Armstrong takes yellow

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Armstrong takes yellow

The American cyclist Lance Armstrong took the leader's yellow jersey today in the Tour De France. If he goes on to win his record seventh tour he will be arguable one of the greatest athletes ever. How come there isn't a thread here already? Can anyone think of any athlete from any discipline that has achieved such a domination of such a difficult and hottly contended sport?
    Wintermute

Play EVE online. It's like being an accounting addict in space.

Re: Armstrong takes yellow

Lance is the shiznet. He's pretty popular here in Austin, TX.

Comment

Lance Armstrong is the mutha-flipping man!
      Become a supporting member!
      Buy a Tactical Duck!
      Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
      TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Can anyone think of any athlete from any discipline that has achieved such a domination of such a difficult and hottly contended sport?
        Hulk Hogan.
        [volun]

Comment

Anika Sorenstam

Comment

scott hamilton
            micheal jordan
            jerry rice
            walter peyton
            pele
            wayne gretsky
            matt hoffman
            tony hawk
            oscar de la hoya
            Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
            The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

I don't know if you can compare any of the athletes listed so far to Lance Armstrong. None of them (except Hoffman? I don't follow BMX at all...) has dominated such a grueling single annual event for six years (five consecutive). And not to take anything away from their talent, but none of the outstanding athletes from team sports can be considered in this comparison. Although Lance Armstrong is on a team, this is an individual competition.
              Become a supporting member!
              Buy a Tactical Duck!
              Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
              TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Originally posted by Wintermute
                If he goes on to win his record seventh tour he will be
                Actually it would be his record sixth tour. :icon12:

I do what I can.
                I do what I can.

cpgf: (n.) Acronym describing a significant other who has not yet acheived full spousal status and is in possession of a cable modem; of note because at YOUR house, you still have dial-up -- and crappy dialup at that.

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality
                  And not to take anything away from their talent, but none of the outstanding athletes from team sports can be considered in this comparison. Although Lance Armstrong is on a team, this is an individual competition.
                  I do think players of team sports could compare. I could name several football (soccer) players that have dominated a match or even an entire season/ competition, but few that have done so consistantly over a long period of time.

The Brazilian footballer Pele's record is impressive:
                  1281 goals in 1363 matches - all-time world record

92 caps [international appearances], 97 goals

Considerng the very best strikers score one goal every two or three matches when they are on top form and their form tends to be very patchy, this is a stupendous record.

1958 FIFA World Cup in Sweden: winner
                  1959 Copa America: finalist
                  1959 Top goalscorer in Copa America (9 goals)
                  1962 FIFA World Cup in Chile: winner
                  1966 FIFA World Cup in England: first round
                  1970 FIFA World Cup in Mexico: winner
                  Source: http://www.360soccer.com/pele/

However he didn't win in '66 (when England won incidentally) or ever win the Copa America. As Cing suggests it is hard to tell if this is down to the other 10 players though.

I don't know anything about any of Ddogg's other suggestions or their sports.
                  Wintermute

Play EVE online. It's like being an accounting addict in space.

Comment

Ernie the Eagle?
                    Badger?

Michael Schumacher's had a good run.

Comment

Originally posted by H-Hour
                      Hulk Hogan.
                      Nice choice, H.

Armstrong just has to pedal. Pro wrestlers have to (pretend to) beat the snot out of people, kick the crap out of their own bodies, AND exhibit charisma throughout.

Not to take anything away from Armstrong, of course, but Hulk Hogan's 9 years at the top of pro wrestling is about a bazillion times more grueling (and if you feel like making a steroid argument, go ahead, but nine years -- even ON drugs -- is a damn long time). Armstrong just has to pedal for a few days in July. :P
                      [volun2]
                      NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
                      Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
                      <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
                      <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

"Just has to pedal for a few days"?!?!

I'm sorry, but that's one of the most ignorant things I've ever heard. Get off your ass and ride for 100+ difficult miles for 20 days with only moderate amounts of rest and the occasional day off AND tough competition and then call it "pedalling for a few days".

The team strategy, physical & mental conditioning, and skill it takes to do that is so far beyond any other sport. I've done a few 100+ milers and many 50+ milers and it is TOUGH.

Not to take away from other great sports accomplishments, but this is way F*cking more than just "pedalling for a few days".

Comment

What about the GB rowing team, particulars Steve Redgrave who has
                          Gold at 5 olympics, domineering the sport for over 20 years..

Comment

I hope you weren't serious when you said "Just has to pedal for a few days" but I feel the need to post some info about Lance to clear up any doubts you might have about what kind of super human he is. I stole the following from lancearmstrong.com

Resting heart rate: 32-34
                            VO2ml/kg: 83.8
                            Max power at VO2: 600 watts
                            Max heart rate: 201
                            Lactate Threshold HR: 178
                            Time Trial HR: 188-192
                            Pedal rpm's during TT: 95-100
                            Climbing rpm's: 80-85, sometimes faster when attacking
                            Average HR during endurance rides (4-6 hrs): 124-128
                            Average watts during endurance rides: 245-280 watts
                            Training miles/hours, endurance rides: 5- 6 hrs / 100-130miles

The average 30 year old male in good shape would have a Resting Heart Rate of approx. 70 and a Max Heart Rate of approx 170. Well trained athletes generally have a heart rate around 40.

Oh and resting heart rate is not measured when you just get out of bed. It is measured in the middle of the day when you haven't been exerting yourself. Anyone can measure in the 40's just out of bed.
                            flux
                            [tg-c1]

Comment

Our pals in France showing their stripes:

http://www.reuters.co.uk/newsPackage...8&section=news

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X