Adrian Lamo Wanted: Well known hacker or helper

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adrian Lamo Wanted: Well known hacker or helper

It took me awhile to decide to post this since you all have such strong and overly judgmental opinions on stuff like this. But I hope you all read the links a quotes and draw a decent opinion and let us know what you think.

First here is my opinion….. There are two types of hackers. First the kind that hack for a pursuit of knowledge, or anything even remotely resembling curiosity about technology and the kind the are after the intentional destruction of other people’s property.
    Adrian Lamo is mainly out for the pursuit to help corporations find holes in security. Every network ever hacked by him was made aware of the hole and how to fix the issue of security. This man should be patted on the back instead of prosecuted. He is the reason millions of corporations are still in business. Adrian Lamo is a close friend of Kevin Mitnick ( World known hacker) and Kevin has nothing but good things to say about Adrian and what he does.

Now for the links

http://theregister.co.uk/content/55/32673.html
    http://www.wired.com/news/infostructure/0,1377,50811,00.html
    http://www.securityfocus.com/news/6888

And for some quotes
    Originally posted by theregister
    The 22-year-old Lamo has become famous for publicly exposing gaping security holes at large corporations, then voluntarily helping the companies fix the vulnerabilities he exploited -- sometimes visiting their offices or signing non-disclosure agreements in the process
    Originally posted by Darci Wood – Kevin Mitnick’s girlfriend and friend to Adrian Lamo
    Along the way, he has helped many companies by discovering loopholes in their security and informing them of means to correct them. He never tried to hide his activities, but instead, was very open about the exploits he discovered, and offered his services free of charge to assist in correcting them. He said he didn’t target specific companies, but that he would stumble across vulnerabilities and then investigate them further
    Originally posted by wired
    Lamo is becoming widely known in hacker circles for tiptoeing into the networks of companies like Yahoo and WorldCom -- and then telling the corporate guys how he got there.
    Administrators at several of the companies he's hacked have called Lamo brilliant and "helpful" for helping fix these gaps in network defenses.
    Ok now please read and add your comments if you would like. I just wanted to make it clear what the government is doing out there to the wrong type of hackers.
    WARNING: DO NOT LET DR. MARIO TOUCH YOUR GENITALS. HE IS NOT A REAL DOCTOR.

No one would really want to look at all your devient pr0n e... What they would want to do would be to assimalate your DSL connection into another bot in a bot army to use in a DDOS attack at websites and other black hats.

Comment

Thing is, did these companies asked him to violate their security? To test out their security?

Comment

Hey Dragon- if you want people to actually READ the articles you posted and desire to reply, it would help if you didn't insult your readers in your first sentence. :)

Just some unsolicited advice. I'm gonna go read the articles now.

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfie
          Thing is, did these companies asked him to violate their security? To test out their security?
          No, and that is why he's being charged with the crime.

However in my personal opinion this man should not be thrown in jail. While technicaly yes he has commited a crime, he has not caused anyone any harm, and done a great deal of good.

Case: Your out walking late at night, and witness a horrible car accident where several people are terribly injured. Your a doctor, but of course you have no tools with you. However there is a closed pharmacy right in front of the accident. You could save several lives by breaking into the pharmacy to get those tools, however you run the risk of getting charged with break and enter and theft. What would you do?

Originally posted by Wired
          The only way to get a publicly traded company to recognize that they're acting retarded is to kick 'em in the nuts. And you do that through the media," wrote Ira Wing, 29,
          Personaly I think thats one of the best quotes out of all three articles, with the Michael Jackson one pulling a close second.
          I am the one, I am the zero, I am your low resolution hero.

Comment

Yes, but he did commit a crime.....

Just because stealing something is not as bad as murdering someone, it still is a crime.

Comment

What did he steal? He found open doors, and helped companies close them.

Comment

The catch here is that he broke the law. Now, he broke the law for a larger, more significant purpose, which to *me* justifies his actions. Regardless of the bigger purpose though, he still broke a law. Sometimes, someone has to risk breaking the law for the greater good (ie Bentley's Doctor scenario) but in the end, you are still 100% responsible for the consequences of your actions.

Unfortunately, one of those consequences happens to be getting yourself on the government's sh*t list.

Comment

Frankly the government should be hiring this guy, not trying to make him Bubba's bunkmate.

Comment

Can't say I disagree, Bentley.

Comment

Originally posted by Bentley
                      What did he steal? He found open doors, and helped companies close them.
                      Sorry I was using theft as a comparison between 2 different crimes. I didn't mean to implie he was stealing...

Comment

Originally posted by luna
                        Hey Dragon- if you want people to actually READ the articles you posted and desire to reply, it would help if you didn't insult your readers in your first sentence. :)

Just some unsolicited advice. I'm gonna go read the articles now.
                        There is no insult meant so if taken then something is wrong. I myself have a overly judgmental opinion on most things.

judgmental = characterized by a tendency to judge harshly

Every person judges everything harshly in here so shouldn't insult anyone

But again if it did I am sorry.

Now all made good points. I notice one thing thought. You all say he broke the law. Now the art of finding a opening in a network is not a crime. He found these openings and then told the companies about it. Now if nothing was harmed and nothing was stole then is it a crime?

Comment

Originally posted by dragon
                          Now all made good points. I notice one thing thought. You all say he broke the law. Now the art of finding a opening in a network is not a crime. He found these openings and then told the companies about it. Now if nothing was harmed and nothing was stole then is it a crime?
                          What about trespassing? Did the companies invite him into their networks? With all the security in place, the answer seems to be no. He had to actively search for a way around the security in order to get in.

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfie
                            What about trespassing? Did the companies invite him into their networks? With all the security in place, the answer seems to be no. He had to actively search for a way around the security in order to get in.
                            LMAO cyber trespassing. Has funny sound to it.

I see your point. I still think that it is stupid to think that he helped these companies from being destroyed by other hackers and this is the thanks. That is my point.

Plus this is not ment to turn in to a debate. Figured I would add that in before it gets out of line LOL

Comment

its like leaving a 3rd story window open at night, just cause its there and open, it doesnt make it right to "test" it to see if you can get in..... Its still wrong. he should have asked up front if they would allow him to seek out vulnerabilities and then abided by the answer either way...... to sneak into someones private belongings without their knowledge even if you do not do any harm is still wrong.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X