Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nothing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Nothing

    Continuing on from the creation thread, I was talking about bhuddism and their belief that this world is just a construct of our collective imagination. So if that is the case and we are shaping our world then that must mean it is a figment of our imagination, right? If that is the case then we are actually made of nothing, and just a projection of our mental selves.

    Take any object, like a cup. The cup is hard and your hand cannot pass through it. But the cup is made up of mostly nothing. This nothing comes from atoms. here is an atom.



    Now add up all the empty space and theres more nothing than there is something. But each part of those electrons and protons - are they made mostly of nothing too?

    When we see we see in 2D, it is our brain that makes the image 3D (and turns it the right way up). So whilst we think we see with our eyes, we actually see with our brain.

    So that means most of everything is actually made up of nothing and all stuck together by attraction, or we're living in a computer simulation - did anyone read that article? - if not here it is http://www.simulation-argument.com/matrix.html

    And on another note.

    When we hear, we do so because sound vibrates the air. If that air hits our eardrums, it vibrates that and we hear the noise. So why do we not hear the noise up close at our ear? We hear the noise from the source - weird.

    ;)
    Jex.


  • #2
    Re: Nothing

    Originally posted by jex
    When we see we see in 2D, it is our brain that makes the image 3D (and turns it the right way up). So whilst we think we see with our eyes, we actually see with our brain.
    Kinda Matrixesche. I'll just hit on the fact: You see in 3D because you have two eyes pointed in the same direction which gives you depth preception. With one eye, the world is pretty flat.

    When we hear, we do so because sound vibrates the air. If that air hits our eardrums, it vibrates that and we hear the noise. So why do we not hear the noise up close at our ear? We hear the noise from the source - weird.
    Spatial Recognition allows your brain to analyze the vibrations from both ears and extrapolate (through experience) where a sound is coming from. With only one ear, this can't happen.

    The whole theory about life being all imagination has been around for a while. I use it a lot when we used to get into religious discussions and the third party has put up a wall of ignorance. The whole theory is usually based around: I know I exist, but I can't prove anything else really does. Therefore, everything else had to have been created by me and I just made you say that. Then the Matrix came along and had Fishburne tell us that we're all Duracells.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Nothing

      Originally posted by jex
      Continuing on from the creation thread, I was talking about bhuddism and their belief that this world is just a construct of our collective imagination. So if that is the case and we are shaping our world then that must mean it is a figment of our imagination, right? If that is the case then we are actually made of nothing, and just a projection of our mental selves.

      Take any object, like a cup. The cup is hard and your hand cannot pass through it. But the cup is made up of mostly nothing. This nothing comes from atoms. here is an atom.



      Now add up all the empty space and theres more nothing than there is something. But each part of those electrons and protons - are they made mostly of nothing too?

      When we see we see in 2D, it is our brain that makes the image 3D (and turns it the right way up). So whilst we think we see with our eyes, we actually see with our brain.

      So that means most of everything is actually made up of nothing and all stuck together by attraction, or we're living in a computer simulation - did anyone read that article? - if not here it is http://www.simulation-argument.com/matrix.html

      And on another note.

      When we hear, we do so because sound vibrates the air. If that air hits our eardrums, it vibrates that and we hear the noise. So why do we not hear the noise up close at our ear? We hear the noise from the source - weird.

      ;)

      I'm sorry..did someone say something??? no wait...is was just nothing! :icon12:

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Nothing

        Furthermore,,,I'm gonna stop paying my mortgage....since its for nothing....and the bank prolly can't see it anyway !!! :icon19:

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Nothing

          To continue on that thought pattern, can we prove that we even exist in the first place? The best I can do is prove my own personal existence, but only to a certain extent. Can I prove that YOU exist? Nope. You could just as well be a figment of my imagination.

          And what makes the color blue "blue"? What defines blue? How do I know that *I* identify as blue is the same color YOU identify as blue? What if what you see as blue I personally call green? How can we prove we see the same thing?

          I love and hate those sorts of questions. They're completely impossible to resolve, and a blast to try.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Nothing

            Originally posted by =luna=
            And what makes the color blue "blue"? What defines blue? How do I know that *I* identify as blue is the same color YOU identify as blue? What if what you see as blue I personally call green? How can we prove we see the same thing?
            Mini Mot knows what blue is cuz I taught him!!! :icon19:

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Nothing

              ahhh... and to take the "atomic" relation further:

              the atom itself is always in motion, and it's parts really don't touch any of the other parts. That said, even collections of atoms, when "chained" together into molecules, don't really "touch" each other, but simply vibrate and attract each other along certain lines. So If I "touch" the keys on the keyboard, do I really "touch" anything, or are all the electrons just pushed close enough together to give the sensation of touch? What decides what that "touch" should feel like?


