Boys Cast Out by Polygamists

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boys Cast Out by Polygamists

This is amazing. It's on the same level I think as the girl abortions in India and China
    Woodrow Johnson was 15, and by the rules of the polygamous sect in which his family lived, he had a vice that could condemn them to hell: He liked to watch movies. ...
    Over the last six years, hundreds of teenage boys have been expelled or felt compelled to leave ...

Disobedience is usually the reason given for expulsion, but former sect members and state legal officials say the exodus of males — the expulsion of girls is rarer — also remedies a huge imbalance in the marriage market. Members of the sect believe that to reach eternal salvation, men are supposed to have at least three wives.
    First, these "christians" throw their own kids out, then apparently it is being done to give those that stay back a better chance to get married. In addition they need three wives to get the ticket to the happy afterlife.

... how the expulsions usually happen: “The leaders tell the parents they must stop this kid who is disobeying the faith and Warren Jeffs. So the parents kick him out because otherwise the father could have his wives and whole family taken away.”
    So the whole thing is driven by the priesthood caste too. It keeps getting better.

The problem of surplus males worsened in the 1990s when the late prophet Rulon Jeffs, Warren Jeffs’s father, took on dozens of young wives — picking the prettiest, most talented girls, said DeLoy Bateman, a high school teacher who watched it happen.
    And the reason is that the priests need more wifes for themselves. Good that we have equal rights here and slavery has been abolished - after all no married women would let herself be 'assigned' to another husband; or no parent would let their daughter be married by the local priest.

But the best thing is: this happens right here - in the US! And this is not from the Onion or SNL, it's from the NY times: Boys Cast Out by Polygamists

Re: Boys Cast Out by Polygamists

When boys are born more frequently than girls, on average, how else are you supposed to get multiple girls for each boy except by getting rid of most of the boys? Makes perfect sense to me. :)

Assuming, of course, that you buy in to the whole theory about each guy needing 2 or 3 girls in the first place...

Comment

I think the government should stay out of marital affairs. And I think polygamy should be decriminalized immediately. As far as I know, throwing out your 15 year old son on the street is child abuse and against the law. I don't know what it has to do with polygamy. Shunning is a popular past time in almost every religion. I guess it makes an interesting news story if you present all these things together.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerostasis View Post
        When boys are born more frequently than girls, on average, how else are you supposed to get multiple girls for each boy except by getting rid of most of the boys? Makes perfect sense to me. :)

Assuming, of course, that you buy in to the whole theory about each guy needing 2 or 3 girls in the first place...
        Dude, two or three girls are for sissies. It's all about five or six.
        A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

"$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

Comment

Originally posted by xTYBALTx View Post
          Dude, two or three girls are for sissies. It's all about five or six.
          Oh come on dude, stop limiting yourself to the single digits.

Seriously though, I don't care much for having polygamy be the crux of the story. Who cares if they marry more women, the real issue is that they're throwing their children out into the street, effectively. So, I say, lets get the government on them for child abuse.

Polygamy is fine if you can support it...and more importantly...can deal with it. I doubt pretty much any old advantages of polygamy now outweigh the disadvantages.

You think one significant other can get on your nerves? Look up how annoying and hyper competative court life was for women in ancient polygamist societies.

-Zephyr
          You were once like the newbie who needed a hand from above and TacticalGamer gave you it.

You owe the newbie who comes after you that same outstretched hand from above on your honor as a Tactical Gamer.

Tactics at TG come from trust and friendship, not meticulous detail and rigid discipline.

Everyone should be assumed mature until proven otherwise.

We are no clan.
          We are not a single game.
          We are mature, intelligent, and cooperative individuals.
          We are TacticalGamer, a community above and beyond its name.

Comment

You can have more children. That's pretty significant.
            A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

"$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

Comment

Originally posted by Hambergler View Post
              I think the government should stay out of marital affairs. And I think polygamy should be decriminalized immediately. As far as I know, throwing out your 15 year old son on the street is child abuse and against the law. I don't know what it has to do with polygamy. Shunning is a popular past time in almost every religion. I guess it makes an interesting news story if you present all these things together.
              I agree. You should definitely be able to sell your 12 year old daughter to be "married" to some 58 year old sleaze ball like these FLDS lowlifes are doing. In fact, I'll take it one step further. You should be able to sell your 5 year old to some disgusting old piece of **** with 12 wives. He can help her with her kindergarten homework!

The system in place in Nothern Arizona and Southern Utah is disgusting, brutal and backwards to the Nth degree. They already have Jeffs locked up but the **** is still going on. It's absolutely disgusting.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Buckets View Post
                I agree. You should definitely be able to sell your 12 year old daughter to be "married" to some 58 year old sleaze ball like these FLDS lowlifes are doing. In fact, I'll take it one step further. You should be able to sell your 5 year old to some disgusting old piece of **** with 12 wives. He can help her with her kindergarten homework!

