Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sen Craig - on the dangers of toe tapping and soliciting 5 from your stall neighbors

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sen Craig - on the dangers of toe tapping and soliciting 5 from your stall neighbors

So dos things about Sen Craig:

1) someone needs to come to TERMS with his own bad self and keep it real. Homeboy likes dudes. I mean REALLY likes dudes.

If he'd said that from the beginning, I'm sure the good people of Idaho would have...you know..hehe...nah they'd have kicked his ass to the curb but at least he'd be honest. Idaho - land of diversity and wild sexual experimentation! And potatoes!

2) Since when did toe tapping and asking the guy next to you to give you five become a crime? In fact, since when did hitting on someone become a crime? I'm at a loss there. Apparently he is alleged to have solicited sex from an officer, but I don't see anywhere that he said "hey man let's get it on right here right now in this public bathroom." For all the evidence shows, he might have been ready to whip out his mighty...no not that...AMEX and thrown down in the airport Hyatt.

I think his "truth" is that he is a gay American, he just hasn't come to terms with it yet. To quote fmr. Sen Frist "I am saddened" that in this day and age a gay man still puts himself through such mental anguish and gyrations to deny his own sexuality. I am also sorry that the R's have chosen to ride the fence in their condemnation of him: are they upset about his guilty plea?, his dishonesty?, his failure to give them a head's-up (or better!)? Who knows. Depends on your prejudice about the R's I guess.

But I am also a little weirded out that the police of Minnesota have decided that certain behavior in airport bathrooms is criminal but the same behavior in airport bars is fine. Sleazery issues aside, if I decide to chat up some lady in a bar and touch her foot with mine and hold my hand out to her palm up, have I committed a crime? If I do the same to another guy, do the cops assume that he and I are about to get busy in the nearest closet? What the hell?

It's all so pathetic.

Re: Sen Craig - on the dangers of toe tapping and soliciting 5 from your stall neighb

I wonder if anyone would have cared if it had happened between two ladies in the ladies room.

Comment

Re: Sen Craig - on the dangers of toe tapping and soliciting 5 from your stall neighb

Cared!? YES!!!

Comment

I know that I'm disgusted by Senator Craig's hypocrisy and dishonesty. I understand that it would've hurt his career and his family life if he had come right out and told the world that he's gay, but, like you said, how can you put yourself through that kind of torture?

And I'm curious about the law that the Senator is alleged to have broken, too. I can understand a "disturbing the peace" or "disorderly conduct" charge for bothering somebody in the next stall.

Comment

I'm pretty sure I've "disturbed the peace" and bothered someone in the next stall. But I think the burden is on the offended to request a metaphorical "courtesy flush" before one can say the offending has committed a crime.

Comment

Here's some sound clips from the press conference afterward. Definitely not helping his cause...

I am not gay...

Never had been gay...

It was reported that he said this, but we don't know.
            sigpic

Formerly of the fabled 3rd Special Forces Detachment

"On that day half a century ago, our species was pushed to the crumbling edge of extinction. And as we teetered on that precipice, staring down into the abyss, a hand reached out, pulled us back from the brink, and gave us hope... the hand of a Hero."

Comment

Save us from the sex police. Consensual sex between adults should not be a crime even it is in a public place. The police need to focus on more pressing crimes like DUI's, armed robberies, murders, and real sex crimes like rape. Talk about a waste of resources.

The only crime Senator Craig should be charged with is being a hypocritical SOB. The man was one of the leading bigots in the Senate and ironically is being charged with a law that he would have supported or written himself.

I certainly won't condone his behavior but he should not be charged with a crime. Sounds like he needs help and has some repressed feelings.
              |TG-9th| TheFatKidDeath
              "Born to Party, Forced to Work."
              - Check me out on The Onion
              - I'm on the local news!

Comment

Originally posted by TheFatKidDeath View Post
                Consensual sex between adults should not be a crime even it is in a public place.
                If you try to have sex in front of my kid, I'll grab the garden hose and hose you down like the animal you are.

I agree that consensual sex shouldn't be a crime, nor should meeting a stranger in a bathroom for that specifically (although that's nasty). But actually having sex in public is completely different.

Comment

Save us from the sex police. Consensual sex between adults should not be a crime even it is in a public place.
                  Uhm, sorry, but I really don't want to see two guys going at it in the mens room, so I'll have to disagree with you there.

Should the Cops actively be seeking them out? Well, kinda depends on how many complaints there have been, but in general I tend to think their time could be better spent.

Comment

I was wondering how long it would take the Sandbox to pick up on Senator Craig.

I think there's a general lack of information on the facts of the case here though. Lets see if I can help out any.