              And as for the eyes. Our eyes are unable to view certain ranges of light. What else is there that we cannot see? How are we assured that our eyes are not doing something to what is actually out there, displaying to us what we Think we should see, rather than what is out there? (think middle of the night, sit bolt upright in bed, you SWORE you saw something move, the mind is a powerfull thing)

              Even then, what is thinking? Really. How can you tell if you are thinking? Is there a physical observation that can be made to prove you are thinking? Is it electrical, is it chemical? What casuses the electrical/chemical reactions to take place? Is that the basis for thinking, or is it something else?

              think on that
              :)

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Nothing

                Originally posted by =luna=
                .

                And what makes the color blue "blue"? What defines blue? How do I know that *I* identify as blue is the same color YOU identify as blue? What if what you see as blue I personally call green? How can we prove we see the same thing?
                .
                lol... being colorblind, I LOVE this one .

                ;)


                and yes, rainbows and sunsets are fricken spectacular!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Nothing

                  So frijole, when colorblind, what color do you see in replacement of the colors you cannot see?

                  And who's to say that you're really *colorblind*? Maybe you just can't differentiate between all of the possible colors. The grey you see may be the fuschia I see.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Nothing

                    Originally posted by =luna=
                    So frijole, when colorblind, what color do you see in replacement of the colors you cannot see?

                    And who's to say that you're really *colorblind*? Maybe you just can't differentiate between all of the possible colors. The grey you see may be the fuschia I see.
                    Actually there's a form of "colorblindness" that prevents distinction of shades. My father worked with a guy who passed all the tests to be a pilot except that one. He can see ROYGBIV but he can't tell the difference between Kelly Green and Christmas Green. After twenty years of his house-painter father yelling at him for bringing him the Powder Blue instead of the Sky Blue and such, the poor guy finally understood what the problem was.

                    I sometimes think my husband has a similar problem because he's been claiming for 4 years now that non-stick pots and pans look and feel exactly the same as uncoated metal. (I gave up and got rid of any metal cooking utensil we had and I've almost broken him of cooking with basic forks.) To me, Teflon and its siblings look, feel, and visibly react differently from stainless steel (e.g. beading up water); but apparently--with the best will in the world--they don't look or feel different to him, even with his latest glasses prescription. *shrug*

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Nothing

                      Originally posted by =luna=
                      So frijole, when colorblind, what color do you see in replacement of the colors you cannot see?

                      And who's to say that you're really *colorblind*? Maybe you just can't differentiate between all of the possible colors. The grey you see may be the fuschia I see.
                      You have to be careful with the terms. I can't speak for Frijole, but I'm color-deficient. Color-blind people see shades of gray. Color-deficient see all the colors, but see them in a wierd way. I am red-green color-deficient. Trying to tell red-green apart is has hard as most people have with black and navy blue. It also affects red-brown, orange-yellow, purple-blue. It really depends on the shade and distance of the color for me. I might not tell you the same color 3 times in a row either. I'll give you a for instance. When I see your standard red-yellow-green traffic light... I usually see yellow-yellow-white. As long as they keep to the standard, I'm fine. Turn it on it's side and it could get interesting. Single flashing red or yellow? I usually just stop and make sure I'm not going to get hit. Passengers know to tell me the color if they don't want me to stop for a yellow.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Nothing

                        In terms of being insignificant we really are nothing, single cell bacteria adapting to our environment, competing for nourishment, developing tolerances to what might squirm our way, in one end and out the other, slowly spreading until we saturate our pitre dish of medium and begin to exterminate ourselves (start to?). We are nothing and our lives mean nothing but damn is it ever great to have lived and perceive our respective realities such as they are. Here's to all the great individuals who have proven that they rise to the top of the slime and became a little more than nothing in the grand scheme of things. Those that changed our way of life, those that inspired us to achieve greater things, those that followed their hearts in times of great adversity and met challenges head on, and to everyone passionate enough to believe to their death the credo they represent. Here's to all of you and I do mean all of you because no matter how divided we seem, within these forums or within our world, there is no seperating our lives or how we live them. It truely is the best of times and the worst of times, may your god bless us all because we need all the help we can get being nothing.

                        Love, DeRanger
                        Last edited by DeRanger; 08-02-2004, 06:43 PM.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Nothing

                          I need an oscillation overthruster..

                          10 points to whoever knows (without Googling) where that comes from.
                          Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Nothing

                            Teenage Cheerleaders Science Lesson?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Nothing

                              Apophis: Buckaroo Banzai in some damn dimension.



                              Did have to google for correct spelling.

                              Now I really have no life.
                              "Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity."

                              -

                              Comment

                              Connect

                              Collapse

                              TeamSpeak 3 Server

                              Collapse

                              Advertisement

                              Collapse

                              Twitter Feed

                              Collapse

                              Working...
                              X