Surgeon General - doctor or politico?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surgeon General - doctor or politico?

Originally posted by Testimony of Dr. Richard Carmona, Surgeon General 2002-2006
    "...Although most Americans believe that their Surgeon General has the ability to impact the course of public health as "the nation's doctor," the reality is that the nation's doctor has been marginalized and relegated to a position with no independent budget, and with supervisors who are political apointees with partisan agendas. Anything that doesn't fit into the political apointee's ideological, theological or political agenda is ignored, marginalized, or simply buried.

The problem with this approach is that in public health, as in a democracy, there is nothing worse than ignoring science, or marginalizing the voice of science for reasons driven by changing political winds."
    Full testimony of Dr. richard H. Carmona (outgoing U.S. Surgeon General)
    http://fl1.findlaw.com/news.findlaw....7testimony.pdf

Originally posted by NYTimes
    The administration, Dr. Carmona said, would not allow him to speak or issue reports about stem cells, emergency contraception, sex education, or prison, mental and global health issues. Top officials delayed for years and tried to “water down” a landmark report on secondhand smoke, he said. Released last year, the report concluded that even brief exposure to cigarette smoke could cause immediate harm.

Dr. Carmona said he was ordered to mention President Bush three times on every page of his speeches. He also said he was asked to make speeches to support Republican political candidates and to attend political briefings.
    Full article: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/11/wa...agewanted=1&hp

My opinion:
    While this certainly isn't limited to the Bush administration, I think that as with a number of related issues, Bush's administration continues to be the most controlling and manipulative of all former executive administrations. Five surgeon generals are now backing this up. We've seen this type of control/censorship within NASA as well with regard to climatological studies. If some type of congressional reform comes about as a result of this, then we can say at least one good thing came out of the Bush administration - increased independence and protection from politically fueled executive oversight.

A second aspect of this issue that fascinates me - and has more of an overarching influence on humankind - is that this issue is an excellent example of the increasing conflicts between cultural ideology (and theology) and modern science. I believe that this will be an increasingly common theme in the 21st century.
    Last edited by Mosely; 07-11-2007, 12:35 PM. Reason: misquote corrected

Re: Surgeon General - doctor or politico?

I'm not trying to say the Bush admin isn't manipulative, but how much of the blame is on the SGs for not speaking up earlier? What would have happened if the Surgeon Generals did not follow orders?
    Last edited by Hambergler; 07-11-2007, 06:40 PM.

Comment

SG is a political stooge?? Who would have thunk it!?!?
      A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

"$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

Comment

Yeah, I've never really understood the position of Surgeon General. I mean, I know the idealistic reason for the position, but considering the political nature of the appointment, I just don't see it as necessary. Why not just let the White House put out press releases on medical issues?

And while this administration might be particularly yucky, this issue is by no means restricted to the current regime.

Bring back Jocelyn Elders, I say!
        Become a supporting member!
        Buy a Tactical Duck!
        Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
        TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Originally posted by AMosely View Post
          A second aspect of this issue that fascinates me - and has more of an overarching influence on humankind - is that this issue is an excellent example of the increasing conflicts between cultural ideology (and theology) and modern science. I believe that this will be an increasingly common theme in the 21st century.
          One of the things Clinton initially got right, and then screwed up by undoing it: Appointing Jocelyn Elders.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joycelyn_Elders
          Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

"We know that more than 70 to 80% of women masturbate, and 90% of men masturbate, and the rest lie."

I love this woman.

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality View Post
              And while this administration might be particularly yucky, this issue is by no means restricted to the current regime.
              No, it's not at all restricted. That's why I thought this hearing was disturbing, because most if not all of the recent SG's reported being somehow directly affected or contradicted by the political agenda of the executive.

This may be one of those 'things' in government that you can't have both ways (partisan appointed but non-partisan in duty). It's a shame though, because 'watering down' reports on second-hand smoke or removing any support for birth control is simply harmful to the public, which seems to run counter to the purpose of the surgeon general.

I'm particularly frustrated by the testimony regarding the current administration, however - once again, taking things way, way too far.

Comment

Removing support for birth control harms the public? Not if it spares them from an eternity in hell!
                A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

Comment

Originally posted by xTYBALTx View Post
                  Removing support for birth control harms the public? Not if it spares them from an eternity in hell!
                  More urgently (not to mention realistically), it spares them from the potential hell-on-earth for both parent and child of an unintended pregnancy.

Comment

C Everett Koop FTW
                    sigpic
                    |TG-1st|Grunt
                    ARMA Admin (retired)
                    Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Originally posted by AMosely View Post
                      More urgently (not to mention realistically), it spares them from the potential hell-on-earth for both parent and child of an unintended pregnancy.
                      Hell on earth means nothing once your soul has been saved for all of eternity. Happiness on earth means nothing once your soul has been damned for all of eternity.

Comment

Originally posted by xTYBALTx View Post
                        Hell on earth means nothing once your soul has been saved for all of eternity. Happiness on earth means nothing once your soul has been damned for all of eternity.
                        I am so screwed...
                        Buy a Tactical Duck!
                        Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."

Comment

Repent!

Comment

Originally posted by Grunt 70 View Post
                            C Everett Koop FTW
                            He had a uniform for farks sake! And that beard - he looked like the commander of an Amish battleship.*

*Jay Leno joke IIRC

Comment

Originally posted by norden View Post
                              He had a uniform for farks sake!
                              Don't they all?
                              Buy a Tactical Duck!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X