• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Next time you get pulled over for speeding,

thank the cop for risking his life with idiots like these:

http://www.dw.ohio.gov/ohiostatepatr...room/video.htm
    Become a supporting member!
    Buy a Tactical Duck!
    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
    TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Re: Next time you get pulled over for speeding,

it was amazing to me to see that in the first case illustrated there, the one involving the black car "rubber necking" and colliding with the other car leaving it on its roof. that the people behid imidiatly began to indicate to switch lanes and buggered off.

i alsways stop if i see an accident, even if just to check to see if there are casualties, but those guys did not even blink, the potentially fatal accident that just occured, did not even faze them from their journey home.

that was pretty sad.

www.TeamElement.com

Comment

They probably assumed the officer would handle the mess. Bystanders wouldn't have much to do. The officer laid out flares/smoke around the crash and called for help. I'd say it was better for them to move so the officer could move his car behind the crash and turn on his hazard and police lights.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Originally posted by =Sarc=
        They probably assumed the officer would handle the mess. Bystanders wouldn't have much to do. The officer laid out flares/smoke around the crash and called for help. I'd say it was better for them to move so the officer could move his car behind the crash and turn on his hazard and police lights.

no sorry i cant accept that, if you look at the footage, they are indicating without even checking for casualties. there is one police officer ther, he would have to deal with casualties whilst calming traffic and trying to make the scene safe to work at. those guys didnt even bare that in mind,

at the scene of an accident unless there are paramedics and police on the scene we will stop and get the first aid kit fromthe back of the car and see if there is something that we could do. if more people did this fatalities at accidents would go down.

www.TeamElement.com

Comment

Originally posted by DudeMan
          at the scene of an accident unless there are paramedics and police on the scene we will stop and get the first aid kit fromthe back of the car and see if there is something that we could do. if more people did this fatalities at accidents would go down.
          The cop is better trained to handle emergencies than the average driver. Unless you happen to have training in the medical, you probably won't make as much of a difference.

Besides, most fatalities happen at accidents not because of people not stopping to help but in the time it takes to get the accident victim to a hospital where they can be treated. A first aid kit in the back of your car is not going to stop a fatality from occuring......

Comment

My best friend, my brother and my old roommate are all officers. I showed them the footage and asked them about it.... and about stopping to help.

If an officer is on scene (specifically them in this case), they did not want additional vehicles and people getting in the way. It causes more confusion and congestion. The emergency vehicles need to get there so the traffic needs to keep flowing as best as possible.

On a side note, in that first video you'll notice two vehicles did pull over on the right shoulder.

As for the whole idiot driver thing, it freaks me out thinking that my brother and two friends are out there with people like that. "Rubber necking" causes quite a few more accidents. Hell, even people not paying attention when they drive pisses me off.

Another side note... my brother while running code to a burglary call was driving down the center lane (turn lane; five lanes total) in town when he was struck by a drunk driver. The driver didn't pull over (patrol lights flashing - at night), didn't signal to turn and didn't use the turn lane (center lane). The drunk hit my brother's patrol car, spun it into a tree, driver's side. I got the call about 1am from my buddy (also on duty). All in all, that was one of my biggest scares to ever have. My brother suffered a severe concussion and was out for quite some time. We didn't know if he'd be back. Oh, and get this... it was the drunk's 5th or 6th DUI. Sure, he didn't have a license or insurance and it wasn't even his car. He'll serve some jail time but I'm sure he'll be back out doing it all again.

Thankfully my bro is back on the force fulltime and even on the SWAT team. Now he's the sniper... great... he'll be shooting them in the head. :icon_eek: Ok, I've rambled.
            |TG-12th| asch
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfie
              The cop is better trained to handle emergencies than the average driver. Unless you happen to have training in the medical, you probably won't make as much of a difference.

Besides, most fatalities happen at accidents not because of people not stopping to help but in the time it takes to get the accident victim to a hospital where they can be treated. A first aid kit in the back of your car is not going to stop a fatality from occuring......

sorry wolfie but that is factually crap, my father is a trained first aider, and he stoped at an accident with 2 policemen. there were 4 casualties and one was quite serious someone had been impailed, and then got out, he was bleeding perfusely, the police had to close the road, and secure the remaining passengers, all the time my father was applying preasure to the wound of tyhis guy and keeping him from going into shhock by speaking to him.

the paramedics thanked my father as did the police and said that if he were not there the man would have bled to death within minutes.

you do not need an extensive knowledge of first aid to know to apply preasure to a wound and keep it elevated.

im not saying everyone stop, but at least check and frankly it scares me thaty alot of people just think that this cop was super cop who could do everything, without even checking for casualties.

www.TeamElement.com

Comment

sorry wolfie but that is factually crap
                Nice response Dudeman :icon_roll :icon_roll Just because you claim your dad help someone out once doesn't make what I said not factually true.

