Pratchett

<---- You know you're getting old when you rely on your forum meta-data to remind you how old you are.

Comment

Nice El! :) That got me thinking I should refer a friend of mines to a lawyer since his paperwork got lost in the "shuffle" about three times already over the last few years. He's almost given up on the hope of becoming a U.S. citizen.
        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
        TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
        Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
        Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
          Nice El! :) That got me thinking I should refer a friend of mines to a lawyer since his paperwork got lost in the "shuffle" about three times already over the last few years. He's almost given up on the hope of becoming a U.S. citizen.
          I just talked a guy out of going back to his lawyer. He went down to the CIS office himself, and now, 5 weeks later, he's a US Citizen.
          Buy a Tactical Duck!
          Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."

Comment

Oiy that's great news! :D

I will tell my friend when he returns from Greece.
            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
            TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
            Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
            Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

The key to interacting with CIS is to remember that it's a bureaucracy. Persistence pays off when dealing with gov't employees...
              Buy a Tactical Duck!

Comment

First I want to say thanks to everyone that showed their support.

Originally posted by CingularDuality View Post
                The key to interacting with CIS is to remember that it's a bureaucracy. Persistence pays off when dealing with gov't employees...
                This is true. They are basically mindless machines. So you have to be a mindless machine. Don't get rude or threatening. Just keep asking and asking and submitting and submitting. Eventually they will take care of it.

As long as nothing is majorly screwed up (as in my wifes case), it does eventually get done. You just have to annoy them so much it is easier for them to do their jobs than it is to deal with you.

The hardest part is knowing exactly what needs to be done and who you contact to get it done. Rules are changing pretty relatively quick and responsibilities shifting all the time.
                Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
                - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
                - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
                - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
                - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
                - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
                - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Glad to hear the good news man ;)

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse