ATI Consumer vs. FIRE cards

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ATI Consumer vs. FIRE cards

Can anyone give me a clear answer about the difference between ATI FireGL cards vs. their consumer Radeon cards? OR Geforce 88xx cards vs. Quadro?

I've got a new batch of reference cards but don't know if I'll get to play with gaming on them (the Fire and Quadros). Some of these are $1200 a piece vs. the 600 or 700 for a 8800 GTX (768MB).

Should I bother playing with the FireGL's or not waste the time?
    sigpic

Re: ATI Consumer vs. FIRE cards

i know quadro cards are for high end graphics. In now way are they a Gaming card. fireGL are the same mainly used for CAD. You will have to hunt for drivers to be able to play on those 2 cards. Really not worth the effort when you can get a gaming card for cheaper.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATI_FireGL
    that sounds like a good idea trooper.
    -Vulcan

Comment

FireGL and Quadro cards are more for technical work rather than gaming I believe. I've also heard that the price tags are so high because you are paying for a firmer driver support.

Highly suggest a gaming card over these if gaming is what you'll be doing, even if not gaming I'd go this route first for you really don't "need," such a card for those applications unless you're going to be a very heavy user of them.

Comment

The FireGL and Quadro cards are optimized for openGL standards compliance as are their respective drivers. I use a FireGL at work for the MCAD work I do. I have used Quadro cards in the past as well as the now extinct 3D Labs cards.

The difference is the CAD cards will render 3D models and wire frames without ghosting or leaving artifacts on screen when rotating or rebuilding models. Most CAD vendors will certify cards and drivers so their customers know they will work with their software.

I tested a 3dLabs Wildcat VP880 card I got about 5 years ago to see if it would work to play games because it had 256 megs of ram and should have been a gaming monster at the time. The 3dmark results were very disappointing, a Geforce TI4200 I had ran about twice as fast.

I haven't run any benchmarks with this new FireGL I have but I absolutely love the CAD performance. What do you use the cards you have for?

Comment

They'll be used for CAD in the end, but I get to play with them in the meantime. I've got some FireGL V7350's here and Some Quadros.. different models.
          sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
          X