X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drizzid
    started a topic WWE is disgusting

WWE is disgusting

After reading this article in response to the Chris Benoit tragedy the WWE needs to shut it's doors. I haven't watched wrestling since I was in like eighth grade but looking at that list of wrestlers that have died and at such a young age maybe congress should look into WWE and this steroid problem instead of baseball.

• TheFeniX
    replied
    Re: WWE is disgusting

Originally posted by Greflin View Post
    No sport is better than the next for being clean. The only truly clean sport you may find would be Toddler soccer or T-ball. Face it, pro sports and pro wrestling are more the same than anyone wants to admit. And as long as juice makes it more entertaining you will have it in sports, it puts butts in the seats and money in their pockets.
    Not even. There have been extreme cases of unethical behavior in pee-wee and grade-school sports. District lines being redrawn to pull a larger player base, kids having fake birth certificates to make them appear younger, and even intimidation. I remember a case a few years back here in Houston about a father making harassing phone calls to a rival team's player in an effort to get him to throw the game. Yes, I'm talking about a grown man (30+ years old, at least) making threatening phone calls to a kid around the age of 10. I think it was baseball, but I'm not 100% sure.

There's just something about sports that makes people stupid. But even beyond that, people just don't like to lose. The entire competitive scene seems to be based around "No points for second place." We push these people to win at any cost. And as I've said before, we actually applaud the players who go out and play with an injury.

I remember having a small sense of pride that Rich Franklin kept his UFC fight with David Louaso (SP) going even after breaking his wrist during the first round (he went on to beat David into submission and win the fight). Now, that was his choice to make (it was his title that was up for grabs). But had he permanently damaged his wrist, I wouldn't have had any sympathy for him.

Leave a comment:

• Greflin
    replied

Originally posted by deathknight View Post
    My take on this is that WWE is unlike most other sports such as football, baseball, etc. It isn't a sport as it is choreographed so it is titled entertainment though the men who do it are as tough and as talented as anyone in any sport. But you don't have the NFL or MLB supplying drugs to their stars. Nor can they threaten someone without pay if they don't play despite a serious injury. When you have guys on painkillers and steroids and god knows what else it is a disaster and I know they have a choice but nobody makes the right choice all the time and I think Benoit as well as his family deserves sympathy and outrage at how Vince McMahon is manipulating the situation to make it look like it is all Chris Benoit's fault. But I'm not trying to preach if you disagree then I respect your opinion.
    You are blind if you don't even think that a fair bit of the NFL and MLB is juiced with team knowledge. Just because it isn't documented in any reports by the team does not mean they are unaware. The giants had to of seen Barry Bonds blow up like a pool toy and know what was happening. And there are many players on the field every Sunday who are hopped up on cortisone so they can actually move around. Neither league has firm testing, neither test for HGH like they should. It is in every sport, period.

Also, contracts in the NFL are not garenteed, if you get hurt the team can cut you. A lot of players play hurt for fear of being cut and not getting paid, it's the same thing. Not a huge baseball fan so I can not comment on the baseball contracts and how garenteed they are, but any football player can be cut and not get paid at any time.

Benoit had a lot of issues, the roids, pain meds, and anti depressants didn't help the issue, but they sure as heck didn't cause it. Quite a few football players are manic before a game and depressed during the week/off season. They do stupid things, just because they haven't had one kill his wife and son, doesn't mean it hasn't nearly happened or will not happen in the future.

No sport is better than the next for being clean. The only truly clean sport you may find would be Toddler soccer or T-ball. Face it, pro sports and pro wrestling are more the same than anyone wants to admit. And as long as juice makes it more entertaining you will have it in sports, it puts butts in the seats and money in their pockets.

Leave a comment:

• Dimmu
    replied

Eh, WWE is just a small branch in the wrestling community. Once the WWE is disbanded (that is if it ever is by congress/any force), then the media will look away from the community. There will still be other wrestling branches shown on tv, and people will still bleed and maybe die from it. Just because of this incdent outside of the wrestling world happened, doesnt mean that the wrestling communtiy should be attacked.

Leave a comment:

• Switch
    replied

I don't know the details, but I don't think an extremely small group of individuals who are all exorbitantly wealthy due to careers as athletes should be pulling time out of congresses short day because their jobs are so tough it has driven them to drugs...

It is an issue that the law should deal with, as it puts honest players at a disadvantage against dishonest lawbreaking players in a career (its not a pick up game), but I don't see why congress needs to bother with it. There are lower levels of law that should suffice.

Leave a comment:

• deathknight
    replied

My take on this is that WWE is unlike most other sports such as football, baseball, etc. It isn't a sport as it is choreographed so it is titled entertainment though the men who do it are as tough and as talented as anyone in any sport. But you don't have the NFL or MLB supplying drugs to their stars. Nor can they threaten someone without pay if they don't play despite a serious injury. When you have guys on painkillers and steroids and god knows what else it is a disaster and I know they have a choice but nobody makes the right choice all the time and I think Benoit as well as his family deserves sympathy and outrage at how Vince McMahon is manipulating the situation to make it look like it is all Chris Benoit's fault. But I'm not trying to preach if you disagree then I respect your opinion.

