Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Anti-Pot Commercials

http://www.slate.com/id/2168471/?GT=10135

That is a link to some new Above The Influence advertisements. The old ones were so lame and tried scaring teens into not doing pot because they would blow up or some tragic event would happen. They finally got their act together and showed the more realistic image of what pot is. Nothing too dramatic at all, just the truth from my own personal experiences.

One of my best friends has recently become a big pot-head. I'm not offended by it and he can do what he wants, but I HATE it when he invites me to come and hang out and he ends up just on his couch, staring into space, while I end up having a conversation with myself. His wife absolutely hates it too. When they're on a "date", she might as well be by herself. He can do what he wants on his own time, but we (the non-smoking ones) hate it when he does it on OUR time. He refuses to not smoke when I'm around, so I stopped hanging out with him so much. I told him last time after about 2 hours of doing nothing, "I have better and more important things to do than watch you get high." So his wife and I took off, and he just didn't care at all.

I'm not trying to stir up a debate about pot. It's just that these ads really spoke to me in a way that seems pretty realistic...and a bit sad (from my perspective).
    "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Re: Best Anti-Pot Commercials

Originally posted by War.mongeR1 View Post
    So his wife and I took off, and he just didn't care at all.
    Is she hot? :icon26:
    Become a supporting member!
    Buy a Tactical Duck!
    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
    TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

I'm not trying to stir up a debate about pot. It's just that these ads really spoke to me in a way that seems pretty realistic...and a bit sad (from my perspective).
      Politics aside, they are getting better at the anti-pot commercials. There is truth to some (such as the g/f leaving her b/f cause he's high all the time). It's better to take a more realistic\sensible approach for anti-pot efforts than fear mongering. These new government financed ads really get to the core of me :P.
      Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
      Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Comment

Yeah, lets try to leave politics out of this thread. We already tried the politcal angle once and we all wound up pissed off.

On topic though, there is some truth to the commercials. The one with the kid on the couch who shows you how its safer for him to be smoking pot in his friend's basement than be out in the world doing "potentially" dangerous things is pretty good. But pot, like any other substance on earth, evokes different reactions from different people. I went to a high school full of potheads and a college full of potheads (I believe we have some Univ. of Colorado guys around here who can attest to that) and I know a lot of them. I've seen potheads who sit around and do nothing. I've seen potheads who are so spastic that you just want to get them into a nice straight jacket. I've seen potheads who act completely normal when theyre stoned. Potheads are like drunks, theres one that fits every category, so you cant really lump all of them into one group.

I do like the new approach to it though. Realism beats pushing fear any day, especially since most of the fear-related ads of old have been debunked as being full of horse-hockey (i.e. the fact that pot does not turn you into a raging psychopath). However, the ones I CANT stand are the stupid TRUTH commercials (anti-cigarettes, but still on the same line). Especially the ones with the guy with the huge black-rimmed glasses. He annoys the hell out of me.

Comment

The truth ads are hilariously terrible. But really, any anti smoking ad is not going to persuade a single person not to do it. Its really quite silly to think it would. Since marijuana is not addictive, people do it because they like it and dont think it harms them. Having some guy they dont know tell them to stop through a TV screen will not change his first hand experience with the stuff.

As for potheads themselfs, the only bad ones are the ones with zero self control. Those that smoke it all the damn time every day are generally lifeless and apathetic. Nobody likes someone like that. But that is a really silly generalization, and id say only about 10% of the potheads i know are like this. For the casual pot smoker, its just a great way to relax and chill with friends. Sure, you might be sitting around talking and doing nothing, but doing that from time to time is not bad or harmful. Its merely a form of relaxation.

This is a bad analogy, but casual pot smoking is kind of like going to a sauna. Its a great way to relax, but if you stay in it too long it becomes harmful. This leads me to my last point. The place where pot smoking ads are going wrong isnt in how unrealistic the situations are. The place where they go wrong is how they have a stance of "Stop smoking now!". Instead, they should encourage safe, responsible use. Dont stay in the sauna too long! And really, they should start this line of thinking way back when you are a kid taking DARE because thats when you are impressionable. However, and its a shame, our society is too ignorant to accept marijuana as not so harmful when used responsibly. Instead, we have people that dont understand the importance of self control because they are never taught it.

Comment

I'm wondering how people with half a brain are reacting to the newer commercials, which I agree are better at showing the effects of pot (mostly lethargy for the majority of people). My reaction is "Why the hell is money being spent to show people that it isn't harmful, but still trying to convince people it is wrong?" If it's safer than doing other things, why is it so bad? I just hope that enough young people catch on and realize making mood effecting substances illegal just stigmatizes the people who have problems with it instead of making treatment accessible. We all know people will get their hands on it anyway.

