Now this is the American dream.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Now this is the American dream.

A high end lawer in Washington D.C took his not-so-fancy pants to a dry cleaner. These dry cleaners (a lower-middle class korean family) loses these pants and give the man a 1200$ compensation for them. Is that enough, no, he sues the family for loseing his "favorite" pair of pants, charging them for transportation of himself to the dry cleaner, and putting him thru emotional turmoil and mental suffering. The bill for all of this and more, over 54 MILLION DOLLARS. If that isn't bull$^&* I don't know what is.

Google "pants law suit" in google for more info.
    |TG-6th|SirNerd

My Resume includes Pirate, Mercenary, and a Devil Dog, what else do you want.

Pain is Inevitable, Suffering is Optional.

When you can't run anymore, you crawl and when you can't do that, you find someone to carry you.

Re: Now this is the American dream.

I don't mind as long as the IRS comes a-knocking for taxes on his award in-full, and then the portion of the award he's paying himself for his representation, and then that lawyering fee taxed as income again. After that, he'll have about $1200 of the $54M remaining.

Comment

Welcome to America! :)

()

Comment

Actually this case is costing tax payers around 1500$
        |TG-6th|SirNerd

When you can't run anymore, you crawl and when you can't do that, you find someone to carry you.

Comment

Originally posted by Sir-Nerd View Post
          Actually this case is costing tax payers around 1500$
          OK, yes it costs us money, but if this case did not go to court, another case would have and there would have been no money saved.

If your point is that if all frivolous lawsuits were not taken to court our tax dollars would just go somewhere else in the system, we would not see any of it.
          Big-eye101: "A true catman post a day keeps the bad mood away"

Please do not take any posts made by Catman seriously. If you begin to take his posts seriously, please seek psychiatric attention.

Comment

I would likke to see it go to schools
            |TG-6th|SirNerd

Comment

I can't argue with that :)
              Big-eye101: "A true catman post a day keeps the bad mood away"

Please do not take any posts made by Catman seriously. If you begin to take his posts seriously, please seek psychiatric attention.

Comment

I was hoping someone wouldn't start a thread on this story, which in my mind rivals Paris Hilton's activites for a story not worthy of coverage, let alone time.

Comment

I'm pretty sure this was covered in this forum a while ago. I almost gave -rep to the most recent poster for an unwanted bump.
                  The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. ~
                  I have a tendency to key out three or four things and then let them battle for supremacy while I key, so there's a lot of backspacing as potential statements are slaughtered and eaten by the victors. ~
                  Feel free to quote me. ~

Comment

I think the story is noteworthy in that the judge should have thrown it out of court as the store owners were more than willing to compensate the judge for his lost pants even after they returned them to him. Now, I know he argued they weren't his pants but if he lost the pants and couldn't wear the suit, he was out $1100 and they offered to pay him $12000 so he was very well compensated.

Comment

Originally posted by deathknight View Post
                      I think the story is noteworthy in that the judge should have thrown it out of court as the store owners were more than willing to compensate the judge for his lost pants even after they returned them to him. Now, I know he argued they weren't his pants but if he lost the pants and couldn't wear the suit, he was out $1100 and they offered to pay him $12000 so he was very well compensated.
                      Just to be fair to the article, it was $1200, not $12,000. Still appropriately compensated but much closer to the Fair Market Value.

Lucky Shot

Comment

My bad then I thought it said $12000.

Comment

This story was on NBC news here in Chicago about 2 months ago.

Apparently, the uppie-lawyer is sewing for some 10 million dollars. He calculated it by taking the price of his pants x 2 years x what-his-lawyer-charges-per-hour.

The lower middle class owners tried to settle for, I believe, $400,000, but he refused the settlement and decided to be a prick. God knows, I hate the guy already. Can't wait until bad karma picks on him.
                          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                          TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                          Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                          Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Bah, the law system is now less about the difference between right and wrong and more about the technical words of the law.

Comment

I really wish, from the bottom of my heart, that we could put judges in place who would punish people for frivolous law suits such as this one. The suits are a waste of time and money, often with undue money being awarded to chumps who dont deserve it and taken from people who truly work hard. I think cases like this oughtta be tossed out of court and the judge calling for the plaintiff to pay the legal fees of the defendant and make financial restitution to the court for wasted time on everyone's part.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X