Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anonymous: Do you own, or have you ever shot a gun?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anonymous: Do you own, or have you ever shot a gun?

I heard on the radio that there are 800 million known guns in the world and that US Citizens own almost half of all privately owned guns: http://www.smallarmssurvey.org/files...summary_en.pdf

Icky's thread about his friend makes me wonder how many people here have even shot a gun.

The poll will be anonymous. If you want to add any more information, feel free to post.

I own several handguns and a shotgun. I plan on buying a rifle as soon as it fits into the budget (read: as soon as I can convince the wife...). How 'bout you?
    Yes, I own at least one firearm and I go shooting regularly.
    26.02%
    Yes, I own at least one firearm, but I rarely go shooting.
    21.14%
    No, I don't own any guns, but I love to go shooting and/or do it often.
    9.76%
    No, I don't own any guns, but I've been shooting a few times in my life.
    28.46%
    No, I don't own any guns, and have never been shooting, but I'm open to the idea!
    10.57%
    No way, no how. I don't like guns at all and avoid being near them.
    4.07%
    Become a supporting member!
    Buy a Tactical Duck!
    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
    TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Re: Anonymous: Do you own, or have you ever shot a gun?

There's no poll!

All I know is that England has more gun crime now, after total gun prohibition, than it did before gun prohibition. Yay prohibition! Zomg hijack!
    A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

"$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

Comment

Patience, grasshopper!
      Become a supporting member!
      Buy a Tactical Duck!
      Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
      TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Yes, I own a scoped hunting rifle and have experience with other firearms. However, I rarely go shooting as the D.C. area has a lack of ranges. I have to hike to either the nearest base or the NRA headquarters.
        Last edited by Silas Ender; 08-29-2007, 07:19 AM.
        Life in Bogota is a lot like a big box of Colombian chocolates. You never know when you'll get blown up by the FARC.

Comment

mostly just been rifle shooting with the RAF. I don't own a gun, but I don't think I'd really want to either. Regardless of the fact that I'm too young too.
          <<<<Magic!!

-F- Concr3te: "Brutus, goddammit, shut up!"

Comment

ye brutus what have you fired with the RAF? SA80? LSW?? Any of the british infantry weapons?

Comment

Suppose you could call me a "Gun Collector" :D

I have;

Weatherby Vangaurd chambered in 300 Weatherby Mag, thats my preffered hunting rifle
              Remington 742 Semi Automatic 30-06 hunting rifle.
              Ruger P89 9mm
              Para Ordinance .45 ACP compact (very new, can't remember the model)
              Browing BPS 12 Gauge with an engraved receiver, nicest gun i own.
              Phoenix .22 Semi Auto sub compact pos handgun

so i have a few =). as for ammunition i only have a total of 400-600 rounds or so, I buy all my stuff before i go to the range generally

Comment

I have a few rifles and handguns as well.

Taurus .380 ACP
                Colt Trooper .38 Revolver (My father's old police sidearm)
                Remington Model 700 .308
                Ruger 10/22 Bullpup Conversion
                Marlin Model 60 .22 (A piece of junk)
                Mossberg 500 Shotgun
                Remington 870 Shotgun
                NORINCO SKS 7.62mm

Almost all of my firearms are broken down these days. The only one that remains assembled and/or accessible is the .380 ACP and that's locked in a safe along side a loaded magazine.

I used to go shooting quite regularly. There is a place about 15 minutes down the road that my brother and father used to go twice a week for our skeet shooting competition. It was just a family/friends deal and we would go all the time. In the other direction is a DEM managed range where I would go just to stay sharp with the rifles.

The SKS has never been fired and I don't anticipate it ever will be.
                Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

Most likely he will have fired a cadet GP, which is effectively an SA80 without the SUSAT and with the gas canister removed (so it cannot be fired on full automatic). He possibly will have fired an LSW as well, if he could get to the front of a no-doubt long line of kids wanting to fire on full auto.

When I was in the cadets I fired both of those weapons. What I like about cadet training is the amount of respect the teach you to have for the weapon. I cannot count how many times I've fully stripped and cleaned those weapons. It's weird how natural it can feel to handle weapons like that, and how nervous you are when 4 years later as a cadet Sergeant you have to oversee them.

More regularly I used a .22 rifle for competition shooting. I captained the school team in a national competition. We came 96th, which I thought was crap, but apparently it was the highest we'd ever come.

Comment

I've gone shooting a few times with real rifles and pistols, but I do not own any as I do not know of a nearby suitable range to go to regularly. Used to shoot BB guns all the time as a kid though.
                    |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

What I know of gun owners would indicate that while there are 800 million guns in the USA, there are likely only 125 million or so gun owners. Guns seem to be like tattoos or potato chips: it's hard to get one and only one.

For the record, I'm one of those "don't own but have fired" folks in the poll. My wife's family shoots clay pigeons out on some farmland they own whenever a group gets together. I smoked 'em all, thanks to my Nintendo skillz.
                      [volun2]
                      NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
                      Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
                      <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
                      <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

Of course I own a gun! That is not to say that I got rid of most of them due to having kids, but now they are getting older, I am starting to get some more again.

Mossberg 500a Shotgun
                        Ruger M77 .243
                        Glock 19
                        LMT MRP-CQB (AR-15) 5.56, with extra 10” barrel and 6.8 conversion kit
                        "The chief foundations of all states, new as well as old or composite, are good laws and good arms; and as there cannot be good laws where the state is not well armed, it follows that where they are well armed they have good laws." -Machiavelli

Comment

I used to own:

Winchester defender
                          Browning Hi-Power
                          M-14

I used to participate in local IPSC competitions 20 years ago. I still have my reloading books :D

DB

«That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

| |

Comment

i have

colt .45 revolver, blued barrel (collector's gun)
                            glock 19-9
                            weatherby olympian over/under 12ga trap gun (i am an avid trap/skeet shooter)
                            remmington sp-10 3&1/2" chamber 12ga shotgun (black composite stock and grip... light as a feather)
                            winchester .270 deer rifle
                            winchester 7mm WSM
                            ruger 10-22
                            my first gun... a lever action 30-30 with a hammer
                            and a RED RIDER BEEBEE GUN (20 pump .177)