wikipedia: DHS deletes 9/11 conspiracy theory article

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wikipedia: DHS deletes 9/11 conspiracy theory article

Someone at the department of homeland security deleted the (quite large) wikipedia article on 9/11 conspiracy theories.

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?...oldid=76993086

user: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:63.162.143.21

Re: wikipedia: DHS deletes 9/11 conspiracy theory article

Is this legal?

I thought the internet was a lawless land much like the American Southwest in the mid 1800's.
    "Dirtboy is super awesome, and chicks dig him too!"- Everyone

Comment

Heh, I gave up on most conspiracy theories. Also, that was one huge, ugly edit. It's wikipedia, anybody can edit an article, right? Besides its not like you can't find the exact same theories anywhere else on the Internet, in the bookstore, and in the media.

This doesn't raise a lot of red flags for me, but it would have if they put a big:

IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH
      at the top of it.
      Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
      Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Comment

? It still works for me. link

Comment

Someone restored it within the last 15 minutes then.

Comment

Its all a conspiracy!

They want you to think it was removed to get you believing that it was a conspiracy...then for a good joke, they added it back in just for you to think you were crazy.

They aint fooling me!;)
            "Dirtboy is super awesome, and chicks dig him too!"- Everyone

Comment

Originally posted by aeroripper View Post
              Heh, I gave up on most conspiracy theories. Also, that was one huge, ugly edit. It's wikipedia, anybody can edit an article, right? Besides its not like you can't find the exact same theories anywhere else on the Internet, in the bookstore, and in the media.

This doesn't raise a lot of red flags for me, but it would have if they put a big:

IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH
              at the top of it.
              Wikipedia, for all its shortcomings, is a thriving socially driven force for educating. 9/11 conspiracies given so much careful consideration on wiki provides a level of credibility to the notion. Even if an individual disagrees, the information is placed on a intellectual platform for consideration and debate.

For a department of the US government to delete information available on this public venue because it is counter to an official stance is absurd and almost seems incriminating.

You say you're not concerned because they didn't replace it with a big IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH?... As far as I'm concerned that's exactly what they did.
              |TG|Switch

Better known as:
              That noob who crashed the chopper.
              That noob who ran over the mine.
              That noob who TK'd me with a sniper rifle.
              That noob who hit that APC at 300m with light AT! Our APC...

Comment

Originally posted by Switch View Post
                Wikipedia, for all its shortcomings, is a thriving socially driven force for educating. 9/11 conspiracies given so much careful consideration on wiki provides a level of credibility to the notion. Even if an individual disagrees, the information is placed on a intellectual platform for consideration and debate.

For a department of the US government to delete information available on this public venue because it is counter to an official stance is absurd and almost seems incriminating.

You say you're not concerned because they didn't replace it with a big IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH?... As far as I'm concerned that's exactly what they did.
                Well, ask yourself a few questions before you allow this to feed into your hostility towards the big bad horrible government.

Did "a department of the US government" delete the information or did an individual working for a department of the US government.

Was the change sanctioned/ordered by a department of the US government or was it done by an annoyed employee.

How are you able to ascertain the motive behind the modification of the content? If you *know* that it was done because it was "counter to the "official" stance", where did you get that information?

I find it horribly ironic that citizens of the United States of America easily leap to extremes in judgment without ANY evidence whatsoever while condemning the government for doing the very same thing in issues such as the war in Iraq, detainees in Guantanamo Bay, etc.

I've not browsed your posting history before writing this, so I'm not sure if you're one of those people that point fingers at the government for this sort of thing, but I've seen plenty of it with other US citizens for it to be incredibly annoying.
                Last edited by Apophis; 08-27-2007, 10:24 AM.
                Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

Wikipedia exists in a strange state between official resource and vapid entertainment. While Apophis is right that it is just as likely that an individual made the edit in a moment of spare time spite at a DHS computer, there have in fact been very organized, carefully planned rewrites to Wikipedia. See the scrubbing of the Fox personalities bios or the frequent state-level political edits. Most of those, however, bear the hallmarks of marketing language or legalese and can be easily identified once you know what you're looking for. This whole cloth edit looks like someone goofing off at work.

Which is not to say that the DHS doesn't have an eye on Wikipedia anyway. They do, after all, trade in information gathering, cultural intel, propaganda and information warfare.
                  In game handle: Steel Scion
                  sigpic

Comment

Well whoever this user within the DHS network is, he sure has a few complaints from Wikipedia:
                    • November 2005

Please stop adding nonsense to Wikipedia. It is considered vandalism. If you would like to experiment, use the sandbox. Thank you. —Cleared as filed. 22:03, 30 November 2005 (UTC)

October 2006

Warning for violating 3RR

You were in violation of the WP:3RR in your edits to The Wire (TV series) both under this address and as 63.162.143.5. Ordinarily you would be blocked for 24 hours, but since I added a period to a sentence in the article between reverting your edits, I will let you off with a warning. In the future, do not reproduce these changes without discussing them on the talk page. Thank you. Andrew Levine 16:15, 17 October 2006 (UTC)

Your change to the page Caligula was determined to be unhelpful and has been reverted or removed. Please use the sandbox for any tests you want to do. Take a look at the welcome page if you would like to learn more about contributing to our encyclopedia. Thanks.--Barbatus 21:36, 27 October 2006 (UTC)

April 2007

Please do not add unhelpful and unconstructive information to Wikipedia, as you did to Washington. Your edits appear to be vandalism and have been reverted. If you would like to experiment, please use the sandbox. Thank you. Nic Waller 08:13, 1 April 2007 (UTC)

Please stop. If you continue to vandalize Wikipedia, as you did to Washington, you will be blocked from editing. Nic Waller 08:34, 1 April 2007 (UTC)

May 2007

Please do not add unconstructive information to Wikipedia as you did to The Players Band. 204.90.118.3 14:54, 22 May 2007 (UTC)

June 2007

Welcome to Wikipedia. It might not have been your intention, but your recent contribution removed content from Budget. Please be more careful when editing articles and do not remove content from Wikipedia without a good reason, which should be specified in the edit summary. Take a look at the welcome page to learn more about contributing to this encyclopedia. If you would like to experiment again, please use the sandbox. --Tλε Rαnδоm Eδιτоr 18:19, 5 June 2007 (UTC)
                      If this is a shared IP address, and you didn't make any unconstructive edits, consider creating an account for yourself so you can avoid further irrelevant warnings.

July 2007

Please do not add unhelpful and unconstructive information to Wikipedia, as you did to Jason Feinberg. Your edits appear to be vandalism and have been reverted. If you would like to experiment, please use the sandbox. Thank you. Lradrama 11:39, 6 July 2007 (UTC)

Welcome to Wikipedia. Thank you for experimenting with the page John Wayne, and for reverting your edits. Please take a look at the welcome page to learn more about contributing to our encyclopedia. If you would like to experiment again, please use the sandbox next time. - Alison ☺ 20:44, 26 July 2007 (UTC)
                    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                      Well whoever this user within the DHS network is, he sure has a few complaints from Wikipedia:
                      I did look at the IP address history. But once again, it's impossible to tell if that was all one user or multiple users. It is likely that DHS workstations sit behind firewalls and HTTP proxies which would impede identification of a single user vs. multiple users.

Comment

Originally posted by Steeler View Post
                        Which is not to say that the DHS doesn't have an eye on Wikipedia anyway. They do, after all, trade in information gathering, cultural intel, propaganda and information warfare.
                        I'm sure individuals within DHS do keep an eye on it but I'm still hesitant to cry conspiracy theory and assume that because an edit came from a DHS IP address that it's some sort of organized cover-up.

Comment

If DHS thinks that deleting Wiki articles will cover anything up, then they're just as stupid as we all thought they were :p

And no, I very much doubt that DHS would delete Wikis as a matter of policy.
                          A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

"$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

Comment

Originally posted by Apophis View Post
                            I did look at the IP address history. But once again, it's impossible to tell if that was all one user or multiple users. It is likely that DHS workstations sit behind firewalls and HTTP proxies which would impede identification of a single user vs. multiple users.
                            You are absolutely spot on, Apo...I don't work for DHS but I can assure you this is the case for many government agencies.
                            LoyalGuard

Comment

Originally posted by Apophis View Post
                              I'm sure individuals within DHS do keep an eye on it but I'm still hesitant to cry conspiracy theory and assume that because an edit came from a DHS IP address that it's some sort of organized cover-up.
                              I don't think anyone has cried conspiracy. Switch called it "almost incriminating", but I think his other word for it -- "absurd" -- covers everyone's thoughts pretty nicely.

Conspiracy be damned; it's just stupid for a DHS IP address to be connected to the deletion of an issue at the core of the DHS.
                              [volun2]
                              NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
                              Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
                              <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
                              <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X