Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Negotiating With Terrorists

I recently came across the following summary/headline:

"The Taliban release the remaining South Korean hostages in return for South Korea withdrawing its 200 non-combat troops within the year and suspending missionary work in Afghanistan."

I just can't even come to believe how suddenly disgusted I am at the South Korean government. I, of course, value the lives of the innocents who were captured by the Taliban and subjected to the horrifying ordeals that continued up until their release, but to just see what has been sacrificed in the name of their protection shakes my sense of right and wrong.

Over the issue of 200 lives a fledgling nation has been stripped of much needed support. The confidence of the Taliban has risen immensely, knowing that they have, at least for particular countries, a strategy that has now been proven to cause swift removal of foreign interference to their aspirations.

200 lives have been saved now, but how many more will be kidnapped as well as die because of this exposed weakness?

Negotiating with terrorists is futile.

-Zephyr
    You were once like the newbie who needed a hand from above and TacticalGamer gave you it.

You owe the newbie who comes after you that same outstretched hand from above on your honor as a Tactical Gamer.

Tactics at TG come from trust and friendship, not meticulous detail and rigid discipline.

Everyone should be assumed mature until proven otherwise.

We are no clan.
    We are not a single game.
    We are mature, intelligent, and cooperative individuals.
    We are TacticalGamer, a community above and beyond its name.

Re: Negotiating With Terrorists

What exactly has been sacrificed? South Korea made a hard call...withdraw 200 non-combatants to save 12 of their own, or to continue putting their own people at risk to support what? Afghanistan is hardly a fledgling nation.

As far as I know Osama or the Taliban is not S. Korea's boogey man, they shouldn't feel obligated to "stay the course" simply because it's become our catch phrase of support.
    | | |

Comment

Yeah, to be honest, I'd be worried about a very different puny nation with its head up its ass right now if I were South Korea.
      The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. ~
      I have a tendency to key out three or four things and then let them battle for supremacy while I key, so there's a lot of backspacing as potential statements are slaughtered and eaten by the victors. ~
      Feel free to quote me. ~

Comment

god, afghan and generally the middle-east is in such turmoil at the moment. explosions almost everday, soldiers dying every day. If the afghan/iraqi people hate the taliban so much, why don't we teach/help train instructors, who can train the people, thus saving our soldiers lives in a pointless conflict which was all for oil in the first place, and not angering the iraqis/afghans so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Atomic Dog View Post
          What exactly has been sacrificed? South Korea made a hard call...withdraw 200 non-combatants to save 12 of their own, or to continue putting their own people at risk to support what? Afghanistan is hardly a fledgling nation.

As far as I know Osama or the Taliban is not S. Korea's boogey man, they shouldn't feel obligated to "stay the course" simply because it's become our catch phrase of support.
          Well, the current Afghanistan has only existed for a few years, so it's very much a fledgling government. But you're right, it was a hard call. If the US was involved in a humanitarian type mission that got ugly, I think a lot of Americans would want us to pull out, too.

Zephyr is right, too, though. No good can come from this. Al Queda and the Taliban are getting exactly what they want, including much, much more bargaining power.

Originally posted by 2 Para View Post
          god, afghan and generally the middle-east is in such turmoil at the moment. explosions almost everday, soldiers dying every day. If the afghan/iraqi people hate the taliban so much, why don't we teach/help train instructors, who can train the people, thus saving our soldiers lives in a pointless conflict which was all for oil in the first place, and not angering the iraqis/afghans so much.
          Are you serious? For one thing, Iraq and Afghanistan are two entirely different situations. In Iraq, we have a massive amount of training going on. I think almost all offensive operations are undertaken by Iraqi forces now. In Afghanistan, we're doing a limited amount of training, but our forces are concentrating on looking for OBL...

I don't think the Iraqi people care much about the Taliban one way or another... ;)
          Become a supporting member!
          Buy a Tactical Duck!
          Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
          TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

god, afghan and generally the middle-east is in such turmoil at the moment. explosions almost everday, soldiers dying every day.
            Your point being? So is the rest of the world, though you don't hear about 98% of it from internally focused American news. Also, duty in Iraq is far tamer than most are lead to believe. Hell, most military duty is far tamer than most are lead to believe.

If the afghan/iraqi people hate the taliban so much, why don't we teach/help train instructors, who can train the people, thus saving our soldiers lives
            Do you have any idea what you're talking about? As Cing said, the two conflicts are incredibly different and very much removed from one another. We are currently engaged in training and outfitting Iraqi forces on a massive scale. However, cowardice, lack of discipline, and an extreme level of corruption makes this a very difficult job. But, it must be done if we ever plan on putting the burden of security and defense on the Iraqis. Until then, we have no choice but to garrison and police the nation.

As far as Afghanistan goes, it is a small-scale mission primarily composed of military and civilian intelligence personnel, Special Forces, and small detachments of Marines(Primarily for security ) . While we do some training of natives there, it's not really in our interest to do more. Special forces and the intel guys are making friends and allies within the nation(Such as local warlords ), and use them to smoke out and/or destroy the enemy, as well as build a base of power. They are especially focused on high-level targets.

in a pointless conflict which was all for oil in the first place, and not angering the iraqis/afghans so much.
            Yeah, right.

Personally, I think it's pathetic that the South Koreans capitulated like that. They just handed Al Queda and the Taliban exactly what they wanted, and set a dangerous precedent. There are reasons why we do not negotiate with terrorists.
            Life in Bogota is a lot like a big box of Colombian chocolates. You never know when you'll get blown up by the FARC.

Comment

They gave the Taliban what they wanted, and they got what they wanted in return. South Korea really wasn't in a position to do much else, unless you can detail their political situation for me and demonstrate why it would be appropriate for them to allow twelve of their citizens to die at the hands of terrorists when they could easily have been preserved.
              The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. ~
              I have a tendency to key out three or four things and then let them battle for supremacy while I key, so there's a lot of backspacing as potential statements are slaughtered and eaten by the victors. ~
              Feel free to quote me. ~

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
              X