Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I-35W bridge collapes

News story

The link between St. Paul and Minneapolis, over the Mississippi river collapsed today. 6 people confirmed dead, dozens injured. I know there are a lot of people from Minnesota who are in this community, and I'm just checking in to make sure everyone is okay. Many, many people have to drive over this bridge everyday, and the collapse happened during rush hour. I've called everyone I know in the cities and everything is okay on that front.

Re: I-35W bridge collapes

Death toll is up one to seven now. What a tragedy.

Comment

CNN was bloodthirsty to get the local spokesman to admit people were dead after they said they could not confirm anything at that point and kept focusing on the bus of school children. I told the wife that Fox probably was making a hint towards terrorism so we changed it to that channel and they were quoting someone saying "We can't relate it to terrorism at this time". Couldn't find a station that wasn't a bunch of sharks at a feeding frenzy.

I'm wondering what the failure was caused by, I know they were resurfacing but that does not affect the structure, and there should have been less cars on it since less lanes were open.
      |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

Originally posted by snooggums View Post
        CNN was bloodthirsty to get the local spokesman to admit people were dead after they said they could not confirm anything at that point and kept focusing on the bus of school children. I told the wife that Fox probably was making a hint towards terrorism so we changed it to that channel and they were quoting someone saying "We can't relate it to terrorism at this time". Couldn't find a station that wasn't a bunch of sharks at a feeding frenzy.

I'm wondering what the failure was caused by, I know they were resurfacing but that does not affect the structure, and there should have been less cars on it since less lanes were open.

I was thinking the same thing. It dint seem any news channel actually cared about the people, just getting new information first. FOX was a little more diligent with getting some neighbors that live around the bridge to tell of their account, but they all where very inconsiderate. Seems all news is to worried about death/destruction to look at the good side of things.

From what i gathered they just got done doing some structural work IE steal inspections and repairs. Half the lanes where shut down which really limited the traffic. It could have been alot worse, all 6 lanes open and backed up traffic, so i guess thats one good thing.
        that sounds like a good idea trooper.
        -Vulcan

Comment

Originally posted by snooggums View Post
          Quoted from the Wiki

«The cause of the collapse remains unknown. A 2001 Mn/DOT report indicated weakness at the joints of the steel that held the concrete deck above the river, due to "unanticipated out of plane distortion" of the steel girders. The report also noted a concern about lack of redundancy in the main truss system.[38] As a non-redundant structure, the bridge had a greater risk of collapse following any single structural failure.»

Heard on the radio: corrosion on the rivets holding some parts of the structure. I guess at this stage it's mostly speculation.

Edit: Expect more info soon.

DB
          Last edited by Dick Blonov; 08-02-2007, 02:48 PM.

«That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

| |

Comment

Maybe the government did it on purpose, just like Hurricane Katrina or 9/11. Not to make light of a tragic situation or anything, but I guess we won't hear those theories since black people PROBABLY weren't involved.
            "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

Originally posted by War.mongeR1 View Post
              Maybe the government did it on purpose, just like Hurricane Katrina or 9/11. Not to make light of a tragic situation or anything, but I guess we won't hear those theories since black people PROBABLY weren't involved.

what?! you mean conspiracy's?
              that sounds like a good idea trooper.
              -Vulcan

Comment

I heard about it. Said mentally "God help the families, etc."

Then I turned on the news. Heard "THIS IS AMERICA, HOW CAN A BRIDGE KILL PEOPLE LIKE THIS?!" I believe it was on NBC. Sad.

Bridges fall. Volcanoes errupt. Planes crash. Quite literally [poop] happens.

While its unfortunate that the bridge collapsed, it could have been worse. And I think generally we're lucky this doesnt EVER happen.

I blame the reptoids.
                Skud

Comment

Originally posted by Dick Blonov View Post
                  «The cause of the collapse remains unknown. A 2001 Mn/DOT report indicated weakness at the joints of the steel that held the concrete deck above the river, due to "unanticipated out of plane distortion" of the steel girders. The report also noted a concern about lack of redundancy in the main truss system.[38] As a non-redundant structure, the bridge had a greater risk of collapse following any single structural failure
                  I emboldened the key words that PROVE beyond a shadow of a doubt that the government was behind this one. See the many correlations between this and 9/11? COINCIDENCE? I think not! Only the government has these kinds of resources.
                  The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. ~
                  I have a tendency to key out three or four things and then let them battle for supremacy while I key, so there's a lot of backspacing as potential statements are slaughtered and eaten by the victors. ~
                  Feel free to quote me. ~

Comment

Ednos, I detect your sarcasm but this is truly a tagic event.

The fingers are being pointed.

As far as our asinine democratic senator, Amy Klobuchar, is concerned, this was all because Bush spent too much on the Iraq War. Well, I'm as liberal as they get as far as politics are concerned, but this shouldn't be blamed on President Bush. Accidents happen and this was a horrific one. Go figure she would try to gain some leverage with this accident. It about makes me sick.

Comment

Welcome my friends. Welcome to the machine.
                      Skud

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                      X