Why indeed...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why indeed...

Okay, I saw this on /. earlier today and it's been a pretty strong topic of discussion around work today. I thought it'd be interesting to hear what you all think of it.

There is a website on the internet promoting other websites to block users of the internet browser Firefox. http://whyfirefoxisblocked.com is that website.

They provide code for web developers to put into their websites redirecting any potential viewer who is using the firefox browser to that website.

The grounds for this? Ad Block Plus, a plugin to the firefox browser that allows users to block advertisments from appearing on web pages.

Before I start spouting my opinion on the matter, I'd instead like to hear a bit of discussion on the ideals of that webpage.

In the end I don't really believe it will accomplish anything, but it really fascinates me.

I'm sure someone here has some thoughts...
    RAWGRLRLRLRRLGLRL!!!

Nations are like individuals: they achieve more when they plan to plant a tiny tree, and do it, than when they propose to raise an entire forest and then fall asleep in the furrows.

I AM socializing artard, I'm logged on to an MMORPG with people from all over the world and getting XP with my party using Teamspeak

Re: Why indeed...

That is harsh! I just hate it when sites don't support Firefox. I have Windows Vista, and the first thing I put on it was FF. I just don't trust IE.
    "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

so that website doesnt even show up for firefox users... which is a little counter-intuitive. I want to know why[its blocked]...but I cant because I'm blocked? Fine..screw it and them! I'm using adblock... you know why? I don't mind static advertisements...even a little moving is ok by me. Its when the ads started to TALK (the first one I saw was the talking smiley face one) was what pushed me over the edge. You dont like that I use firefox? Fine, then dont make talking, annoying ads. Period.

Comment

If a site blocks firefox because I might load ad blocker on it, the site had better be serving up some awesome content or they can rot. This sounds like small-timers reacting to a business decision with silly emotion (insisting on how things "should" be) instead of the time-proven method of adjusting to meet the customers' expectations.

Comment

Originally posted by section-8 View Post
          so that website doesnt even show up for firefox users... which is a little counter-intuitive. I want to know why[its blocked]...but I cant because I'm blocked? Fine..screw it and them! I'm using adblock... you know why? I don't mind static advertisements...even a little moving is ok by me. Its when the ads started to TALK (the first one I saw was the talking smiley face one) was what pushed me over the edge. You dont like that I use firefox? Fine, then dont make talking, annoying ads. Period.
          Actually I had thought the exact opposite earlier today when I tried going to the site with IE; it was unable to display. My guess, several hundred little dos attacks on the website.
          RAWGRLRLRLRRLGLRL!!!

Nations are like individuals: they achieve more when they plan to plant a tiny tree, and do it, than when they propose to raise an entire forest and then fall asleep in the furrows.

I AM socializing artard, I'm logged on to an MMORPG with people from all over the world and getting XP with my party using Teamspeak

Comment

Preventing someone from seeing your site flies in the face of every known philosophy of Internet commerce. People spend millions on metadata, optimization and gaming the search statistics to get people to their sites in the first place.
            In game handle: Steel Scion
            sigpic

Comment

This doesn't really seem logical to me. Say you're a webmaster, one viewer might have that ad-blocker, but if your site is visible to him he may go on and turn 10 other people, say 8 of which who don't. Is it really worth it to cut out a small percentage of total viewers just for the sake of a few measly dollars when those viewers could generate a lot more money overall by recommendation alone? I don't think so. Someone needs to send those people back to economics 101. Which, by the way, I never went to.

Comment

This is natures way of weeding out the stupid.
                Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
                - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
                - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
                - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
                - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
                - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
                - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

just imagine how the interweb would be if they did that to IE sights. Cleaner, safer and better. If they want block me from looking at their sight becuase of FF then its not worth looking at and there is always 2 more that will gladly take my business
                  that sounds like a good idea trooper.
                  -Vulcan

Comment

Good luck to them!!!

:D
                    Do or do not, there is no try....
                    -- Yoda, Dagobah

Comment

A list of all the sites that link to whyfirefoxisblocked.com:

http://www.google.com/search?as_lq=w...om&btnG=Search
                      Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

There ARE a few sites blocking it.... namely his own;
                        www.jacklewis.net
                        www.dannycarlton.com

there is an interesting discussion on mozilla concerning this, in fact it was posted by the same guy.
                        https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...ID=3060&page=1
                        RAWGRLRLRLRRLGLRL!!!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X