Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Russia claims artic circle.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/6927395.stm

Russian explorers have planted their country's flag on the seabed 4,200m (14,000ft) below the North Pole to further Moscow's claims to the Arctic.

I wasn't aware the arctic circle was claimable. I also wasn't aware Russia had that kind of money to be spending on a land claiming mission. You would think they would be more concerned with paying their employees or even stopping the sales of weapons to Iran
    that sounds like a good idea trooper.
    -Vulcan

Re: Russia claims artic circle.

I also had no idea that the Arctic Circle was claimable. I assumed that it was similar to Antarctica, as per the Antarctic Treaty System(Which precludes territorial claims, Military activity, harvesting of resources, etc. ) . I applaud them for being on the ball, though. They've just taken the lead in yet another territorial race.

It'll take the Russians less money to conduct this territory grab than to pay employees. It'll also pay off in the form of desperately needed employment and an influx of money from the valuable resources under the ice. Though you would think that they would further exploit their already existing massive oil reserves to a greater extent before going after this. As to Iran, that's not their problem nearly to the extent that it is ours, despite their relative proximity.
    Life in Bogota is a lot like a big box of Colombian chocolates. You never know when you'll get blown up by the FARC.

Comment

Oh boy. I'm willing to bet they will not be content with just that part.

Quoted:

"Canada's sovereignty over the lands and waters of the Canadian Arctic is longstanding, well-established and based on historic title."

DB
      Last edited by Dick Blonov; 08-02-2007, 10:09 AM.

«That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

| |

Comment

I just pulled up a couple maps, and I cannot see that the area that the Russians have laid claim to is actually formally sovereign to Canada(It's quite possible that I am incorrect, though I am only considering actual formal lines of national territory ) .

"Current laws grant countries an economic zone of 200 nautical miles beyond their land borders.

This zone can be extended where a country can prove that the structure of the continental shelf is similar to the geological structure within its territory."

If the Russians can prove that that is indeed the case, and it is not also linked to the North American continental shelf, then they are legally entitled to claim it. Regardless, multiple nations are due to provide evidence supporting their territorial claims in the coming years, which seems likely to be the deciding factor for this "dispute".
        Life in Bogota is a lot like a big box of Colombian chocolates. You never know when you'll get blown up by the FARC.

Comment

Originally posted by Silas Ender View Post
          I just pulled up a couple maps, and I cannot see that the area that the Russians have laid claim to is actually formally sovereign to Canada(It's quite possible that I am incorrect, though I am only considering actual formal lines of national territory ) .

Sorry, my post was unclear. The part they claim is indeed International. Canada has been actively keeping an eye on that 200 mile boundary...

Another concern: «Russia's flag-planting mission follows a claim made by its scientists last month that the Lomonosov Ridge - an underwater mountain chain that runs across the Arctic Ocean between Russia and Canada - is geologically linked to Russia, giving it ownership of a vast, resource-rich area of the polar seafloor under a UN convention governing undersea territorial claims.»

Our polititians better get cracking :)

DB

«That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

| |

Comment

Originally posted by Dick Blonov View Post
            Sorry, my post was unclear. The part they claim is indeed International. Canada has been actively keeping an eye on that 200 mile boundary.

Another concern: «Russia's flag-planting mission follows a claim made by its scientists last month that the Lomonosov Ridge - an underwater mountain chain that runs across the Arctic Ocean between Russia and Canada - is geologically linked to Russia, giving it ownership of a vast, resource-rich area of the polar seafloor under a UN convention governing undersea territorial claims.»

Our polititians better get cracking :)

DB
            Yeah i seen that as well. With that logic is belongs to canada as well. The next few years it will be funny/interesting to see how far russia will go to get this land. But then again it may be resource rich but how are they gonna pay to get that crap up to sell? Im sure the USA will give them money to do it.
            -Vulcan

Comment

Originally posted by Trooper View Post
              Yeah i seen that as well. With that logic is belongs to canada as well.

Not until they prove that it is actually linked to the North American Continental Shelf as well(Though I believe the only thing that is currently preventing this is Canada's lack of ability to traverse the Arctic beneath the ice and dive to sufficient depth ) .

Comment

Russia is broke?

Comment

Don't oil companies dig up the oil, not governments? What's it matter if Russia's government is broke, someone will still pay the royalties and costs to set up rigs.
                  A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

"$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

Comment

Originally posted by xTYBALTx View Post
                    Don't oil companies dig up the oil, not governments? What's it matter if Russia's government is broke, someone will still pay the royalties and costs to set up rigs.
                    Commies don't work that way. Maybe if we were talking about something less controlled by their government, but oil, and it's profits, are highly regulated in Russia.

Comment

Commies? I thought we're talking about Russia? Wait. What year is it?

Comment

Both Canada and Denmark claim territorial rights to the North Pole.

Here is a small excerpt of a Norwegian article around the many issues that are arising due to the melting poles.

There is this barren island between Greenland(Denmark) and Ellesmere Island(Canada) called Hans Island. In 2002 and 2003 Danish warships posted the Danish flag on the island. They even put down Danish liquor for the Canadian military who came there right after(this has been going on for a while). The Canadians did the same right after this episode and left behind a small stone statue for the Danes.

The real issue at hand here is who controls the North West passage which allows for passage between the Atlantic ocean and the Pacific ocean.

At the speed the Polar Ice is melting the NW-Passage will be ice free within years from now.

Danish scientists are also looking at the Lomosonov Ridge as they believe Greenland is also tied to this. The argument is that if it is connected to the ridge then the North Pole is a natural extension to Greenland.

Edit: In 1986 the U.N. Convention on the Law of the Sea declared that coastal countries hold an economic zone extending 230 miles from their shores. The countries surrounding the North Pole who have signed this treaty are Norway, Russia, Canada and Denmark. USA has not.

Note that Denmark made this claim back in 2004, so Russia is not by far the first who did this.
                        --
                        VI VI VI - the number of the beast

Comment

Russia vs. Norway vs. Canada vs. Denmark

My money's on the US winning!
                          A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

"$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

Comment

Originally posted by xTYBALTx View Post
                            Russia vs. Norway vs. Canada vs. Denmark

My money's on the US winning!
                            Good lord man, you should be helping a brother out!

Comment

Originally posted by sordavie View Post
                              Russia is broke?
                              Russia has been broke since the early '80s. Cold war really dint go over to well for the pockets of that country. Alot of the funds for the USA side of the cold war came in arms sales. We sold alot of our gear to other countries after we where done with it.

Originally posted by sordavie View Post
                              Commies? I thought we're talking about Russia? Wait. What year is it?
                              Russia may say they are democratic but their entire history is communism. Its gonna take more then 20 years to get that out of their heads. Alot of old Russia is still in its parliament and leading party's, paranoia. They want to make sure they are first at things or at least make sure they are making it hard for others to do what they need to do.

Why do you think Russia working on the space station with the USA, even though we are funding their space program and training their techs? They dint trust that it was gonna be a space station, they thought and still do, it was gonna be a spy platform or some sort of space missile defense structure.
                              -Vulcan

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...