White Light, Black Rain: The Destruction Of Hiroshima And Nagasaki

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• White Light, Black Rain: The Destruction Of Hiroshima And Nagasaki

OMG, I just watched this. I think this was the hardest thing I have ever watched in my life. I figured the least I can do is watch it and have those mental images permanently burned into my memory, since those people had to actually live it. Don't play with nukes boys and girls.

http://www.hbo.com/docs/programs/whitelightblackrain/

Re: White Light, Black Rain: The Destruction Of Hiroshima And Nagasaki

After seeing so many mushroom clouds it becomes almost cold and scientific, until you see some of those paintings and realize what kind of misery they're really capable of in warfare.
    Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
    Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Comment

I need to watch this. I have HBO On Demand.

I wonder if my Japanese teacher would watch this. I can't imagine her doing that and at the same time I don't want her to either.
      RX-78-2 Gundam EFSF Protoype Close Combat Mobile Suit Armor: Luna Titanium Armament: 2x Beam Sabers, 2x 60mm Head vulcan guns 380mm Hyper bazooka, Beam Rifle, Beam Javelin, Hyper Hammer, Gundam Hammer, shield
      TG Natural Selection admin. Need anything PM me.
      7th Infantry FTW!!!!!
      "Snob? Nah...I consider myself more of a PC Evangelist...converting the heathens to The Way." Prophaniti
      "Windows is like Pokemon you gotta catch'em all." kenshinsama1

[tg-c1]

Comment

WELL worth your time to watch this.

Sarcoma
        Sarcoma.

Comment

I wish that I could watch this - I've heard about it.

It is so incredibly important to learn lessons from the atrocities that humans can wage upon one another in the course of history. These bombings, chillingly effective as they were for the Allied/US forces, are second only to the Nazi Holocaust in terms of damage to innocent civilians in 20th century warfare.

Any lessons that can be learned by all sides to avoid anything like these events in the future are invaluable.

Comment

I watched part of it the other day and was completely engrossed. I had to leave so I haven't caught the rest yet but I did record it.

Comment

While the two nuclear bombings during WWII are definetely things that hopefully never have to be repeated they probably saved more civilian lives than they took. An extended bombing campaign that would have taken place before the invasion of Japan might have taken more lives on its own. Not to mention the number of military deaths that would have taken place during the ground occupation.

And the number of lives lost in both bombs pale in comparison to the numbers that died due to Japanese war crimes during WWII. WWII in general was a terrible war for any country that had ground fighting or aerial bombardments.

The thing that makes nuclear weapons horrific is how quickly they are able to kill and do so in large areas. Hopefully they will never be used again in hostilities. I think after their use in WWII most developed nations only see them as necessary evils to have to keep other nations in check.

Unfortunately as technology keeps becoming easier to come by, the day that not a nation but a individual would hold this power gets closer. Mutually assured destruction does not apply when only a individual or even a small group can be held accountable.
              |TG-12th| Sawviper

Comment

We only remember the Atomic bombings but the fire bombings of Tokyo, etc killed and destroyed alot more.

(watching it now) It is very similar to "When the Levees Broke." by Spike Lee. The events are told by the people that were there.

I only spoke about it with my sensei once thus far. I am not sure if I want to bring this up.
                RX-78-2 Gundam EFSF Protoype Close Combat Mobile Suit Armor: Luna Titanium Armament: 2x Beam Sabers, 2x 60mm Head vulcan guns 380mm Hyper bazooka, Beam Rifle, Beam Javelin, Hyper Hammer, Gundam Hammer, shield
                7th Infantry FTW!!!!!
                "Snob? Nah...I consider myself more of a PC Evangelist...converting the heathens to The Way." Prophaniti

[tg-c1]

Comment

I have been to Hiroshima, and that place bar none is probably one of the most stricking places I have ever been. And I have been a fair number of places. It is so very surreal, not only seeing everything and trying i imagine it...but then seeing the mordern city now and it's residents carrying on life as nothing happened there. If you think that documentary does not hold back you should go the museum there. Seeing a whole wall of little kid pictures draw in crayon of the black rain, and people drinking it because the radiation poisoning from the blast made them thirsty. That or the section of steps that has a dark shadowy spot where someone was burned into the stairs.

Ya after going through that museum you definitely become anti-nuclear, that or you are not human.

Comment

I wonder how much they cherry picked the beginning.

I hope they had to cherry pick that. For those that have yet to see it the crew goes around and asks japanese mmm young adults (I think) what happened on August 6, 1945.

It's too depressing to think they have forgotten already.
                    7th Infantry FTW!!!!!

[tg-c1]

Comment

Originally posted by AMosely View Post
                      These bombings, chillingly effective as they were for the Allied/US forces, are second only to the Nazi Holocaust in terms of damage to innocent civilians in 20th century warfare.

