X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ..movin on up..

... to a deluxe apartment in the sky.. :(

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/...in628868.shtml

Actress Isabel Sanford, best known as "Weezie," Louise Jefferson on the television sitcom "The Jeffersons," died of natural causes, her publicist said Monday. She was 86.
    I remember at times watching "The Jeffersons" when I stayed with my grandparents' as a young child growing up. I loved and respected both my grandparents very much, but their segregated upbringings still influenced their outlook in their old age, and watching that show in their home was one of the ways I made it clear to them that their subtle and undiscussed distaste for "colored people" wasn't something they were going to pass down to me (thanks go out to my parents for raising me right in that regard, as well as others).

Sanford's character always seemed strong to me, and I enjoyed that show very much growing up. I remember being disappointed in my grandmother the day she walked in and turned the TV off, saying we didn't need to watch "that."

Quite the strange scene, a non-fictional white woman falling to a weakness exposed in her reaction to a fictional black one. Sanford outlived my grandmother, but my memory of her would have faded long before my memory of my grandmother if it weren't for the fact that her character is embedded in my memory as the woman that "grandma wouldn't let me watch."

It never ceases to amaze me how the strangest combination of seemingly-insignificant events in your childhood can later culminate into the memories and lessons that help shape you as an adult.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Re: ..movin on up..

A good show that pretty much poked fun at everything in the social consciousness, like it's predecessor "All In The Family." I didn't have the experience you describe, exactly, but I do fondly remember wanting to know why George kept calling everyone names. :)

Well said, Wyz.

Comment

Re: ..movin on up..

Originally posted by Wyzcrak
      ... I remember at times watching "The Jeffersons" when I stayed with my grandparents' as a young child growing up. I loved and respected both my grandparents very much, but their segregated upbringings still influenced their outlook in their old age, and watching that show in their home was one of the ways I made it clear to them that their subtle and undiscussed distaste for "colored people" wasn't something they were going to pass down to me (thanks go out to my parents for raising me right in that regard, as well as others).
      Whoa... I could've written this. I remember watching this show with my paternal grandparents and overhearing discussion about how wrong this show was. I remember asking my grandmother why she felt that way and watching her stumble over her words as she struggled to come up with a reason. I was pretty young, but it did leave a strong impression on me.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
      X