Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Article Published about Tactical Gamer

Published in the online journal INTERN:

'Virtual Video Ethnography: Towards a New Field of Internet Cultural Studies.'
    Michael Strangelove,
    University of Ottawa

Abstract:

"With the recent development of virtual worlds, human action within cyberspace is rapidly expanding into new media forms such as online interactive gaming. As Internet users created virtual communities anthropologists followed along into these new frontiers and thus the field of virtual ethnography was born in the late 1980s. This paper introduces a new technique for exploring Internet culture – virtual video ethnography – the recording of human interaction from within virtual realms such as online war games, fantasy roleplaying games, and virtual social networking games. Virtual video ethnography is used to capture an apparently violent incident within a popular warfare simulation game known as Battlefield 2. This footage is then used to explore violence and hegemonic meanings within video games and demonstrate the utility of virtual video ethnography for cultural analysis. It is argued that action within the virtual realm cannot be collapsed into the same category as action within the ‘real’ world."
    sigpic

Re: Article Published about Tactical Gamer

Am I just using an obsolete program to read PDF files, or did you actually use bulletin board style [url=] and [/url] tags in that, which didn't function correctly in PDF format?

Comment

I had no issues with the links in PDF.

Now for the article:

Originally posted by E-Male View Post

Yet the gamers themselves are clearly capable of maintaining
      their critical capacities, and many do indeed reject the current war on terror and find reallife
      violence odious.

Thanks for taking the time to recognize that we are not some mindless horde of people that are oblivious to their surroundings. With a community that has adult gamers, we are capable of distinguishing between reality and a cyber life. We do know that this (online gaming) is not some conspiracy to create some militant state, based on the gaming biases you mentioned.

Overall it was a great read. You did however mention in your conclusion that there may tendencies “then analysis risks being reduced to an exercise in self-validation and uncritical celebration”, as you so put. Is that the case? What is the motivation for the article? Not that it is a bad thing, but did the community slant your perspective prior to this paper or the idea for the paper being written?

Nice work!!
      "The chief foundations of all states, new as well as old or composite, are good laws and good arms; and as there cannot be good laws where the state is not well armed, it follows that where they are well armed they have good laws." -Machiavelli

Comment

Good read. I hope it gets some recognition amongst "experts" who are the ones telling the media how bad video games are. You just earned some street cred here with me.
        "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

Err, Intern is a Brazillian site? I think I read Spanish in the nav links.

Hmm interesting. Hopefully one day, the media will quote you instead of their so-called experts on the video games industry.
          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
          TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
          Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
          Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

That site is called Interin, not Intern.
            Become a supporting member!
            Buy a Tactical Duck!
            Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
            TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Bravo Emale...nice piece. Its nice to see all the ideas you've been floating about tied into a single piece.

Will this work be part of your new book?
              sigpic
              |TG-1st|Grunt
              ARMA Admin (retired)
              Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Originally posted by Grunt 70 View Post
                Will this work be part of your new book?

The book I am finish up now (for University of Toronto Press) looks at the American online political conversation via examining how Americans mutually exchange accusations of anti-American(ism) in online fora.

Always thinking ahead to the next book, I would like to pursue the subject of virtual culture via a broad survey of online social contexts, such as first person shooters and role playing games.

Here is a tidbit from the current manuscript: "Wilfred McClay’s suggestion (following on Henry Adams) that ‘politics is the systematic organization of hatreds’ is fully supported by the current state of America’s online political conversation. The Internet has allowed Americans to neatly oganize their binary hatreds into ideologically-aligned groups and left versus right gatherings."

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by E-Male
                  Yet the gamers themselves are clearly capable of maintaining their critical capacities, and many do indeed reject the current war on terror and find reallife violence odious.
                  Jack Thompson already hates you. E-Male ftw!
                  The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. ~
                  I have a tendency to key out three or four things and then let them battle for supremacy while I key, so there's a lot of backspacing as potential statements are slaughtered and eaten by the victors. ~
                  Feel free to quote me. ~

Comment

Congratulations on the publication, Emale. I know that in your field, each published work means more potential dollars, or at least reputation. Perhaps most interestingly, most of your readers are not gamers.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X