Leave a comment:

• Switch
    replied

I know sarcasm is sometimes hard to see in writing, but I did follow that up with congress taking on aim bot hax...

Leave a comment:

• ednos
    replied

Originally posted by Switch View Post
    Congress really has nothing better to do.
    I can think of plenty of things that they should be doing but never will. Let's start with the FCC...

Leave a comment:

• Switch
    replied

Congress really has nothing better to do. When they're done investigating steroids in professional sports, maybe we can get them to investigate aimbot cheaters. Its about as threatening to our national stability, economy, and security.

Leave a comment:

• CingularDuality
    replied

Did you guys need this latest controversy to decide that the WWF is disgusting? That's sad...

Leave a comment:

• TheFeniX
    replied

Originally posted by MasterEditorInChief View Post
    I understand your anger though. Steroids are dangerous substances and the only way to get rid of them is to regulate. Keep in mind though: the problem will always be there.
    Steroids are already a "controlled substance."

Hmmm, I was digging around and found this interesting read. I have no idea about it's veracity though.

Really thought, what this all boils down to is that celebrities make horrible role-models (though, admittedly, not all the time at their own fault). To clarify, I don't expect a celebrity or sports star to be a paragon of virtue. I wouldn't, say, blame Paris Hilton for her affect on people who keep up with her (mis)adventures.

Leave a comment:

• Drizzid
    replied

Let's not forget the cases of Elvis Presley, Marilyn Monroe, Jimi Hendrix... the list goes on and on. What I'm getting at is that you can't blame the industry for one person's misfortune.
    The difference between the example you provide and the Chris Benoit is that a mother and her child wasn't killed. Their misfortune was also from steroids and other drugs. If drugs and steroids only hurt the users then I wouldn't have as much of a problem with it but when innocent people are killed then it has gone way to far.

Leave a comment:

• MasterEditorInChief
    replied

As a former wrestling fan, I found it rather disturbing when I found out about the Chris Benoit case. However, I must say that the problems that plague the WWF (I still call it that) are prevalent in other industries. Like Drizzid said, steroids are an issue in the MLB, NFL and other professional sports organizations. The tragedy doesn't stop there though.

While it isn't steroids, drugs in general are found all over the entertainment industry. Keith Richards publicly said (then retracted) that he inhaled his father ashes with cocaine. There are several photos of Paris Hilton smoking weed, even though she denied it on Larry King. Countless celebrities are caught every year carrying/under drugs. Let's not forget the cases of Elvis Presley, Marilyn Monroe, Jimi Hendrix... the list goes on and on. What I'm getting at is that you can't blame the industry for one person's misfortune.

I understand your anger though. Steroids are dangerous substances and the only way to get rid of them is to regulate. Keep in mind though: the problem will always be there.

Leave a comment:

• TheFeniX
    replied

Originally posted by tHa_KhAn View Post
    I was talking about the artificial demand that is created when supply is threatened. Let's call normal US consumption a flat line...it spikes whenever a threat to supply is imminent. This demand is unusual and excessively high leading to further supply problems. I live in Florida and our gas stations will be out of gas before the hurricane hits. THe gas stations supply meets the average demand for that time of year. When the artificial demand occurs because of the threat to supply, then supply is actually consumed not by the threat, but by demand. A vicious cycle.
    If there is no demand for that particular product to begin with: threatening the supply isn't going to affect the demand.

You're on a tangent that really has nothing to do with my original statement. Petroleum supply and natural disasters actually affect people in a realistic way. Celebrity deaths do not.

Besides, people stock-piling gas in response to a perceived price hike is not "artificial demand." In fact, it's really not a demand increase at all as they are really concerned with getting as much gas as possible, for the best price they can. If they actually utilize that gas for what they've bought it for, then their net use of gasoline for the year will remain constant.

For example, if I use 50 gallons of gas a week to get to a from work, it doesn't matter if I buy it all at the beginning of the week and stock-pile it in cans, or buy it as I use it. I still have the same demand for gas either way.

Leave a comment:

• tHa_KhAn
    replied

Originally posted by TheFeniX View Post
    Completely separate issue: the demand for gasoline is high because this country is dependent on it completely. From agriculture to shipping to personal transportation, this country has to have a steady supply of petroleum. The demand never changed, the supply did.
    I was talking about the artificial demand that is created when supply is threatened. Let's call normal US consumption a flat line...it spikes whenever a threat to supply is imminent. This demand is unusual and excessively high leading to further supply problems. I live in Florida and our gas stations will be out of gas before the hurricane hits. THe gas stations supply meets the average demand for that time of year. When the artificial demand occurs because of the threat to supply, then supply is actually consumed not by the threat, but by demand. A vicious cycle.

Leave a comment:

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
X