When Senator Craig was arrested, several months ago, he was charged with a misdemeanor "invasion to privacy". Its a very minor crime, and he probably would have had a decent shot at fighting it in court if he had tried.

But the mere fact of going to court over soliciting sex in a mens room would have meant instant media coverage over the possibility that Senator Craig was gay (which he obviously was), and there was no way he could ever get reelected in that state if it was publicly known that he was gay. So instead of fighting the charges, he pled guilty, paid a small fine, and got the whole thing over with in an afternoon, hoping no one would ever find out about it.

His plan actually worked pretty well, for awhile. The guilty plea was over three months ago, and no one mentioned anything about it until last week. Even his own wife didn't know he'd been arrested! Then finally some media outlet got a whiff of it and thought they had a pretty good story, since "republican senator solicits gay sex" is always a really fantastic headline to lead with. (Somehow, "democratic senator solicits gay sex" just doesn't have quite the same ring to it. That would never make front page news.)

So why did he resign? Because the entire rest of the Republican party told him he had too. I'm not entirely clear of the "why" on that one, because being picked up for a misdemeanor is certainly not a justification for recalling a Senator. It seems to have a lot more to do with his sexual orientation, even though thats not actually a crime. Mostly I think none of the other Republicans wanted to be publicly associated with defending his activities from the inevitable media avalanche of "hypocrisy" calls, so they all raced to distance themselves from him as fast and far as possible. I'm pretty disappointed that not only did Republican party leaders not make any attempts to showcase the doublestandards inherent in the case, they actually helped propagate them. But there you have it.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerostasis View Post
                      I'm pretty disappointed that not only did Republican party leaders not make any attempts to showcase the doublestandards inherent in the case, they actually helped propagate them.
                      Thus the hypocrisy cries... And why a Democrat wouldn't make the news in the same way...
                      Become a supporting member!
                      Buy a Tactical Duck!
                      Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                      TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Listening to the post arrest interview makes me think there was more going on. You could tell the cop smelled blood and was going in for the kill. Why was he so insistant about the senator admitting he was soliciting anonymous gay sex. He knew the guy was a senator and he has a public reputation to uphold. And he just wasn't going to admit to something so detrimental. Unfortunately I don't think upholding the law was the motive for the line of insistent questioning. Either it was anti-gay sentiment or a political hit job.

http://rawstory.com//news/2007/Polic...raig_0830.html
                        Last edited by Hambergler; 09-03-2007, 10:54 AM.

Comment

I find it rather telling that not a single one of his 'colleagues' expressed sympathy for the man during what is obviously a cataclysmic event in his life, whether he is homosexual or not. I understand that with an election year coming, the party must distance itself from any type of perceived wrongdoing, but there is an obvious human side to this story. This is a very sad situation, but from the news coverage and sound bytes it seems no different than a corruption scandal. That's a real shame.

Another thought - why does this sort of thing (in the closet, denial when caught) always seem to happen to republicans? It's not a random trend, but I don't completely understand it. I have my theories, but I'll save them for another time.

Comment

Save us from the sex police. Consensual sex between adults should not be a crime even it is in a public place.
                            Whoa, whoa stop the sex train! (no pun intended..lol...yes it was) First of all, sex is illegal in public for all manner of decency and public health reasons. Also, I (probably) just don't want to see that. That being said...you say 'sex police' and I ask myself why in all the bathrooms in all of Minnesota was one cop doing in that EXACT stall to be able to catch one guy. There are two possibilities (as far as I can tell):
                            1: That particular bathroom has become a popular meeting place for dudes to meet up and get it on (btw, this falls under the aforementioned probably) or
                            2: Sen. Craig had been soliciting sex in so many places that he was being baited.

So if the former is true, alright...the MN cops have successfully put a stop to what is probably a major public health hazard. If the latter is true, damn dude... use craigslist. This guy seriously needs to get a handle on himself.

If there are any other possibilities...please, suggest them. And please dont think that I'm against a little public... boot-knockin. Just be SMART about it.

Comment

My feeling is that the police overstepped their bounds. More specifically this nations current morality/security kick has given the police, and the government, way more power than they need.

The Republicans initially gained from this deal with the devil. They proclaimed themselves the moral choice and many voted for them. Voted to boot the "immoral"/"anti-religious"/"un-patriotic" Democrats.

Now the devil is collecting it's due. Why is anybody surprised or outraged? When you act like you are better than others you are going to get slammed when everybody finds out you are, in fact, just like everybody else. When you create morality police that treat everybody as guilty before proved innocent this kind of thing is going to happen.
                              Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
                              - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
                              - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
                              - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
                              - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
                              - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
                              - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X