Japan's internet 8x - 33x faster than US, also cheaper

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Japan's internet 8x - 33x faster than US, also cheaper

While Japan builds the next couple waves of innovation the US is sticking it's head into the sand and allows telecom giants to maximize profits before driving the ship into the sand.

Japan's Warp-Speed Ride to Internet Future
    Washington Post (08/29/07) P. A1; Harden, Blaine
    Japan has the world's fastest Internet connections, and delivers more data at a lower cost than anywhere else in the world. In fact, broadband service in Japan is between eight to 30 times faster than in the United States and much less expensive. Faster Internet speeds in Japan, South Korea, and much of Europe will lead to Internet innovations that are likely to remain unavailable in the United States for many years. The high Internet speeds in Japan allow Internet users to watch broadcast quality, full-screen television over the Internet while all most Americans can access are wallet-sized, grainy images. Other Internet applications in Japan currently unavailable to Americans include low-cost, high-definition teleconferencing, which has been used by doctors in urban areas to diagnose patients, and advanced telecommuting. Analysts say Japan's advancement is largely due to better wire and more aggressive government regulation. In 2000, the Japanese government compelled its large phone companies to share wires with startup Internet providers. As competition grew, the cost of broadband in Japan fell by about half and broadband speed increased 33-fold. In 1996, a similar measure to allow access to phone company lines was strongly endorsed by Congress, but federal support fell through in 2003 and 2004 when the Federal Communications Commission and a federal court ruled major companies do not have to share the share phone or fiber lines with competitors, and the Bush administration did not appeal the decision. "The Bush administration largely turned its back on the Internet, so we have just drifted downwards," says former U.S. diplomat to Japan Thomas Bleha.

Re: Japan's internet 8x - 33x faster than US, also cheaper

I have a 16Mb connection. While the wow factor would be cool, at what point does the usefulness of having a faster connection max? I can easily stream any audio or video. The only thing this would affect would be 1GB plus downloads as anything less is just a couple of minutes.

On the flipside, I think we should as a country be a little closer to par when it comes to connection speed, regardless of usefulness. Of course the faster connection could encourage new uses. I think that would be actual biggest benefit.
    |TG-12th| tHa_KhAn

XBL GT: Khan58

Comment

To be fair, the United States is larger than China, while I could fit Japan in my wallet. It's not as easy when you're working with such massive distances, across far more inhospitable or uninhabited territory than anything Japan has to offer.

Still, we need to get on the ball. At least we still have a 15~ year lead on most of the first world.
      Life in Bogota is a lot like a big box of Colombian chocolates. You never know when you'll get blown up by the FARC.

Comment

Originally posted by Silas Ender View Post
        To be fair, the United States is larger than China, while I could fit Japan in my wallet. It's not as easy when you're working with such massive distances, across far more inhospitable or uninhabited territory than anything Japan has to offer.

Still, we need to get on the ball. At least we still have a 15~ year lead on most of the first world.
        I was just going to say exactly this. Japan is smaller than California. Many transmission methods are dependent on the length of the wire it's riding on. There's a reason why you can only get DSL within a mile of one of the phone company's slicks. The signal quickly degrades with distance. The US will need more fiber to cross the vast distances in our country, and that goes back to what Silas said...
        Become a supporting member!
        Buy a Tactical Duck!
        Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
        TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality View Post
          I was just going to say exactly this. Japan is smaller than California. Many transmission methods are dependent on the length of the wire it's riding on. There's a reason why you can only get DSL within a mile of one of the phone company's slicks. The signal quickly degrades with distance. The US will need more fiber to cross the vast distances in our country, and that goes back to what Silas said...
          Interesting point. It all comes down to initial cost of the infrastructure. This would apply to all the European countries that have faster speeds as well. Obviously, the cost versus the benefit is not there for the U.S. yet.
          |TG-12th| tHa_KhAn

XBL GT: Khan58

Comment

Originally posted by tHa_KhAn View Post
            Interesting point. It all comes down to initial cost of the infrastructure. This would apply to all the European countries that have faster speeds as well. Obviously, the cost versus the benefit is not there for the U.S. yet.
            Some numbers. Look at the top 2 (internet usage by Region). Yet penetration is higher in North America.

