No announcement yet.

Finally - Abu Ghraib for American kids.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Finally - Abu Ghraib for American kids.

wow, how come it hasn' t been closed down lol!

Comment

I saw that. Talk about totally reprehensible. And lacking any psychological validity whatsoever.

Abu Ghraib is of course not an apt comparison at all, but the use of electric shock and other 'punishment therapy' by non-psychologists is disgusting. I really can't believe a facility like that exists.
      Beatnik

Comment

This sounds like a Law & Order episode. Seriously.
        In game handle: Steel Scion
        sigpic

Comment

From Here:
          In one of these I employed behavioral principles to eliminate a three year old girl’s behavioral problems, changing her from what some considered to be extremely spoiled, demanding and annoying, into a charming presence in the house.
          Yea, because I've met MANY three year olds that didn't exhibit those exact three symptoms. A three year old by nature is a whiny little brat. I don't have kids of my own, but my brother has 3 past the 3 year mark. They are little devils when left to their own devices.

The problem with subjecting a child that young to this form of "punishment" is that you're really only conditioning them, rather than teaching. And yes, there is a difference. There's a difference between understanding a "real world" punishment for adverse behavior and simulated punishment such as electroshock. A dog will never understand WHY peeing on the floor is a bad thing, but you can condition him to not do it. A child needs to learn with real world experience WHY something just isn't "kosher" in order to function effectively in society.

In reality, I blame the parents. And judging from some of the cases (one family dedicating an entire "wing" of their house. How many people here own houses which could describe a section as a "wing?") it's probably an issues of the parents themselves being rich and spoiled. Thus, they are actually surprised at the outcome of a child emulating them?

I am honestly surprised a teacher hasn't had a pen jammed into their neck, or even less violent responses. The restraint process they go through is probably more to protect the teachers than some half cocked idea that it's for the student's own protection.

Now, I didn't have to grow up disabled or with parents doing what they could to mess me up emotionally, so I don't know for certain how I would be as a person if that were the case: but at the age of 12-14, I would react extremely violently if pushed into a system like this against my own will. I might go in an emotionally screw-up kid, but would most likely come out as either a felon (from assaulting a "teacher") or a full-blown sociopath who would sever all ties with my family for subjecting me to this.

Just to sum it up, I'd throw them all in jail, along with the parents. Parenting is a responsibility. You don't just throw your kid (and a wad of cash) at a sociopath because your kid doesn't fit your definition of what you though it should be. Further, if one of these kids decided it'd be a good idea to retaliate, I'd be hard pressed to actually find him/her at fault.

Comment

Jesus, that's insanely appalling. We execute people for less. How is it possible that that place continues to exist? No human being could ever see that as appropriate. It just goes to show the total lack of respect for children continually exhibited by American culture. I hope those evil bastards get what they deserve. If you did this to "troubled" adults, you'd be thrown in prison for life if you were lucky. But of course, it's okay to do it with children. They're just property anyway.

Originally posted by TheFeniX View Post
            Just to sum it up, I'd throw them all in jail, along with the parents. Parenting is a responsibility. You don't just throw your kid (and a wad of cash) at a sociopath because your kid doesn't fit your definition of what you though it should be. Further, if one of these kids decided it'd be a good idea to retaliate, I'd be hard pressed to actually find him/her at fault.
            Indeed.

To be honest, I'm surprised with the relatively mild responses here. This is something out of Nazi Germany.
            Last edited by Silas Ender; 08-30-2007, 02:57 PM.
            Life in Bogota is a lot like a big box of Colombian chocolates. You never know when you'll get blown up by the FARC.

Comment

Originally posted by Silas Ender View Post
              It just goes to show the total lack of respect for children continually exhibited by American culture.
              This really isn't just an American way of thinking. Throughout my years on the Internet, I've seen stories and anecdotes about "Wild youth" and other trouble-making teens. It's in any culture that children are viewed as burdens. By their entire nature they are nothing but a drain until they reach the age of 18. NOTE: I'm taking out the emotional aspect of raising a new generation of humans, the joy of child-rearing, etc.

Adults generally tend to despise "free-loading" teenagers as punks and trouble-makers, no matter where you go in the world. And children below that are just a money-pit.

The real issue in America seems to be two-fold:
              1. The "Soccer Mom" recent mentality. They see news reports about kids doing drugs, the occasional school shooting (however tragic they may be, they are so rare as to not even really warrant their own statistic), and general civil disobediance. Most normal people would rely on existing laws and a teachers type mentality to handle the trouble-maker.

"Soccer moms" tend to rely on a DO SOMETHING NOW! type of mentality, and they vote. So, you get retarded laws based around this mentality because politicians want to stay in business.

2. Jealousy: Adults were young once, and now that's over. They get to see a new generation of kids able to do all the things they can't and it pisses them off. You get that whole "Back in MY day" routine. So, it's generally accepted that anything that doesn't kill them will make them stronger (and more mature, I guess). The problem is, kids just don't play ball.

This should be headline news, but the whole system seems geared towards parents with money shunning their "messed-up" kids to a system that will act in-loco parentis. Just don't be surprised at the results.

In reality, being a child is a discrimination everyone grows out of (literally), so it's not like they can change anything. It takes adults who understand how a child's mind works, and those people are in short supply. Statistically though, kids are no more messed up than they were 50 years ago.

Comment

This whole story screams "incomplete information" to me. When kids start dying at the school, usually law enforcement will take a look at it. So I have to believe there's something they aren't telling us here. There's also the chance the whole thing is a hoax.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerostasis View Post
                  There's also the chance the whole thing is a hoax.
                  Negative. I've heard about this place before. I know for a fact that it ain't a hoax.
                  Life in Bogota is a lot like a big box of Colombian chocolates. You never know when you'll get blown up by the FARC.

Comment

"... Skinnerian, behavioral approach..."

For all his research and the legacy he left, Skinner would have been imprisoned today for some of his experiments.

This school/program is sickening to me on many levels.

Sarcoma
                    Sarcoma.

Comment

My ex was a total nag... where do I sign her up?
                      |TG|Switch

Better known as:
                      That noob who crashed the chopper.
                      That noob who ran over the mine.
                      That noob who TK'd me with a sniper rifle.
                      That noob who hit that APC at 300m with light AT! Our APC...

Comment

Originally posted by Kerostasis View Post
                        This whole story screams "incomplete information" to me. When kids start dying at the school, usually law enforcement will take a look at it. So I have to believe there's something they aren't telling us here. There's also the chance the whole thing is a hoax.
                        Considering some of the teachers have been arrested, they were probably served up for the chopping block while insulating the "school" from any liability.

Comment

Ah, see the story didn't mention teachers being arrested. Any more incomplete information I should know about?

Comment

Yeah. It's all a big hoax, perpetuated by the liberal left.

Jeez.
                            Beatnik

Comment

Originally posted by Beatnik View Post
                              Yeah. It's all a big hoax, perpetuated by the liberal left.

Jeez.
                              I heard that President Clinton supported this school...
                              Become a supporting member!
                              Buy a Tactical Duck!
                              Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                              TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X