Top Hilary Donor skips country

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top Hilary Donor skips country

Norman Hsu, a major fundraiser for the Hilary Clinton campaign, has failed to appear in court for a bail hearing this morning. He forfeits $2 Million in Bail he posted last week after it was revealed he had been a fugitive from justice for the last 16 years following conviction for charges on Grand Theft. Court officials point out that he was allowed to keep his passport after posting bail, and he is suspected to have fled the country.

Hilary was quick to announce she plans to donate to charity all campaign funds given to her by Hsu. Not included in this total is all campaign funds raised by Hsu but not arriving directly from his bank accounts. Hsu is also suspected of dodging campaign finance laws by routing excess donations through poor families to avoid the caps on maximum donations by a single person -- these "alternate" donations are also not included in the amount returned by Hilary.

:icon_eek:

Re: Top Hilary Donor skips country

I think I heard that Obamah got some of his money also.

With regard to the money raised, but not given, by Hsu. Personally if I had given to a campaign through somebody that turned out to be a crook I would be quite angry if that money went instead to charity instead of the campaign.

I think the best thing Hillary (or any politician) could do in this case would be to contact the original doner and ask them what they wanted to do.
    Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
    - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
    - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
    - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
    - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
    - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
    - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Originally posted by El_Gringo_Grande View Post
      I think I heard that Obamah got some of his money also.
      A little, yes, but not much. The Hillary campaign got at least 10 times as much. All the other campaigns receiving funds from Hsu made similar "donation to charity" promises.

With regard to the money raised, but not given, by Hsu. Personally if I had given to a campaign through somebody that turned out to be a crook I would be quite angry if that money went instead to charity instead of the campaign.

I think the best thing Hillary (or any politician) could do in this case would be to contact the original doner and ask them what they wanted to do.
      I can accept that position on raised funds. I'm not particularly worried about fundraisers where Hsu happened to be the Promotional Speaker or something like that. Whats much more worrisome is the allegations of financing activity that would be illegal even if Hsu wasn't already running from other charges, the stuff about dodging campaign finance laws. This amounts to more than $200k just in known cases. Link1 Link2 (Registration required for the 2nd link, its just there in case anyone doubts the 1st link for being "just a blog".)

Comment

Well I think donating it to charity is probably the best option. It'd be almost criminal to say that donating any money to charity is a bad move. I think to contact the donor, while nice, is probably an incriminating view to the public.

Comment

Do a sense a certain sense of jealousy in the mirrored counterpost? ;)

The primary difference between the two stories is that I am now less likely to vote for Mitt Romney as a result, while I was never gonna vote for Hillary anyway. So in the sense that Hillary's qualifications as a candidate can't really get any worse than they already are, I suppose the Romney fundraiser story is somewhat more newsworthy.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerostasis View Post
            The primary difference between the two stories is that I am now less likely to vote for Mitt Romney as a result, while I was never gonna vote for Hillary anyway. So in the sense that Hillary's qualifications as a candidate can't really get any worse than they already are, I suppose the Romney fundraiser story is somewhat more newsworthy.
            This is why I laugh every time I hear someone attack Barrack Obama because he doesn't have enough "experience" to lead this country effectively. And considering that "experience" and "corrupt" are pretty much synonymous in American Politics, I don't know whether to keep laughing or start crying. Maybe I should do both.

To bad the man has absolutely insane Gun Control ideas.

I don't care what crack-pot third party candidate is on the polls in 2008. Unless some Democratic candidate who actually has a spine and isn't trying to garner brownie points with soccer moms by harping Gun Control comes onto the scene, I'll vote third party just to break from the mold.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerostasis View Post
              Do a sense a certain sense of jealousy in the mirrored counterpost? ;)
              I would never vote for Hillary or Romney. Just evening out the scandal scoreboard. Honestly, it bores me at this point.
              In game handle: Steel Scion
              sigpic

Comment

Political campaigns can only be financed by the people the political party/candidate will work for. The people, i.e. our taxes. Otherwise it's corruption and we pay many more times in bad laws, subsidies, policies.

Comment

How does this in anyway indite Hillary? I'm just wondering. If I was given donations for my campaign I wouldn't be doing background checks on the money given to me. I know it's bad press for Hillary, but why?

Comment

Update: Hsu has just been arrested in Colorado. I'm surprised, I would have figured he'd have gone back to China as long as he was fleeing anyway, but he only went a few states over. The arrest was made by the FBI, who are now preparing to turn him over to the California justice system.

I'm too much half-asleep to give your question a proper answer tonight, Sirus. I'll try and answer tomorrow if someone else doesn't beat me to it.

Comment

Sirus, I think both Hillary, Romney, and all the other candidates who end up with these sorts of finance scandals usually aren't themselves guilty, but the campaign organizations they nominally lead are tarnished, which reflects poorly on their leadership. There are cases, such as DeLay's K street project and the whole Abramoff affair, where politicians are directly involved in known illegal or quasi-legal financing, but when you have a fundraiser 3 or 4 levels removed from the actual candidate, it's more of a PR disaster. How do they handle the bad press from having a felon in their organization? Do they take steps to cleanse the rest of the campaign of potential bad eggs?

Really, the modern political system is such that you never get the sense that these people are in charge of their own houses. They are just vehicles for party consultants and operatives to raise money and gather influence.
                      In game handle: Steel Scion
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by marstein View Post
                        Political campaigns can only be financed by the people the political party/candidate will work for. The people, i.e. our taxes. Otherwise it's corruption and we pay many more times in bad laws, subsidies, policies.
                        When I compare to Belgium, your statement is correct. AFAIK, in our country a party with 5% of the votes has "made the cut" and will receive funding from the taxpayer. Any money donated to politicians and used for campaigning is considered corruption. The us lobbying system looks quite foul from that perspective. Unfortunately the European commission and parliament seem to increasingly influenced by lobbying in a way similar to the us. It shows in cases about copyright, music an such where powerful lobby's are active.

In the end I'd rather legalize marijuana than bribery :).

Comment

Originally posted by Steeler View Post
                          Really, the modern political system is such that you never get the sense that these people are in charge of their own houses. They are just vehicles for party consultants and operatives to raise money and gather influence.
                          Well, we are talking about a system where laws are voted in not based upon their relevancy, but either along partisan lines or how it will affect a politician's career.

If most of them won't bother doing research into their actual job, why would they care where the money is coming from, as long as it keeps coming?

Comment

Originally posted by TheFeniX View Post
                            "experience" and "corrupt" are pretty much synonymous in American Politics
                            No. "Career politician" and "corrupt" are absolutely synonymous in American politics.
                            The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. ~
                            I have a tendency to key out three or four things and then let them battle for supremacy while I key, so there's a lot of backspacing as potential statements are slaughtered and eaten by the victors. ~
                            Feel free to quote me. ~

Comment

Originally posted by ednos View Post
                              No. "Career politician" and "corrupt" are absolutely synonymous in American politics.
                              Aren't we really just splitting hairs though? I would think it's safe to assume that those with the most experience are most likely career politicians anyways.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X