The system in place in Nothern Arizona and Southern Utah is disgusting, brutal and backwards to the Nth degree. They already have Jeffs locked up but the **** is still going on. It's absolutely disgusting.
                Lets get it straight, if I want to have ten wives it's non of your business. If some pedophile child abuser wants to sell his kids off for eternal salvation he needs to go to jail. See the difference? Good.

Comment

Originally posted by Hambergler View Post
                  Lets get it straight, if I want to have ten wives it's non of your business. If some pedophile child abuser wants to sell his kids off for eternal salvation he needs to go to jail. See the difference? Good.
                  You don't really understand how it works.

The men setup the marriages far in advance, many times when the girl is too young to even understand the concept. Then, they send the young boys off to "see the world." By the time they come back, these girls are now married off to much older men.

Why do they put up with this? For the same reason many other abuse people stay in relationships they couldn't: they have no choice as far as they're concerned. And these girls tend to have it a lot worse. You might say "oh they could leave."

It's all about indoctrination and information control. For the most part, these closed sects keep information about the outside world away from their children. So, it's basically: eschew your family and leave with nothing into a world you know little of anything about.

Or stick around and maintain the status quo. Limiting choices is limiting freedom, no matter how you want to look at it.

And we give these people the ability to do this under the guise of "religious freedom."

Comment

Polygamy is not exclusive to these ass**** in Arizona. Or to any religion for that matter.

I'm not a religious person and I think I should have the right to have more then one wife if I feel like it. I don't need the government telling me it's not moral. I'm not talking about child rape or child slavery or young girls sold to old men. I'm talking about between consenting adults. Why on earth is polygamy or polyandry illegal?

Comment

Is it really consenting adults when your entire life you are raised to believe this is the only way things of this nature should be done?

Please define the difference between selling my 10 year old daughter to my neighbor to be his wife like I was selling him a time-share and raising her to believe she simply has to be his wife at the age of 18 and waiting to take payment until then? As a parent, I can control what they learn. I can home-school them so they only have contact with whom I choose, I can have no television or radio so they know little of the outside world. I can bring them up in a household where I have 8 wives and they are all subservient to my every wish. (otherwise they get punished severely which I make sure she see's to learn to listen and serve the man)

I think you are confusing one's freedom to choose to be in a multi-partner relationship with being indoctrinated into a lifestyle from an early age without being given any choices.
                      Last edited by Morganan; 09-10-2007, 03:20 PM. Reason: speeling>me

Comment

Originally posted by Morganan View Post
                        I think you are confusing one's freedom to choose to be in a multi-partner relationship with being indoctrinated into a lifestyle from an early age without being given any choices.
                        As are you. As terrible as that scenario is that you describe, how does that lead to the conclusion adults shouldn't have the freedom to choose to be in a multi-partner relationship? The law doesn't discriminate between the two cases, it simply states that polygamy is illegal.

For the record, I'm not in favor of Polygamy. I just don't think you've put forth a very clear case for why polygamy is bad. I'm not really sure if I could either.

Comment

I'm not disagreeing with you. My point is are you really a consenting adult when you are indoctrinated basically from birth to believe certain things?

If some guy wants to have 6 wives, more power to him that crazy bastard. As long as everyone involved has a choice in the matter, who are you or I to tell them no? Does a girl who grows up basically in a prison with her parents as jailers even know she has the right to choose?

Comment

Originally posted by Kerostasis View Post
                            As are you. As terrible as that scenario is that you describe, how does that lead to the conclusion adults shouldn't have the freedom to choose to be in a multi-partner relationship? The law doesn't discriminate between the two cases, it simply states that polygamy is illegal.

For the record, I'm not in favor of Polygamy. I just don't think you've put forth a very clear case for why polygamy is bad. I'm not really sure if I could either.
                            Polygamy in of itself is not a bad thing: if a man or woman can support the extra spouses, then it's all well and good.

The issue is that polygamy in practice does not work out that way. It's done in a manner in damn near every society or group that practices it in a way that benefits men and limits the freedom of women.

I'm sure there are some women out there who are perfectly happy in their polygamous marriage. I'm also hedging my bets on the fact that she feels this way because in her mind, there is no other way to live.

Most countries and societies that practice wide-spread polygamy (as in, it's not just a niche idea), women are considered property anyways. So, in effect, there is no better way for a woman to live.

It's practice in America is done is very closed societies that actively work to control the exposure it's women have to mainstream society.

It's easy to support multiple spouses when all they really do is cook, clean, and pop out more children. It's not like these polygamists are flying around Hollywood in BMWs and running up their husband's American Express bill.

Comment

The easy solution is for adults that want to practice this to live together in a communal property and no one gets married...free love for all.... And for God's sake leave the kids out of it. What other people do in their own homes is their business unless they are jeopardizing the welfare of minors, which then makes it the govt's business.
                              B
                              "Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results." Gen. George Patton

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X