They should do a pot commercial where the guy on the couch decides not to go for a ride because he's stoned, while the other kid who's bored around the stoner goes out drinking and drunk driving because it's exciting and all the cool kids drink.
            |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

My rule of thumb with any propaganda about a mind-altering substance is to substitute beer for the item being stigmatized. (For video games, I substitute football or community soccer or bowling.) If you showed the same commercial with beer substituted, and did it right next to the beer commercial that's paying for the program, how ridiculous would it look?
              Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

This is reads like a transcript of a meeting of first time attendees to Narcotics Anonymous...

Comment

First time attendees? So that's before the whole "cult initiation" part, right?
                  A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

"$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

Comment

I thought the add featuring a carload of stoners at a drive through running over the girl on the bike was really effective. they show that it is 1 time out of many that something bad can happen. I don't think it was much of an anti pot add as much as a don't get high and drive add.

“Up, sluggard, and waste not life; in the grave will be sleeping enough!” Benjamin Franklin

Comment

I despise them all. It's just a daily reminder about how worthless the War on Drugs really is. Why not spend that advertisement money to feed the homeless or run a rehab clinic?

Kids know getting wasted is harmful to them, they just don't care. And anyone who cannot make the mental leap between "narcotics = consequences" isn't going to suddenly gain that knowledge through some stupid commercial. Meanwhile, the whole thing boils down to: "Don't get high, that's for losers. Go buy some alcohol instead."

Oh and, you don't need pot to be a boring idiot who sits on their couch all day and doesn't know a thing about entertaining guests. It just makes it easier.

Being a stoner already has it's negative connotations in grade school anyways. Rarely do you see a hard-core pot-head walking at the front of the "cool kids." Of all the popular kids I knew in high school, few of them smoked pot as more than a passing fad. Most of them would rather just grab a keg and get hammered. Once again, the message seems to be: "pot = bad. Alcohol = cool."

Now, it's not like the commercials are coming right out and saying this, but most "anti-alcohol" commercials tend to be centered around adults and driving, but the act in of itself is ok.

What is worrisome is that pot-heads tend to congregate using their "addiction" as the reason they hang out together. Granted, most of them just sit around being boring, so I suppose that's better than them hanging out because they all believe in Communism, or something.

Anyways, I'm ranting. Let me sum up: Pot doesn't make you boring. And further, if our kids are doing drugs, wouldn't you rather them sitting around doing nothing instead of "getting loaded" and starting fights or out driving?

Comment

Originally posted by TheFeniX View Post
                        Being a stoner already has it's negative connotations in grade school anyways. Rarely do you see a hard-core pot-head walking at the front of the "cool kids." Of all the popular kids I knew in high school, few of them smoked pot as more than a passing fad. Most of them would rather just grab a keg and get hammered. Once again, the message seems to be: "pot = bad. Alcohol = cool."
                        Hell, you should have gone to my high school. 99.9% rich kids. I literally had the crappiest car in the parking lot, driving a 91 civic hatchback. Anyway, at my high school, everyones parents let them drink, so that was of no consequence. It was all about who had the most or the best drugs. Whether that was acid, pot, cocaine, mushrooms, speed, xanax, painkillers, whatever. The only thing people really steered away from was crack and heroin. But I kid you not when I say that some of the most popular kids in school were the biggest potheads.

Oh, and ironically enough, the name of the school is Plant High School. No, i'm not kidding.

Comment

I liked the one during the superbowl that said you could get pregnant smoking pot.

I thought that was beer?

Maybe I was just confused by all of the beer ads that surrounded this commercial...

Comment

I just think Americans are getting immune to the whole scare tactics crap. I can watch TV and see the stop smoking ads, how much effect do they really have? The tobacco companies sponsor them, but they also realize it will have no effect on their customers that will continue to buy cigarettes.

I know this goes off track a bit, but let’s get this over with and either ban a much more dangerous drug in alcohol or legalize marijuana and tax it. Imagine the revenue from that? If were to regulate the sale of it, you could control every aspect of it and stop needless violence by drug dealers. I do not advocate any other drug fall into he same realm, but just this one.

BTW, if they really wanted to scare people about the effects of marijuana, show somebody trashing a house looking for a box of Capt’N Crunch.
                            "The chief foundations of all states, new as well as old or composite, are good laws and good arms; and as there cannot be good laws where the state is not well armed, it follows that where they are well armed they have good laws." -Machiavelli

Comment

i think the most successful ads are the ones aimed at people thinking of starting, or that are just experimenting, or are close to hitting a bottom and just need a little push to seek help. for the average smoker, the adds are a joke.

“Up, sluggard, and waste not life; in the grave will be sleeping enough!” Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X