Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Today's Goodie: Viacom issues DMCA takedown of an authors own content?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Today's Goodie: Viacom issues DMCA takedown of an authors own content?

Okay, so it's not ENTIRELY the authors own content. But anyway...

Christoper Knight decided to run for a seat on the Rockingham County Board of Education. As part of his campaign he produced a pretty cheesy (although amusing) video that ran on one of his local TV stations. In addition to putting the video on WGSR TV, he also put a copy of it up on YouTube for inclusion in his blog.

VH1 saw the video and decided to feature it on a show called "Web Junk 2.0". Chrisopher saw the piece and decided to take a clip of the show that featured his video and put THAT up on YouTube as well.

During this entire process, neither Viacom nor VH1 contacted Christopher to obtain the right to use the video. According to his blog, he didn't seem too upset about it though. So how does Viacom pay him back for using his video on their show? They issue a DMCA takedown notice to YouTube and has them remove the clip of THEIR show in which they are featuring HIS video!

Some comments on his blog suggest that he should take the VH1 video and post it back up on YouTube but this time add some commentary so he can claim the same "fair use" rights that Viacom apparently felt it was entitled to when using his video in the first place.

Don't you hate these media tyrants more and more every day?

Here are some relevant links for you:
    Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Re: Today's Goodie: Viacom issues DMCA takedown of an authors own content?

Don't you think this has more to do with the pissing match between Google (YouTube) and Viacom et al? Fact is that Google(YouTube) gets rich using other people's copyrighted material. Now if Mr. Knight posted the clip on his own website and received the letter he could probably tell Viacom to sit and spin.

Comment

Originally posted by leejo View Post
      Don't you think this has more to do with the pissing match between Google (YouTube) and Viacom et al? Fact is that Google(YouTube) gets rich using other people's copyrighted material. Now if Mr. Knight posted the clip on his own website and received the letter he could probably tell Viacom to sit and spin.
      That's certainly possible. They could have just taken this rather illogical hard line stance because the video was hosted by YouTube.

The hosting service for the video shouldn't really matter though. YouTube gets their revenue and their users get a place to host their video without incurring their own excessive bandwidth costs and distribution headaches.
      Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

It shouldn't matter but it does. I think Viacom and others see Google and YouTube creating billionaires using the material others created and others own, and I'm bet many legal departments have SOPs in place to put YouTube in the crosshairs first and then follow up later. As a practical matter, I don't see how media creators can chase YouTube videos around effectively if every case of (possible) infringement they find must receive full legal scrutiny before firing off the nasty gram.

YouTube's britches are big enough to tell Viacom to go to hell it if YouTube feels like sticking up for their customers: As we both know, a letter from a lawyer often means precisely dick. If YouTube chooses to stomp on its customers upon receipt of these silly letters and basically place the responsibility on the little guy to clear things up with Viacom....well I guess now that their former and current owners are billionaires they can afford to do that.

Comment

Originally posted by leejo View Post
          It shouldn't matter but it does. I think Viacom and others see Google and YouTube creating billionaires using the material others created and others own...
          You say that as if Viacom and the other major media congloms haven't been doing more or less the same thing for decades.

Not defending YouTube's business model, just saying. A letter from a lawyer means exactly dick, but to most people, major companies especially, intellectual rights other than their own mean less than dick. See the Orphan Works Act.

Anyway, the whole thing is pretty ridiculous.
          In game handle: Steel Scion
          sigpic

Comment

I hate Viacom for this very reason. What a bunch of tools. Why can't they be like NBC or the BBC who uses Youtube to their advantage? Those guys post lots of stuff on their own. It's good (and free) advertisement for their networks.
            "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

It's funny NBC uses YouTube, because they didn't like Cox "giving" away their HD channel for free, but then charging us users 10/month for HD box rental and not cutting them in on the deal. The letter I received from Cox essential said NBC gave them 3 options, Stop NBCHD, Pay NBC from the 10/month, or give the customers HD for free for real. Guess which option Cox chose? I hate it when NBC gets some big sporting event now.
              |TG-12th| tHa_KhAn

XBL GT: Khan58

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...