Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I bought -

A BOAT!

When I was over at Kennedy Space Center for the shuttle launch - I got to talking with a friend of a friend about his boat and he mentioned he had some sailboats he wanted to sell. Just before this, on the trip over there, I was talking to my friend Tracy and telling her I was thinking about buying a sailboat but they were all around $7000 for the style hull I wanted and then getting it rigged like I wanted would be on top of that. So I was telling her about what the one I wanted would look like and so on..

Well - turns out this guy she knew had EXACTLY what I was describing and wanted to sell it.. fully rigged how I wanted it with top notch kit and new top tier sails including the spinnaker. New - it easily probably approached $10k. It's 10 years old now and probably looks 2 years old but needs some minor TLC because it's has been sitting an a trailer for 2 years. It really only needs new lines and a nice polish and it'll be good to go.

It's a Chesapeake Designs FrontRunner One Design A-19 class competition boat that’s won regattas all over the U.S. and Canada. So the previous owner was a pro and took care of it and the current owner decided his kids weren't that into it (it only went out 4 times since he'd had it).

The kicker - ready for this? Guess how much? Go ahead.. Guess..
    $4000? $3000? Did I mention the trailer is included? The sails alone are $2200. Did you guess yet?

$500.00

YEP! I'm going to trailer it back next weekend and I'll put some pictures up.
    sigpic

Re: I bought -

Congrats on your deal! I couldn't even get a used car for that much. =p

Comment

That sounds great. Wish I had luck like that.

Sarcoma
      Sarcoma.

Comment

Oh my..I bet Nigeria and a Money order comes into play here soon!.
        Good Luck!
        |TG|ARMA Pathfinder
        ..now where did I put my keys?

Comment

Or may the seller is gettin a divorce and just wants to piss-off his ex!

Sarcoma
          Sarcoma.

Comment

Super congrats, P8triot, and I'm jealous aplenty. I had a chance to buy a nice Coronado (I know, not that nice, but solid!) for around 2k last summer but had to fold when my slip space fell through. It was space at the one marina in NYC I could afford, lol.... Anyway, I can't even imagine being lucky enough to get that thing! Have fun, man.
            OPS, the bacon is on you.

Comment

Nice one! I have Jimmy Buffet ringing in my ears just thinking about it :)

Comment

Thanks guys.. it's going to be fun - the guy basically just wanted it to go to a good home.

Originally posted by khaerus View Post
                Super congrats, P8triot, and I'm jealous aplenty. I had a chance to buy a nice Coronado (I know, not that nice, but solid!) for around 2k last summer but had to fold when my slip space fell through. It was space at the one marina in NYC I could afford, lol.... Anyway, I can't even imagine being lucky enough to get that thing! Have fun, man.
                Funny you should bring that up.. a few hours ago I called to get one of the boat parking spots here where I live and they aren't allowing them anymore! :(

I'll find a place for it though.
                sigpic

Comment

You lucky lucky bastid!

If you ever come up to lake Champlain, let me know (bring boat, I'll bring beer :madsmile:)

DB

«That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

| |

Comment

Originally posted by Dick Blonov View Post
                    You lucky lucky bastid!

If you ever come up to lake Champlain, let me know (bring boat, I'll bring beer :madsmile:)

DB
                    YER ON!
                    sigpic

Comment

The happiest moments that your going to have with a boat is when you buy it, and when you sell it.
                      AKA
                      USMCSierraJuan
                      Sierra_6177

Defabian

Comment

Originally posted by =MAXx= View Post
                        The happiest moments that your going to have with a boat is when you buy it, and when you sell it.
                        YEP! Thats why it's so cool! I can sail it when I want and when I am done - just pass it along.. or sell it for double ;)
                        sigpic

Comment

Nice deal. I want a sail boat so bad. I know how to sail a bit and there's nothing quite like it. I was going to buy a small sail boat, like a sunfish or something, but they go for around a grand. So yeah, you got a steal.
                          "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

Originally posted by War.mongeR1 View Post
                            Nice deal. I want a sail boat so bad. I know how to sail a bit and there's nothing quite like it. I was going to buy a small sail boat, like a sunfish or something, but they go for around a grand. So yeah, you got a steal.
                            Dude.. I learned to sail when I was a kid over 24 years ago and it never gets out of your system. When I got back into it - I had a definite 'vision' of what kind of sailboat I would buy. This is it - Well almost..

BTW - I picked it up today. It's much bigger than I remember.. there is a BIG difference between a 16' and a 19'. I picked it up with the Liberty.. which was cool because the Liberty is like a lil tugboat and handled it like a toy.. but a 26' boat+trailer combo is pretty funny looking on a lil Liberty.

The sails are perfect - just like new Quantum sail design. This thing is going to be a handful even in 'cruise' mode - everything about it screams speed. All the rigging is perfect except the sheets and lines, and I saved so much on the 'price' that I can get great rope for the lines and sheets. The previous owner even gave me new mast-stays that he had custom-made and never used.

I've been searching boat forums and stuff and have only found ONE other FrontRunner/A-19 owner. I think the A-19 class is not longer supported in One Design racing.. but that’s cool.. I didn't buy it for that. I think the J-20 class replaced it out of popularity - the J's were generally cheaper than the A's.

Photos one the way!
                            sigpic

Comment

What is the absolute cheapest sailboat to learn the basics of sailing? I know Hobie Cats were popular in San Diego for quite a while. Would that be good enough to teach myself the basics?

Is there something else smaller/lighter/cheaper that would be better to start out with?
                              Become a supporting member!
                              Buy a Tactical Duck!
                              Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                              TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X