Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steve Fossett Missing?

Wow.

It appears they are searching for his small plane in some rough terrain in Nevada.

Nobody knew where he was going?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20588788/?GT1=10357
    sigpic

Re: Steve Fossett Missing?

Who saw this coming?

(couldn't help myself... I hope they find him alive)

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

-Benjamin Franklin

Comment

He might entered the no flight zone near area 51, and just before a ufo passed by some anti air rockets shoot him down.

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyStrike View Post
        (couldn't help myself... I hope they find him alive)
        Me too. We need to have eccentric wealthy people to do some of this stuff.
        sigpic

Comment

Holy COW! He's done quite a bit.

Fossett has an application pending before the U.S. Bureau of Land Management for a permit in Eureka County to attempt to break the land-speed record of 766.6 mph.

In 2002, Fossett became the first person to fly around the world alone in a balloon. In two weeks, his balloon flew 19,428.6 miles around the Southern Hemisphere. The record came after five previous attempts some of them spectacular and frightening failures.

It is among dozens of firsts claimed by Fossett in his life as an adventurer, which he embarked on after earning a fortune as a financial trader.

He set marks for speed or distance in balloons, airplanes, gliders, sailboats even cross-country skis and an airship, according to his Web site. In March 2005, he became the first person to fly a plane solo around the world without refueling.

Fossett also has experience as an outdoorsman, climbing some of the world's best-known peaks, including the Matterhorn in Switzerland and Mount Kilimanjaro in Tanzania.

He also swam the English Channel in 1985, placed 47th in the Iditarod dog sled race in 1992, participated in the 24 Hours of Le Mans car race in 1996 and broke the round-the-world sailing record by six days in 2004.
          sigpic

Comment

I'm sorry to say this, but he might be dead at this point. It's been quite a few days since he went missing in the desert. Unless his plane has a good stock of water and food, we might just find a rotting corpse.

I'm crossing my fingers in hoping he is found alive. If not, his family is going to be devastaded.
            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
            TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
            Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
            Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

They are even asking for people to pour over recent satellite photos in an effort to find him.

http://slashdot.org/articles/07/09/08/2018228.shtml

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                I'm sorry to say this, but he might be dead at this point. It's been quite a few days since he went missing in the desert. Unless his plane has a good stock of water and food, we might just find a rotting corpse.
                I would say that the chances are very high that he is dead. He had communications devices and never used them. There really aren't many ways to explain that.
                Peace through fear... since 1947!

Comment

I have to admit I found it surprising that it is not required to file a flight plan for visual flight rules flights. Perhaps privately licensed pilots and the dedicated souls that do search and rescue would be better served for new regs requiring flight plans for ALL flights.

Sure the chances you will go down is low, but if it turns out that Fossett crashed and is dead (which he probably is) but later is discovered that he survived the initial crash (assuming he is ever found) but later succumbed to injury or lack of water or food AND could have been found if rescuers knew where to focus their efforts then it would be worth the extra paper filed.
                  LoyalGuard

Comment

he is the right guy to get lost though, survival experience and such, I have hope he will be walking into somebody's house or wave down a plane... if not, great guy

Comment

Originally posted by loyalguard View Post
                      I have to admit I found it surprising that it is not required to file a flight plan for visual flight rules flights. Perhaps privately licensed pilots and the dedicated souls that do search and rescue would be better served for new regs requiring flight plans for ALL flights.
                      The FAA just can't handle the workload - and that is one of those things that have always been that way.

There have been a large number of advances in the private sector to handle the 'what-if' factor. When I fly, I think every small aircraft we have has a locator beacon, and as I understand it, Fossett even had a PLB (personal locator beacon). Well, as we all have noticed by now, no signals have been noted.
                      sigpic

Comment

Could this be a publicity stunt? Or his retirement?
                        Become a supporting member!
                        Buy a Tactical Duck!
                        Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                        TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality View Post
                          Could this be a publicity stunt? Or his retirement?
                          No he had two scheduled events coming up that he could retire after - or during. Publicity? He's never been an outgoing publicity hound.. he's always kind of just done things in his own time, way and means - the publicity followed. He left things like publicity to guys like Sir Richard Branson and the like - they can generate their own buzz with or without him.

I think I wish it were a stunt or retirement.
                          sigpic

Comment

I was just thinking...

If he is indeed wealthy, would he not be able to afford a satelite phone? I mean, if I was rich and I knew flying alone would be very dangerous, I'd carry around a satelite phone in case something should happen.

I don't put much faith in locator beacons, since they tend to be a passive measure against loss. Plus it wouldn't ease my mind to know that I can't communicate with someone if I get lost and have to rely on them locating me through a beacon (which may break down).
                            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                            TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                            Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                            Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                              I don't put much faith in locator beacons, since they tend to be a passive measure against loss. Plus it wouldn't ease my mind to know that I can't communicate with someone if I get lost and have to rely on them locating me through a beacon (which may break down).
                              I'm not sure what you have in mind when thinking of a locater beacon, but it is a bazillion times less likely to break than any cell phone or sat phone.
                              Become a supporting member!
                              Buy a Tactical Duck!
                              Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                              TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X