Absolutely incorrect. The death toll for WW2 was roughly 72 million, with around 47 million of them civilians. 20 million of these died as a result of famine or disease. As far as civilians killed by fighting, many were killed by conventional strategic bombing of urban centers, an unfortunate but unavoidable side effect of disabling the enemy's ability to create more weapons, vehicles, munitions, fuel, etc. A significant number were also killed by invading armies heedless of civilian casualties(Germans invading Russia, Russians invading Germany, Japanese invading China ) . That's not even the same ballgame. The 20th century has also been full of wars that America was never involved in, and most Americans are thusly ignorant of them.

Compared to the Halocaust, or the civilian casualties of China, French Indo-China, Indonesia, Poland, or the Soviet Union, the death toll of Hiroshima and Nagasaki was relatively small, approx. 220,000 including radiation exposure deaths. Despite popular myth, radiation deaths and lasting effects were minor. Of course, it cannot be denied that the scope of the death and destruction is magnified by the fact that it was inflicted with only a single(Tiny, by standards established not a decade later ) bomb on each target. The psychological effect of this on any of us, even simply by watching footage of the event and aftermath, is great(Increased by an exaggerated fear of radiation ) .

The constant rationalization of dropping these bombs, that they saved more Japanese and American lives, remains very likely true. The invasion of the mainland would have been painful beyond any other campaign undertaken during the war. The Japanese people would also have suffered starvation on a scale that had last occurred in post-WW1 Europe, rocketing the death toll further still. Though it seems to me foolish to think that they will never be used in warfare again, we had best work to avert it for as long as possible. Little Boy And Fat Man are laughable even compared to what we were churning out back in the 50's(Castle Bravo, anyone? ) . Still, if it is any comfort, the emphasis for a long, long time in development has been the miniaturization of the tactical nuke, and the minimization of fallout, not to blow away half the earth and irradiate the rest in a single blast.

As to the documentary, I have previously seen it, and I enjoyed it. I would recommend it to anyone, though I'm relatively sure that we're all crapping our pants at the idea of nuclear war already. If your interest is in nuclear weapons, then I can further recommend "Trinity and Beyond: The Atomic Bomb Movie" . More understanding and(Factual ) knowledge of these weapons cannot go amiss.
                      Life in Bogota is a lot like a big box of Colombian chocolates. You never know when you'll get blown up by the FARC.

Comment

Originally posted by Silas Ender View Post
                        If your interest is in nuclear weapons, then I can further recommend "Trinity and Beyond: The Atomic Bomb Movie" . More understanding and(Factual ) knowledge of these weapons cannot go amiss.
                        Ha! I first saw that movie at Apophis' house!
                        Become a supporting member!
                        Buy a Tactical Duck!
                        Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                        TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

War sucks. I'd rather be vaporized by an atomic bomb than have to wait my turn behind my family for the hammer/machete combination favored in the Rwandan civil war.

Tar and feathering would've been a crappy way to go too.

Getting shot in the stomach with a gargantuan lead slug in the American Civil War was pretty painful, or so I read.

Then again, being one of the unlucky few stuck with radiation poisoning would suck big time.

Starving to death in Mao's "Great Leap Forward" must've been the suck as well. Historians estimate the death toll from the Great Leap at around 20-40 million, or 100 to 200 times the number killed in both of these bombings combined. I wonder if you went around the streets of Beijing asking Chinese people their feelings on it, what they would say? You'd probably be arrested. I doubt anyone would know what you're talking about in the first place.

How would you feel if Atlanta still had an annual day of silence in remembrance of its razing under Sherman? What if Germany had a remembrance day for it's defeat at Stalingrad? Sorry, I just don't get it. What good would it do for Japanese people, or any people, to cling on to their darkest hours?
                          Last edited by Nikolas; 08-15-2007, 02:29 PM.
                          A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

"$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

Comment

Originally posted by Silas Ender View Post
                            Absolutely incorrect. The death toll for WW2 was roughly 72 million, with around 47 million of them civilians. 20 million of these died as a result of famine or disease. As far as civilians killed by fighting, many were killed by conventional strategic bombing of urban centers,
                            Indeed - I did not communicate my point very well and it was stated incorrectly. I was trying to say that it stands second to the Holocaust as a singular entity as opposed to a death toll for a war, or theater of a war. Of course I also realize that the Holocaust was not one single event either, but a collection of tradgedies.

So it goes.

Comment

Originally posted by AMosely View Post
                              These bombings, chillingly effective as they were for the Allied/US forces, are second only to the Nazi Holocaust in terms of damage to innocent civilians in 20th century warfare.
                              You forgot WWII's eastern front and the Iran-Iraq war. I'd say this certainly ranks at #4 though.

-Zephyr
                              You were once like the newbie who needed a hand from above and TacticalGamer gave you it.

You owe the newbie who comes after you that same outstretched hand from above on your honor as a Tactical Gamer.

Tactics at TG come from trust and friendship, not meticulous detail and rigid discipline.

Everyone should be assumed mature until proven otherwise.

We are no clan.
                              We are not a single game.
                              We are mature, intelligent, and cooperative individuals.
                              We are TacticalGamer, a community above and beyond its name.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X