Guitar Geeks thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guitar Geeks thread

well, its not specifically for the geeks =D but I wanted to know who my fellow TG'ers who play guitar are so list your setup in this order

list your Primary setup

Guitar:
    Amp:(if aplicable)
    years played:

so for me it's

Guitar: Gibson SG '61 Re Issue http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...tar?sku=518935
    Amp: VOX 15watt POS(main is Marshall TSL100 Halfstack, but it's way too loud for normal use)
    Vox: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...mbo?sku=481958
    Marshall TSL head http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...ead?sku=482787
    Cab http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...net?sku=605014

Years Played: 5

Yay for G-Tars
    Last edited by stickyjeans69; 08-14-2007, 01:57 AM.

Re: Guitar Geeks thread

Guitar: ESP EX-50 with EMG 85 and EMG 81 pickups
    Bass: BC Rich Warlock

Amp: 15-watt Line6 Spider II (crappy, I know)

Years Played: 1

Judging from the type of guitars (and possibly my avatar) you probably guess I play metal.. and you are right. I haven't played in a while though because I fell down some stairs and screwed up my ring and middle finger of my fretting hand (alcohol was involved).

I am hoping to have time in the fall to begin writing a one man Black Metal album a la Xasthur (probably not ambient Black Metal, but more traditional).

Comment

I sold off my electric stuff many moons ago but I kept my Bourgeois OM
      Years played - 20, off an on. Off lately.

Comment

Sold my Les Paul Custom and Ampeg V4 years ago. Played regularly for about 20 years. I still have an old Fender Musicmaster (my first guitar, circa 1969), a Les Paul copy, 50W home made amp, bunch of pedals and a Yamaha classical guitar. I don't play much these days.

Man I miss my Ampeg :(

DB

«That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

| |

Comment

I play acoustic.....just starting out (at 40 years old) I have a Takamine G series Acoustic Electric...that I rarely plug in as I am still sucking at it but am learning some more.
          You are not here merely to make a living. You are here in order to enable the world to live more amply, with greater vision, with a finer spirit of hope and achievement. You are here to enrich the world, and you impoverish yourself if you forget the errand. ~Woodrow Wilson

Comment

I'll sneak in this thread, even though I play bass and violin. ;)

Bass: 1998 Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray, black with maple neck & single humbucker pickup
            Violin: 1991 Robert Benedetto (who's more known for his archtop hollowbody guitars but made violins for a few years)
            Amp: 1982 Mesa D-180 Bass Amp (this was the precursor to the D400 line)
            Cabs: Ampeg B-410HE (4x10) Cab + Ampeg 1x15

Years played: Violin - ~16, Bass - 20
            Last edited by Beatnik; 08-14-2007, 11:51 AM.
            Beatnik

Comment

Originally posted by Beatnik View Post
              I'll sneak in this thread, even though I play bass and violin. ;)

Bass: 1998 Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray, black with maple neck & single humbucker pickup
              Violin: 1991 Robert Benedetto (who's more known for his archtop hollowbody guitars but made violins for a few years)
              Amp: 1982 Mesa D-180 Bass Amp (this was the precursor to the D400 line)
              Cabs: Ampeg B-410HE (4x10) Cab + Ampeg 1x15
              Is a violin hard to play? I always wanted to play one, even more so after listening to a Korpiklaani but don't want to spend $170-$200 dollars on something I am not going to be able to play.

Comment

Originally posted by Zoopy_T View Post
                Is a violin hard to play? I always wanted to play one, even more so after listening to a Korpiklaani but don't want to spend $170-$200 dollars on something I am not going to be able to play.
                Yeah, it's extremely hard to play. I played from age 5 until 21 (and was actually pretty good), set it down for 10 years, and just picked it up again 9 months ago. It was exceedingly frustrating for the first few months, as I was spoiled playing bass with its giant strings and frets, and had forgotten just how awful you can sound playing a note(s) just a 1/4 step off. :)

If you consider picking it up, I'd recommend getting lessons through a local music store or craigslist - it's very easy to pick up bad habits on the violin, probably moreso than any other stringed instrument.

EDIT: That Korpiklanni is some crazy ****.
                Last edited by Beatnik; 08-14-2007, 12:35 PM.
                Beatnik

Comment

I've been a guitar player for about 20 years, though I started at age 6, I didn't truly become a player until about age 12. Played in rock bands, jazz bands and bluegrass bands until I started to raise a family and became tired of hauling gear and playing gigs. Since living out west, I almost solely play acoustic bluegrass of all kinds (yes, there are many kinds).

My biggest influences in bluegrass (aside from the classics) are Tony Rice, Norman Blake and Bela Fleck.

Acoustics:
                  '99 Martin HD28 LSV - basically a vintage HD28 reissue with a large soundhole and a large, undecorated neck.
                  ~'80 Yamaha F-series solid top - knockaround guitar
                  ~'70's Lyle 12-string 'hummingbird' (Gibson copy)
                  Martin backpacker (just for fun)

Electrics:
                  '90 Fender '52 Telecaster reissue
                  '70's Gibson L4 imitation - unknown maker, great old archtop

Amps:
                  '?? Fender Blues Jr. 15W
                  '88 Roland JC120

For visiting players:
                  Tacoma M4 Mandolin
                  5-string Aida banjo

Comment

Fender P-Bass 60th anniversary model.

Takamine acoustic 70's vintage
                    Fender tikicoustic (Just loved the paint job)

Mostly use guitar rig for sound these days.
                    Do or do not, there is no try....
                    -- Yoda, Dagobah

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...