Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google and the 700 Mhz Spectrum

This could be greate news.

I personally am writing my representitives to get the FCC to adopt the "open" idea of the spectrum.

http://www.mobiletechnews.com/info/2...20/151722.html

Google announced today that should the Federal Communications Commission adopt a framework requiring greater competition and consumer choice, Google intends to participate in the federal government's upcoming auction of wireless spectrum in the 700 megahertz (MHz) band.

In a filing with the FCC on July 9, Google urged the Commission to adopt rules for the auction that ensure that, regardless of who wins the spectrum at auction, consumers' interests are served. Specifically, Google encouraged the FCC to require the adoption of four types of "open" platforms as part of the license conditions:

* Open applications: Consumers should be able to download and utilize any software applications, content, or services they desire;

* Open devices: Consumers should be able to utilize a handheld communications device with whatever wireless network they prefer;

* Open services: Third parties (resellers) should be able to acquire wireless services from a 700 MHz licensee on a wholesale basis, based on reasonably nondiscriminatory commercial terms; and

* Open networks: Third parties (like internet service providers) should be able to interconnect at any technically feasible point in a 700 MHz licensee's wireless network.
    Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
    - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
    - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
    - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
    - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
    - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
    - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Re: Google and the 700 Mhz Spectrum

The FCC actively despises all sorts of openness, but it would be really awesome for that to happen. Here's hoping...
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. ~
    I have a tendency to key out three or four things and then let them battle for supremacy while I key, so there's a lot of backspacing as potential statements are slaughtered and eaten by the victors. ~
    Feel free to quote me. ~

Comment

Originally posted by ednos View Post
      The FCC actively despises all sorts of openness, but it would be really awesome for that to happen. Here's hoping...
      According to some comments made in a twit.tv story there is some interest expressed by the FCC in this proposal. This is why I (and I hope you if you are hopeful) am going to write my Representatives.
      Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
      - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
      - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
      - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
      - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
      - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
      - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

I'm getting right on that.
        The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. ~
        I have a tendency to key out three or four things and then let them battle for supremacy while I key, so there's a lot of backspacing as potential statements are slaughtered and eaten by the victors. ~
        Feel free to quote me. ~

Comment

This is pretty fascinating proposal, I'm extremely interested in how this pans out. In case some of you don't know, the FCC hasn't exactly placed public interest and innovation at the top priority slot as of late. Someone/something needs to kick them back into gear, and wouldn't it be ironic if that push came from the very industry they are supposedly there to regulate.

Regulation of any industry is one of those eternally debatable subjects. To regulate or not to regulate, and heavy or light? Some telecommunications regulation/deregulation has been successful in the past (the universal service fund, breakup of AT&T, unbundling of the local loop), but the refusal to regulate and de-monopolize cable providers and the lack of attention to regional bell operating companies (your telco landline providers) has allowed the public get gouged.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
          X