Sorry but I have heard a lot of stories from cops about people "stopping" to help and in the end, doing more harm than helping the victim. If the cop needs help, they will try to flag down passing cars. Stopping just because you feel like it has a tendacy to cause more problems in the end.

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfie
                  Nice response Dudeman :icon_roll :icon_roll Just because you claim your dad help someone out once doesn't make what I said not factually true.

Sorry but I have heard a lot of stories from cops about people "stopping" to help and in the end, doing more harm than helping the victim. If the cop needs help, they will try to flag down passing cars. Stopping just because you feel like it has a tendacy to cause more problems in the end.

no sorry wolfie, you can tell me all you want about stories, fact is it happened right infront of my face, so ill continue to stop until the police officer tells me to scoot.

www.TeamElement.com

Comment

Several people have posted much more compelling reasons why stopping is not a good idea, I'll take the word of a cop as to what's appropriate to do. If there's a cop on scene I'm going to do him a favor and keep moving.

Comment

I'm not a traffic cop, but I talk with them all the time and I know their mentality. Trust me, they do not want people to stop and "help" them do their job. It will only cause more problems.

And although this may be limited to America, you also have to think about the liability issue. Stopping at the scene of an accident when emergency workers (a cop) are already there puts yourself and others in significant danger. Your car has no emergency lights, you aren't trained to perform emergency medical procedures and you don't have a radio to contact any other emergency workers. The average person will only be making things worse and would open themselves up to civil lawsuits from anyone else involved.

Don't get me wrong, if you're the only one there to help (or it's a horrible 8 car pileup with just one cop on scene), by all means, do what you can, but please stay out of the way of the professionals...
                      Buy a Tactical Duck!
                      Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."

Comment

I contacted the Kentucky Department of Transportation to find out their official answer.

My email to them

"Good day,

I have a question that deals more of a what would be the best course of
                        action. I have a friend that states that people should pull over the road
                        to assist police officer(s) when they are attending to an accident scene.
                        However, I am under the impression that pulling over causes more issues than

helping the officer (people helping that don't have the training or
                        experience, getting in the way, making the scene more dangerous to passing
                        motorists, the police officer, and the victim) and if the officer does need
                        help, he will wave to the passing cars to get someone pass over.

What should a person do in this situation?

Thanks"

Their response

"Thank you for your question.

In Kentucky when an emergency situation exists on the highway and an
                        emergency vehicle (enforcement, tow truck, ambulance, etc) is attending to
                        the situation, motorists, by law, are required to move over into the lane
                        farthest from the incident. Emergency personnel are trained to control the
                        situation. Motorists should try to get through the area by driving safely
                        and paying attention to the roadway and not the emergency situation. Quite
                        often secondary collisions occur when motorists are trying to check out the
                        other collision. It is always best to allow the emergency personnel to
                        handle the situation.

Thanks again for your question. I hope this helps."

So please let the professionals handle the job.

Comment

Do i Live in kentucky

erm no

does that law apply to me

erm no

so let me do as i god damn please until i am told by the metropilitan police otherwise.

www.TeamElement.com

Comment

Do i Live in kentucky

erm no
                            Thank God! :icon7:

does that law apply to me

erm no

so let me do as i god damn please until i am told by the metropilitan police otherwise.
                            Why don't you actually go to the local police station (s) and contact your local highway department (if you have something similar to what we have in the states) and get their official position before you go out and do something that you may regret later in life....

Comment

Yeah, the other problem with this little argument is that there are so many variables. If you know basic first aid and there are 3 cops on the scene and only one injured person, you're not going to be able to contribute anything to that situation. If you're a nurse, doctor, EMT or paramedic and you see a scene with one injured person and 3 cops, then obviously it would be a good idea to see if you can help, as you probably have more medical experience than the cops. If there are multiple serious injuries and only one cop, then again, it's probably a good idea to stop and help. I could go on and on like this, but bottom line is that it's a judgement call. The problem is that the dummies with bad judgement are always gonna try to stop even though they will only be making things worse. This is why the laws are written so that you do not add to the congestion caused by an accident on the highway. The small minority of people that actually could help by stopping are covered by this law as well, but if they only stopped when their good judgement deemed necessary, they would never have to worry about this kind of law.

Damn I'm babbling.... I don't even know if that makes sense.
                              Buy a Tactical Duck!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X