DB

«That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

| |

Comment

Japan specifically: you have the world's largest metro area, with around 33 million people in greater Tokyo. I would bet that much of the content is generated and hosted right there in Tokyo. Beyond that, all you need is fiber connecting the other major metro areas, of which there are several. But all of them are oriented in a fairly straightforward north-south shot.

California alone is more difficult to wire. In this state we have decent sized cities or metro areas in Sacramento, Tahoe, San Fransisco/Oakland/San Jose, five or six cities all along the central coast, Fresno, Bakersfield, greater LA, OC, Riverside Metro, Palm Desert/Palm Springs, greater San Diego, and I'm sure I left some out. You have a spiderweb of major cities, no clear orientation, and vast deserted areas between them. Not cheap. You also have loads of small towns sprinkled throughout the entire state. Let alone Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico, Utah, Oregon, Idaho, and Washington. And that's just the west. We are just scratching flyover country with this list.

Or, you could just blame all of the greedy corporations.
              A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

"$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

Comment

Originally posted by THE ARTICLE OF DOOM
                The Bush administration largely turned its back on the Internet...
                Hey, it's better than the alternative.
                A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

"$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

Comment

Originally posted by tHa_KhAn View Post
                  What can I say - size matters!

I think fast internet speeds could enable a whole new wave of applications. Think editing your photos in the browser on a grid of currently unused computers. Hugely parallel applications would be possible because you could ship data back and forth easily. Universal healthcare - I mean universal internet might be easier too. Why have a hard drive? Just run any application from the vendor's site. Telepresence.

Comment

At least we still have a 15~ year lead on most of the first world.
                    Yet in France, you can get 8Mb DSL for less than $20/month (about 15€), 30Mb DSL for less than $70/month (50€), and the government is setting up free wi-fi access points on government-grade connections all over the country (though granted, it's happening faster in Paris than in Brest).

Originally posted by marstein View Post
                    Why have a hard drive? Just run any application from the vendor's site. Telepresence.
                    Heh. Pro-DRM companies would be having wet dreams right now.

Comment

Well here in Korea I pay $59 for 10Mb, and HATE MY ISP.

It is extremely shotty and it is pretty expensive. But you go to do what you got to do in order to play some TG:)

But online gaming is REALLY big here. They seem to like Starcraft way too much...its so bad that they have a channel here exclusively for watching Starcraft:(
                      "Dirtboy is super awesome, and chicks dig him too!"- Everyone

Comment

This is a false argument, as higher speed broadband has not come to our more densely populated areas like the coasts and the government already gave telecommunications companies 200 billion 10 years ago to update their infrastructures to the entire nation, which they have not done by the required time.

Distance from a main trunk is also a false argument as people don't get better speeds by trunks, it is the same crappy options all over for residential customers.
                        |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

Originally posted by xTYBALTx View Post
                          Hey, it's better than the alternative.
                          HAha, you're right... we'd be back on dial up if they started toying with our 'internets'
                          |TG|Switch

Better known as:
                          That noob who crashed the chopper.
                          That noob who ran over the mine.
                          That noob who TK'd me with a sniper rifle.
                          That noob who hit that APC at 300m with light AT! Our APC...

Comment

Wi-Fi for the community is such a scandal. Some cities in Texas have free wi-fi available to the public. In Corpus Christi, the city spent an insane amount of tax-payers' money on putting in this system they were sold on. It's in place, but it's horrible. Getting a connection is tough, staying on is even harder, and if you do get in, the speed is atrocious. I don't remember what the figures were, but one of my college profs told us that if they used the same amount of tax money to just hard wire everyone's homes and provided high-speed internet through say Time Warner, then everyone could've had free service almost indefinitely. Plus it would've worked.

So yeah, the government messing with our internet scares me. They mess up almost anything they get involved with.
                            "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

Originally posted by War.mongeR1 View Post
                              So yeah, the government messing with our internet scares me. They mess up almost anything they get involved with.
                              Well, you can thank the Department of Defense for creating it in the first place.
                              Life in Bogota is a lot like a big box of Colombian chocolates. You never know when you'll get blown up by the FARC.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X