Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are we all mentally ill?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070621/...game_addiction

I think some “experts” confuse gaming with depression. I’m curious to read some comments from the TG community.

Burning spies is cool.

Re: Are we all mentally ill?

Replace "Video Game" with "Television" and this becomes even more laughably absurd. Video Games aren't special, but yes they can be addicting. As addicting as any entertainment can be.

I've seen kids devote all their free-time to football, even eschewing academics in favor of that practice. Why is this form of addiction viewed as a boon, rather than a crippling addiction? I'm not talking about a kid who plays football at school and that's it. I'm talking about kids who, if they aren't playing or throwing a football around, they're talking about football stats or their last game.

Further, not all games are about straight competition. I came to TGNS because of the camaraderie. Hell, I had to quit Deathmatch on UT because I swear I was going to have a heart attack if I kept it up. Every game was a non-stop battle for first place, and I frequented some pretty tough servers. I came out on top more than a few times, but just thinking about those matches literally gets my heart rate up.

The thing is, I new when enough was enough. Some people just don't have that ability. Drugs like Heroine, alcohol, and caffeine are harder habits to break because they have a physically addictive element. Games don't have that element.

So what we're left with are people who just can't say no. Those people have a problem with addiction no matter what the stimulus.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFeniX View Post
      Replace "Video Game" with "Television" and this becomes even more laughably absurd. Video Games aren't special, but yes they can be addicting. As addicting as any entertainment can be.
      So what we're left with are people who just can't say no. Those people have a problem with addiction no matter what the stimulus.
      Several practitioners quoted later in the article say the same thing.

This sounds like lawyers smelling blood in the water, and looking for a new source of lawsuits to pursue.

The article claims the desire is to get insurance coverage for treatment. But can't one already get that for other kinds of addictive behavior? Why would video games be any different?
      Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Addiction is one of the most used and abused word in the media right now. The media is addicted to addiction.

If I never hear the word addiction again, I'll die a happy man.
        A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

"$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

Comment

The funny thing is that you can replace "video games" with anything from football to beer and it's just as laughable. Theoretically, these experts could tie wiping your nose every day to being depressed. Any kind of repetitive activity that doesnt demonstrate positive social networking is supposedly a sign of depression these days. I believe firmly that it's just a manifestation of the fear of the cohort age group that's being pushed out in favor of the younger, more technologically-centric age group that fully embraces computers and technology as nothing more than everyday items as opposed to some kind of miracle machines that werent around when they were young.

Comment

The people who put forth these theories are addicted to putting out false theories of addiction in adolescents.

I actually believe this and any other study based on adolescent behavior to be missing the critical point - the adolescent mind is often 'mentally ill.' As many posts before this have pointed out, you could almost substitute anything - diet soda, sugars, television, the opposite sex, drugs/alcohol, guns, music - mix it with a teenage kid and you're often going to come up with something awful. Mix it with 100 adults and you'll find 7 that abuse it. Big deal.

Some people find video games entertaining and engaging. Just like anything, some take it too far - and just like anything, it's not the 'thing,' it's the person.

Comment

In other news today:

Swedish Employment Service recently declared 42 year old dish washer Robert Tallgrin (sp) as disabled due to an obsession with heavy metal and the rock and roll band "Black Sabboth". The agency has agreed to pay part of his salary as disability pay and has given him special permission to play Black Sabboth at the work place.

Heard about it first on G4Tv's "The Feed" and this just made me think about it. Oddly enough, aside from a Feed clip I had to download, there is no written material on it.
              My sanity is not in question...
              It was a confirmed casualty some time ago.

Light, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they ticked me off.

Comment

I think they are missing the point. Before video games when kids would hang out at the mall or whatever, were they addicted to the mall? No they just went to hang out with their friends and do something.

Well since we have lost alot of the community aspect that was prevalent in the 50s and 60s, and video games allow interaction via voice chat, text chat, etc kids replace those activities with video games. Video games are stimulating to the mind and allow immersion to a greater degree than most other activities. The only other activities that I can think of that allow the kind of immersion are reading and table-top gaming. But of course, those don't allow the level of control and immersion that video games offer. I find it completely understandable that kids would forgo alot of other activities such as playing war, tag, etc to play a video game where they have so much more control and immersion.

I think the problem is that parents don't force their kids to do other things because parents can't be tuff on kids and so they just let them do what they want. And of course, it becomes problematic on a societal level and then these hack doctors and researches come up with patinas that only suppress the problem to a limited degree rather than solve it. If your kid isn't interacting face to face with others, talk to him and find out what is wrong. Don't ship him off to a psychiatrist and have him medicated because he likes playing WOW.

Comment

I bet that more than half of the people who call modern gamers "addicts" use to play Pac-Man and Mario Bros. constantly, and now are jealous because they can't still be "hip." My mom is exactly how deathknight described it, she doesn't force me to do other stuff, and she says im addicted. But in all actuality, there's kids who play WAY more than probably any of us.

Comment

My mom used to say the same thing to me back around the millenium with the early betas of counter-strike. I easily defeated her argument by suggesting something responsible and legal that an eighteen year old lad like myself (at the time) might be out doing at 11:30 at night, to which she had no answer. I then suggested to her that gaming was a safe alternative to drinking and drugs and she told me "well, maybe you're not addicted, but you still play computer games too much".
                    Yet with all the gaming I do, I still manage to go through my doctorate program and work 40 hours a week. Oh well.

Comment

Yeah blah, I'm tired of these retarded people. It's the same as a old man who fishes 24/7.

Comment

Originally posted by UnDeaD77 View Post
                        Yeah blah, I'm tired of these retarded people. It's the same as a old man who fishes 24/7.
                        Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day.
                        Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
                        Have the man fish all day and claim its an obsession and have the government pay his way for a lifetime as well?
                        My sanity is not in question...
                        It was a confirmed casualty some time ago.

Light, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they ticked me off.

Comment

Originally posted by Tarenth View Post
                          Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day.
                          Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
                          Have the man fish all day and claim its an obsession and have the government pay his way for a lifetime as well?
                          Sounds good enough to me.

Comment

I work security part time at a theater in a mall and I often see kids playing various games in the arcade. When I see a 6 or 7 year old kid playing some of these games with shotguns and handguns shooting the virtual people on the screen it makes me cringe.

No wonder cops are finding kids, far from adulthood, walking around with guns in their neighborhood. They think its OK, that it's normal practice to use that weapon if they don't like something or someone for that matter. I believe those types of games are far too intense for kids under about 16 and even some 16 and 17 year olds probably don't have all the sense to know you can't apply any of that stuff to real life in the way some try to.

I love video games but I think many of the type of games we play are definitely intended for our, mostly older and mature audience. I do not think it's healthy at all for young kids to be growing up on these games.

()

Comment

The only problem with guns in games played by youngsters is that the games don't accurately reflect the true cost and consequences of misusing them. Kids have good enough judgment, if you provide them with accurate information in the first place.
                              Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X